Closed

Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 4:22:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

.. 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
Bayer RGB
.. ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
.. 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
(Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
.. 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
.. Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
.. Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
.. Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
.. DOF data display in metric or imperial units
.. DOF preview
.. Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
.. 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
.. 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
.. Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
.. Built in GN 12 flash
.. 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
.. In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
.. NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
.. USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
.. In camera Adobe® DNG option
.. Magnesium-titanium shell
.. Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
.. All photographic controls on buttons and dials
.. Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
.. 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee

OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
.. 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
CF cards
.. Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
.. Additional CF card slot (I / II)
.. Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
.. Firewire
.. PocketWizard® transceiver
(Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
.. NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
.. Voice memo recorder
.. CF card storage compartment (2 cards)

There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

Cheers,
Alan

2005.04.01
Hee-hee. P D'A
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:23:00 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

(snipped)
> 2005.04.01
> Hee-hee. P D'A

Nice joke Alan.

Walt
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:23:00 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
> . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
> . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
> . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
> . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
> . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
> . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
> . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
> . DOF preview
> . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
> . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
> . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
> . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
> . Built in GN 12 flash
> . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
> . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
> . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
> . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
> . In camera Adobe® DNG option
> . Magnesium-titanium shell
> . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
> . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
> . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
> . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>
> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
> . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
> . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
> . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
> . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
> . Firewire
> . PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
> . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
> . Voice memo recorder
> . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>
> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:

Sounds like it's a competitor to the Canon EOS 1D Mark II, more than the
20D. Any pricing information?

Glad to see that Nikon has finally embraced a CMOS sensor, and has
increased the sensor size to get rid of the 1.5 crop factor.

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

Link does not work.
April 1, 2005 4:23:00 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> . Image preview on monitor
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> 2005.04.01
> Hee-hee. P D'A

Eh, right.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:23:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),
An exception cute dog, then. AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
inferior format. Less appreciated in the world of MF digital back.
Maybe it takes an AA filter like a dog to make the difference.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:23:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),
An exception cute dog, then. AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
inferior format. Less appreciated in the world of MF digital back.
Maybe it takes an AA filter like a dog to make the difference.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:27:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
>. 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
>. ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
>. 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
>. 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
>. Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
>. Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
>. Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
>. DOF data display in metric or imperial units
>. DOF preview
>. Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
>. 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
>. 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
>. Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
>. Built in GN 12 flash
>. 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
>. In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
>. NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
>. USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
>. In camera Adobe® DNG option
>. Magnesium-titanium shell
>. Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
>. All photographic controls on buttons and dials
>. Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
>. 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>
>OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
>. 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
>. Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
>. Additional CF card slot (I / II)
>. Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
>. Firewire
>. PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
>. NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
>. Voice memo recorder
>. CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>

>There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>
>Cheers,
>Alan

You forgot to say; "MSRP $7500."
-Rich
April 1, 2005 8:18:46 AM

Yakov Chiu wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>>
>> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
>> Bayer RGB
>> . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
>> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
>> . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
>> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
>> . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
>> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
>> . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
>> . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
>> . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
>> . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
>> . DOF preview
>> . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
>> . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
>> . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
>> . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
>> . Built in GN 12 flash
>> . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
>> . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
>> . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
>> . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
>> . In camera Adobe® DNG option
>> . Magnesium-titanium shell
>> . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
>> . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
>> . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
>> . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>>
>> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
>> . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
>> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
>> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
>> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
>> CF cards
>> . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
>> . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
>> . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
>> . Firewire
>> . PocketWizard® transceiver
>> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
>> . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
>> . Voice memo recorder
>> . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>>
>> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
>

> Sounds like it's a competitor to the Canon EOS 1D Mark II, more than the
> 20D. Any pricing information?
>
> Glad to see that Nikon has finally embraced a CMOS sensor, and has
> increased the sensor size to get rid of the 1.5 crop factor.
>

>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>

> Link does not work.

