I3 2100 vs 960t

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have bad psu (400w noname), im buying a new mobo and cpu, im looking for a cpu in price range of i3 2100 and 960t.
since i have a bad psu, shuld I go with I3? It spends only 65W and on benchmarks i see that i3 is a good cpu, but it has only 2 real cores, but later i could upgrade to i5-i7, and even IB if i get the right mobo right?
960t has 4 real cores and spends 95w so im not sure if its smart to buy it, and people are saying that box cooler isnt any good, so would I need new psu and cooler for it?
I have also considered fm1 athlon 631 a cheap quad, and BD fx-4100.
Btw, pc is for gaming, and I wouldn't oc.

Yea go I3 and later as a single fairly large upgrade you can get the i5 2500 or 2600. I would reccomend overclocking though to me its kind of a why not type of thing I mean if you get a non K edition you can only go up 4 multipliers but it garanteed to work and its free speed...

Thent

the 960t is the only good quad core cpu AMD have left on shelves, its a bargain, and can have 2 extra cores unlocked with the right motherboard. but since you wouldn't OC and its for gaming and you have a crap PSU, get the i3 2100. But also remember your PSU's main power draw in a gaming PC will be the vid card, so you might want to update the psu anyway.

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ok thanks,il go with i3 than. Can someone recommend me a cheap but good mobo?(no asrock)and should I buy the one that will support IB?

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
eh, I had some bad experience with asrock. But ok, if you say its good il consider it.
Does it has to be that board? its pretty expensive, or are z68 only boards that will support IB?
Would this one be good? Gigabyte GA-P67-DS-B3

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I have geforce9600t, i think it should be good for now, I thought about buying i3 first and than when going for upgrade to buy a new PSU and GPU, and later on a CPU.

As a gigabyte board owner, P67 and Z68 chipsets are prone to out the box or intermitted boot loop issues, sadly I am told it is very frequent with Gigabyte right now, other than that, when things work it is a solid manufacturer and the quality is perfect, I would rather look at a better board than the DS range, look at the UD3R or UD4 for budget.

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I cant find UD3R in the store, and only UD4 board costs $280 GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4.

If you go with a Z68 look at the Z68XP-UD3, otherwise the P67A-UD4. Just consider the problems I stated above, it happened to me and it has from my supplier been a frequent RMA issue. But you may get a perfect board in which case it is pretty solid. Considering you need a better PSU as well you may be looking into a bit of cash being thrown out, in which case a i3 will hold out for a while yet but if you can go straight to i5 you will save long term.

H61 will work sufficiently with any non K processor and give efficient performance and be cheaper. If you can go with a i5 over the i3 you will essentially save down the line as you won't have to buy a new processor and have another virtually as a spare. I would say that with a good H61 build you will get more or less the same performance as anyone else running stock speeds even with better chipsets.

Only go with the i3 if you really need to save the cash immediately, or else look at settling on a 2400

Uther39

Distinguished
Im afraid to say that i think you have your priorities wrong, the first thing you should be buying is a decent 600-650w PSU from XFX,Corsair,Antec,Silverstone,Seasonic first, it can not be overstated that this is the most important part of any decent PC.

True, a PSU determines what kind of system you wish to ultimately run, but from the discussions above this is not going to be a system that requires a 650w PSU, unless someone starts throwing around a GTX 580 like they normally do.

gamer951

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Damn i3 2100 is now min 170$ here, I think il rather go with fx 4100/960t (150$) buy a cheap am3+ mobo(85$), and solid psu.(50$) CORSAIR 430W, CX Series CMPSU-430CXV2EU, 12cm vent, is it good?