Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading PC to gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2011 3:09:03 AM

Hi, I'm trying to help my cousin upgrade his PC without buying a whole new system.

Approximate Purchase Date of new part(s): two weeks
System Usage: GAMING
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, newegg, tigerdirect

Current system:
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz | Wolfdale | Socket 775 LGA
Mainboard: ECS G31T-M v1.0 | Northbridge Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. 10 | Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
RAM: Supertalent DDR2 2048 Mbytes | 5.0-5-5-15-20 @ 333 MHz | 2T
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | 512 MB @ 64 bits
HDD: 7200 RPM | 320 Gb
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

What would you recommend to change that would have the greater effect on gaming? Maybe changing 2 parts...
(buying a quad-core, adding more ram, changing the video card, change the hdd for an sdd.... )

Appreciate your help, thanks...

Alessandro

More about : upgrading gaming

Related resources

Best solution

September 13, 2011 12:16:20 PM

You "Can" upgrade a bit only, but mostly its true you need a new system.
In case you dont want to, here is my advice:

-Check PSU first, to know how much power it can handle.
-Get a nvidia gtx 460 768mb ram (cheapest version you can so that its somewhere close to your cpu effectivness. Also you could get this gpu cheap enought nowdays i think, and going a GTX260 seems a bit... strange now :D . Remmber that Win Xp is a DX9 system if i remmber right, so unless you get vista, you wont get DX10 and 11).
-Get 2 extra gigs ram
-Get a good cpu cooler (futureproof would be best option) and oc cpu.

Now, i dont know if ati gpus can take off the physx off from the cpu in the current generations, but i know nvidia can.
Since your CPU is what will be the bottleneck, getting that extra work off from the cpu will get you some more headroom.

Thats my advice.
September 13, 2011 12:19:04 PM

A new system is not essential, but to be honest it would be a far wiser choice than spending $$ on a system still running XP and a few generations old.
m
l
September 13, 2011 12:19:35 PM

Sadly, if you need a new mobo, cpu and GPU. It's more of a buying new system than an upgrade.
m
l
September 21, 2011 3:19:46 AM

Thanks to all and sorry for the delay... I was having some University work...

@AdrianPerry: I'm buying from Panama city, Panama. Budget could be around $500. Power supply: generic 500W output...

The idea is not to change the mobo, because then he should be buying ram, cpu, gpu and would be too expensive.

I think the main thing would be to get a better gpu, some more ram, update xp to win7...
m
l
September 23, 2011 1:40:21 AM

Best answer selected by -Alessandro-.
m
l
!