The spec. sounds too good to be called D90, even with PRO suffix.
April 1, 2005 8:18:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hmmm, a few hours early aren't you Alan, I see it's already April Fools Day
on your PC clock

Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500
April 1, 2005 8:24:47 AM

Walt Hanks wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>>

> (snipped)
>
>>2005.04.01
>>Hee-hee. P D'A
>>

> Nice joke Alan.
>
> Walt

Does Pentax have a 12MP in the pipeline? If so, what crop factor and
what is the vendor of the sensor?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:31:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Date: Fri Apr 01 00:22:59 EST 2005
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:42:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <424CDAB3.9030006@FreeLunchVideotron.ca>,
Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

Dead link.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:04:44 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
> . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
> . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
> . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
> . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
> . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
> . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
> . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
> . DOF preview
> . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
> . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
> . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
> . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
> . Built in GN 12 flash
> . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
> . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
> . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
> . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
> . In camera Adobe® DNG option
> . Magnesium-titanium shell
> . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
> . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
> . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
> . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>
> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
> . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
> . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
> . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
> . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
> . Firewire
> . PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
> . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
> . Voice memo recorder
> . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>

> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> 2005.04.01
> Hee-hee. P D'A

Hi,
April Fool?
Tony
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:28:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Too early. Next time set your clock ahead!

I was going to do a Canon 3D, too!
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:18:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>Alan Browne writes ...
>
>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking ...

And the April Fool's joke is that you have a Minolta ?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:34:25 AM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

The specs are impressive. Any guess at a price?

Rose Parchen
April 1, 2005 11:03:57 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> . Built in GN 12 flash

Did you mean to say 120? A guide number of 12 would obviously be just to trigger a
slave, so surely it pops up and swivels, right?

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:10:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
>. 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
>. ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
>. 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
>. 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
>. Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
>. Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
>. Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
>. DOF data display in metric or imperial units
>. DOF preview
>. Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
>. 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
>. 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
>. Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
>. Built in GN 12 flash
>. 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
>. In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
>. NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
>. USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
>. In camera Adobe® DNG option
>. Magnesium-titanium shell
>. Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
>. All photographic controls on buttons and dials
>. Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
>. 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>
>OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
>. 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
>. Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
>. Additional CF card slot (I / II)
>. Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
>. Firewire
>. PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
>. NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
>. Voice memo recorder
>. CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>

>There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>
>Cheers,
>Alan

Damn, I was ready to trade my S3 for that beauty.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:33:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote
> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

As usual, Nikon is too late with too little, or for us in the USA, perhaps a
few hours early. The Sigma SD-30, mentioned in another thread as announced
today, April 1, 2005, has a much nicer feature set. Plus the Sigma has the
highly desirable universal mount, surely the engineering feat of the
millennia. It may well be time for me to trade in my trusty Kodak Pony 135.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:25:16 PM

Darrell wrote:

> Hmmm, a few hours early aren't you Alan, I see it's already April Fools Day
> on your PC clock

I wanted to go to bed.

April 1, 2005 12:26:15 PM

Tony Hwang wrote:

>> 2005.04.01
>> Hee-hee. P D'A
>>
> Hi,
> April Fool?
> Tony

Not you it appears...
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:27:12 PM

Dave R knows who wrote:

> Too early. Next time set your clock ahead!

I did. Wanted to go to bed.

> I was going to do a Canon 3D, too!

I'm looking to see what other creative minds have been at work...

April 1, 2005 12:32:46 PM

Steve wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> . Built in GN 12 flash
>

> Did you mean to say 120? A guide number of 12 would obviously be just to
> trigger a slave, so surely it pops up and swivels, right?

Most built in flashes are about GN 12 (meters). It's enough to make a
good exposure at ISO 100 f/4 out to a few meters, or ISO 400 out to a
few more. I use mine to control my wireless flashes or trigger studio
lights.

Cheers,
Alan

April 1, 2005 12:55:32 PM

Dave R knows who wrote:

> Too early. Next time set your clock ahead!
>
> I was going to do a Canon 3D, too!

Well my server said it was posted at 06:22 on Friday 1/4/05 so :-P

Not everyone is in a US time zone.

--
Ronnie Sellar
Anonymous

jfitz wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote
>
>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>

> As usual, Nikon is too late with too little, or for us in the USA, perhaps a
> few hours early. The Sigma SD-30, mentioned in another thread as announced
> today, April 1, 2005, has a much nicer feature set. Plus the Sigma has the
> highly desirable universal mount, surely the engineering feat of the
> millennia.

