Nikon Picture Project Software - slow

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 1, 2005 8:02:35 PM

I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
with this software.
Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
system)
It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
deal with this.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:02:36 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:02:35 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
<nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

>I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
>with this software.
>Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
> Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
>System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
>system)
>It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
>deal with this.

Dump PP and dl NikonView from the Nikon Tech Support website.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 1, 2005 8:02:36 PM

Nikon Capture is pretty slow with raw files also.

Frederick wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
> with this software.
> Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
> Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
> System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
> system)
> It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
> deal with this.
April 1, 2005 8:02:36 PM

"Frederick" <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem with
> this software.
> Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
> Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
> System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
> system)
> It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
> deal with this.

Noone uses PP. The mere mention of it brings me nightmares. Downoad nikon
view and give it a try (free and not a trial version). Think about elements
3, not expensive and does a lot! Handles nef files. Picasa 2 is free from
googe and I love it. Handles nef files (but no raw converter). Rawshooter
essentials is free -decent raw converter. Good luck.
April 1, 2005 10:21:30 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:02:35 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
> <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
>>with this software.
>>Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
>> Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
>>System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
>>system)
>>It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
>>deal with this.
>

> Dump PP and dl NikonView from the Nikon Tech Support website.

Thanks for that - I have a trial Nikon View from the disks that came
with the camera. I am waiting for delivery/availabilty (New Zealand) of
a printer (Epson R1800) before I give the one month trial a go.
Your reply didn't quite answer my question - but I think you are saying
that Nikon View is much better.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:21:31 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:21:30 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
<nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for that - I have a trial Nikon View from the disks that came
>with the camera.

I think you mean Nikon Capture. That's what the trial should be for.
NikonView is what used to be bundled with cameras before PP. It's got a
much better interface. It's free off the website. But you will see how
"quick" things are with it. Takes around 4 sec for a NEF I drag and drop
onto open Capture on a n XP3200+, but I'm also running a raid 0 drive with
two WD 10krmp Raptor sata drives.

> I am waiting for delivery/availabilty (New Zealand) of
>a printer (Epson R1800) before I give the one month trial a go.
>Your reply didn't quite answer my question - but I think you are saying
>that Nikon View is much better.

Again yes. The PP interface is just brain dead imo. NV's interface is
similar to Capture without all the added controls for adjusting the raw
conversion process. I used NV to convert raw from my 5700. when I'd shoot
it once in a while. Now that I mostly shoot raw, I'm using Capture. I don't
use either to print to an R800. For that I use Qimage.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 1, 2005 10:25:14 PM

"LarryLOOK" <anonlmp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Frederick" <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
with
> > this software.
> > Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
> > Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed
etc.
> > System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
> > system)
> > It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
> > deal with this.
>
> Noone uses PP. The mere mention of it brings me nightmares. Downoad
nikon
> view and give it a try (free and not a trial version). Think about
elements
> 3, not expensive and does a lot! Handles nef files. Picasa 2 is free
from
> googe and I love it. Handles nef files (but no raw converter).
Rawshooter
> essentials is free -decent raw converter. Good luck.

It is even easier to just use a card reader and Photoshop. The only
advantage for any of the other things is that they clean out the card for
you.
Jim
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:35:54 AM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It is even easier to just use a card reader and Photoshop. The only
> advantage for any of the other things is that they clean out the card for
> you.
> Jim

Not for me, as Photoshop CS doesn't have a RAW converter for my Nikon D2X
!