Powersupply issues!

browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hello, i just bought a 700w power supply ( it came as a package deal with the case and it so i saved money )
but when i opened it up there was no 4 pin connector to power the CPU >.< i see a 4+4 pin connector but no 4pin connector, i was wondering if they make adapters for this, or am i just out of luck and have to buy yet another power supply? I don't think plugging in half of the 4+4 pin connector is a smart idea, so unless someone says it's fine, then i'm not risking it.

according to the manual, these are the connectors listed on this power supply.

1X 20+4 pin connector
1X 4+4 pin connector
1X PCI E-6 Pin connector
1X PCI E 6+2 pin connector
8X SATA Connectors
7X 4 pin Peripheral Connectors
1 X 4 pin floppy connector

so what should i do?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
That's exactly what your supposed to do, plug half in :) the same as the 20+4 pin motherboard ones, its so they are backwards compatible with motherboards that have 20pin power connectors and 4pin power connectors as well as 24pin and 8pin.

browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
So plugging in the 4+4 pin into the 4pin connector into the JPW2 4 pin connector is fine? you started talking about the 20+4 pin connector and i don't want to fry my motherboard if i plug in the wrong thing.

I'm reading the manuals of both the power supply and the motherboard so if you don't know the JPW2 is i'm sorry!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
20+4 pin is the huge power cable that plugs into the motherboard. There are 2 cables that provide your motherboard with power. The 20+4 pin and the 4+4 pin.

The whole point of the +4 bit is so cables are compatible with all motherboard types. If manufacturers made PSUs with ONLY 24pin and 8pin cables, they would be limiting their market. By making 20+4 and 4+4 users that need 24pin and 8pin AND users that need 20pin and 4pin AND users that need 24pin and 4pin can all use the same PSU's.

Probably all sounds confusing, but just plug in what you need :)

browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Okay, thanks alot!

I was just scared to burn out my motherboard and ruin everything if i plugged in a random plug into the slot.

Do i need to be careful on which plug to plug in? I see 1 that just says 4 and one that says 4+