The Sigma SD-30 as announced has so many unrealistic features (esp. the
universal mount and 10 layer sensor) as to make it weak parody. There
is nothing about the D90 PRO that is not feasible.

Cheers,
Alan.

April 1, 2005 1:23:45 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:

>>Alan Browne writes ...
>>
>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking ...
>

> And the April Fool's joke is that you have a Minolta ?

Whatever you like.

April 1, 2005 1:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <GY33e.90$N13.67@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>Yakov Chiu wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like it's a competitor to the Canon EOS 1D Mark II, more than the
>> 20D. Any pricing information?
>>
>> Glad to see that Nikon has finally embraced a CMOS sensor, and has
>> increased the sensor size to get rid of the 1.5 crop factor.
>>

>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>>

>> Link does not work.
>

>The spec. sounds too good to be called D90, even with PRO suffix.

Guys, look at the date...

Yes, it's that time of the year when no real news gets published on the
Internet, and any that does, you can't believe anyway, and the wonders of
world wide communications and time zones mean that we still have nearly an
entire day left of this stuff.

Oh joy.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:04:03 PM

The message <424CDAB3.9030006@FreeLunchVideotron.ca>
from Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> contains these words:

> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

> .. 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
> .. ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
> .. 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
> .. 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
> .. Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
> .. Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
> .. Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
> .. DOF data display in metric or imperial units
> .. DOF preview
> .. Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
> .. 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
> .. 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
> .. Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
> .. Built in GN 12 flash
> .. 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
> .. In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
> .. NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
> .. USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
> .. In camera Adobe® DNG option
> .. Magnesium-titanium shell
> .. Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
> .. All photographic controls on buttons and dials
> .. Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
> .. 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee

> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
> .. 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
> .. Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
> .. Additional CF card slot (I / II)
> .. Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
> .. Firewire
> .. PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
> .. NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
> .. Voice memo recorder
> .. CF card storage compartment (2 cards)

> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

Well I agree with the 12MB CMOS sensor (1.5 crop). Sony has to ramp
up production and is one reason for the delay in introducing the
camera. 1/500 sec flash sync is also highly likely.

Chasseur d'images give the D2X 5 stars which is extremely unusual
and praise the high ISO noise:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&m...

Rob Galbraith has posted his updated CF Database to include the
D2X. The write speed is the highest yet at over 9MB/sec.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

Deryck

> 2005.04.01
> Hee-hee. P D'A
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:16:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

You had me until this bit:

>. In camera Adobe® DNG option

An 'Alan wish list' item.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>

> You had me until this bit:
>

>>. In camera Adobe® DNG option
>

> An 'Alan wish list' item.

No, I really don't care either way about DNG. The "AWI's" here are in
things like the ISO range, preview and low light metering, oversized
viewfinder, power off data xfer, shutter guarantee, wireless datalink,
pocketwizard built in and GPS recording.

But I did have to throw a wide gamut of things at this dream machine to
have fun. Can you imagine the size of the grip I propose!

Cheers,
Alan

April 1, 2005 5:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1112339909.050853.240740@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<einst_stein@yahoo.com> wrote:
>AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
>inferior format. Less appreciated in the world of MF digital back.

I guess the MF people are using poor quality lenses as a substitute for the
AA filter :-)

April 1, 2005 5:09:05 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:32:46 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Did you mean to say 120? A guide number of 12 would obviously be just to
>> trigger a slave, so surely it pops up and swivels, right?
>
> Most built in flashes are about GN 12 (meters). It's enough to make a
> good exposure at ISO 100 f/4 out to a few meters, or ISO 400 out to a
> few more. I use mine to control my wireless flashes or trigger studio
> lights.

I'd love to see a camera's flash able to be set to a GN of 1 or
less. It would make an ideal slave trigger since it wouldn't put
great demands on the battery and would allow the camera to shoot
continuously about as fast as a really quick slave could recycle.
My own little P&S has an EV adjustment for the flash, but I haven't
played with that yet, and the amount of adjustment isn't very great.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:18:20 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 05:08:15 -0800, Yakov Chiu wrote:

> I also would have liked a digital thermometer, altimeter,
> and compass built in.

Nikon is subcontracting that model out to a Swiss company. The
camera will remain substantially black but with lots of red trim.
It will be exclusively available in the USA from The Sharper Image.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:20:26 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:33:31 -0500, "jfitz" <jfitz@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote
>> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
>As usual, Nikon is too late with too little, or for us in the USA, perhaps a
>few hours early. The Sigma SD-30, mentioned in another thread as announced
>today, April 1, 2005, has a much nicer feature set. Plus the Sigma has the
>highly desirable universal mount, surely the engineering feat of the
>millennia. It may well be time for me to trade in my trusty Kodak Pony 135.

I'm waiting for the Sigma 3D-30 which should be announced around this
time next year; very similar capabilities except it has two binocular
universal mounts that can capture three dimensional images.

I also heard the next set of canons will all support java plugins,
(instead of having to hack the firmware each time) so the camera
becomes fairly customizable within the canon community.

I'm going to stick with the D70 for a while more, just wait and see.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Happy April...
:)
"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
> Bayer RGB
> . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
> . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
> . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
> . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
> . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
> . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
> . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
> . DOF preview
> . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
> . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
> . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
> . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
> . Built in GN 12 flash
> . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
> . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
> . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
> . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
> . In camera Adobe® DNG option
> . Magnesium-titanium shell
> . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
> . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
> . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
> . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
>
> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
> . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
> CF cards
> . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
> . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
> . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
> . Firewire
> . PocketWizard® transceiver
> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
> . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
> . Voice memo recorder
> . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
>

> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> 2005.04.01
> Hee-hee. P D'A

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:35:48 PM

"ittsy" <leicarose@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
> The specs are impressive. Any guess at a price?
>
> Rose Parchen

Not sure, but I suspect it will cost in the neighborhood of April 1st.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:40:29 PM

Yakov Chiu wrote:
[]
> The universal mount is a long overdue feature. It must have been
> quite a mechanical, electrical, and software engineering feat, to
> pull this off, especially without the use of adapters.

It's almost here with the 4/3 system.....

David
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:53:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>
> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)

That 1.33 crop makes this sound like today is April 1.

FWIW, there's no reason Nikon can't simply put the 12MP D2x sensor in the
D70 and sell it at the same price as the 20D. Unless Sony is ripping Nikon
off outrageously for the sensor.

Now that would be a 20D competitor (the high ISO noise would make it a
competitor, not a killer), but it might force Canon to come out with an EOS
3D with the 1Dsmk2 sensor in the US$2500 to US$3000 range.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

www.digitalcamera.jp

F6D
18MP sensor, blah, blah....
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:57:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

> Does Pentax have a 12MP in the pipeline? If so, what crop factor and
> what is the vendor of the sensor?

Pentax _claims_ to have an 18MP (I think it was) _645_ camera in the
pipeline using a Kodak sensor. IMHO, the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise
problems, no AA filter), so I'm not trading in my Mamiya 645 kit just yet.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
April 1, 2005 5:57:36 PM

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>>Does Pentax have a 12MP in the pipeline? If so, what crop factor and
>>what is the vendor of the sensor?
>

> Pentax _claims_ to have an 18MP (I think it was) _645_ camera in the
> pipeline using a Kodak sensor. IMHO, the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise
> problems, no AA filter), so I'm not trading in my Mamiya 645 kit just yet.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I know about the new MF that is using Kodak's sensor. How about 35mm?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:21:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:48:04 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Owamanga wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500, Alan Browne
>> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>>

>> You had me until this bit:
>>

>>>. In camera Adobe® DNG option
>>
>> An 'Alan wish list' item.
>
>No, I really don't care either way about DNG.

You and the rest of the world alike then...

> The "AWI's" here are in things like the:

* ISO range - okay.

* Preview - shoot, delete. There's your preview in 3 button presses.

* Low light metering - okay.

* Oversized viewfinder - hmm, okay.

* Power off data xfer - Card reader. Please don't use the camera for
this, you'll only get your leg or chair wrapped up in a USB cable one
day and the thing will take a spin for the floor.

* Shutter guarantee - hmmm. It's digital, so it'll be trash in 2 years
either way. It's like 20 year anti-rust guarantee on a car.. these
days, who cares?

* Wireless datalink - Power off data xfer *AND* wireless datalink,
come on, make up your mind <g>

* pocketwizard built in - ?

* GPS recording - what on Earth (pun intended) for?

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:

> * Power off data xfer - Card reader. Please don't use the camera for
> this, you'll only get your leg or chair wrapped up in a USB cable one
> day and the thing will take a spin for the floor.

No issue so far. K-M made the cable quite short so no room to get tangled.

> * Shutter guarantee - hmmm. It's digital, so it'll be trash in 2 years
> either way. It's like 20 year anti-rust guarantee on a car.. these
> days, who cares?

Me. I hope to use the camera for at least 5 years even if I do get
another body with higher res.

> * Wireless datalink - Power off data xfer *AND* wireless datalink,
> come on, make up your mind <g>

One's in the body, one's in the grip for that image greedy pro.

> * pocketwizard built in - ?

If you know what it is, you know the value. I've rented these on
occasion. I'll eventually buy a set.
http://www.pocketwizard.com/

> * GPS recording - what on Earth (pun intended) for?

Documenting locations. I just put the interface, not a receiver.

Cheers,
Alan

April 1, 2005 6:21:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:09:11 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>> * pocketwizard built in - ?
>
>If you know what it is, you know the value. I've rented these on
>occasion. I'll eventually buy a set.
>http://www.pocketwizard.com/
>

>> * GPS recording - what on Earth (pun intended) for?
>
>Documenting locations. I just put the interface, not a receiver.

I expect the next generation of digital cameras to have Pocketwizard
built in since most of the new lightmeters and studio power packs have
it.

Nikon beat you to the GPS interface already.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:21:24 PM

McLeod wrote:

> Nikon beat you to the GPS interface already.

Sure, and some other items too. I was just building the mother of all
Nikon DSLR's.

April 1, 2005 7:34:54 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:18:46 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Yakov Chiu wrote:
>> Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
-sniperz...

The mink lined viewfinder was the give-away

nice one
Ken
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

news:D 2jkv3$sp4$6@inews.gazeta.pl...

> The Sigma SD-30 as announced has so many unrealistic features (esp. the
> universal mount and 10 layer sensor) as to make it weak parody. There
> is nothing about the D90 PRO that is not feasible.

Do not underestimate the power of Sigma and Foveon.

Sigma already makes lenses that don't work properly on other mounts, they
should have no trouble extending this to the SD-30.

Foveon hasn't had a new product in over two years, and their next big thing
will have to be more layers than just three.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:44:00 PM

<einst_stein@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),
> An exception cute dog, then.

A noisy dog. With sites that large, ISO 800 should be clean. As it is, ISO
200 is problematic. And you don't want to look too closely at the blue
channel at ISO 100.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/valeo...

"This channel on the Kodak was very noisy in the shadow areas while on the
Valeo there is little noise difference between the Blue and the other two
channels."

.... "Finally, it needs to be noted that all tests were done at ISO 100."

> AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
> inferior format.

A Bayer sensor without an AA filter is not a good idea, whatever the format.
Unless you like Moire.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:54:20 PM

"Yakov Chiu" <chiuynospam@sbc.com> wrote in message
> jfitz wrote:
>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote
>>
>>>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
>>

>> As usual, Nikon is too late with too little, or for us in the USA,
>> perhaps a few hours early. The Sigma SD-30, mentioned in another thread
>> as announced today, April 1, 2005, has a much nicer feature set. Plus
>> the Sigma has the highly desirable universal mount, surely the
>> engineering feat of the millennia. It may well be time for me to trade
>> in my trusty Kodak Pony 135.
>
> The universal mount is a long overdue feature. It must have been quite a
> mechanical, electrical, and software engineering feat, to pull this off,
> especially without the use of adapters.

I understand they do it with a, "roundtable" of 5 mounts on the face of the
camera. Kind of like a 5 CD player....You just rotate the table until the
mount of your choice is in front of the business port of the camera.....
!