Sign in with
Your question

after installin new graphics card Computer turns on then off......

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2011 9:10:52 PM

My friend gave me a Graphics card he didnt need any more because he got a new one. every time i put it in a black slot that it fits in i turn on my computer it turns On the fan is loud then turns off then on then off then on... I dont know what the problem is. I have a Inspiron 530(not slim) with windows 7. The graphics card says its " e-GeForce 8400GS, 256MB DDr2. also my friend pretty much has the same computer except its slim.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 11:39:58 PM

I have the GeForce 8400GS in an Optiplex 745 and I experience similar performance. This is the issue with Dell, and could be related to the initial power draw from the PSU. The PSU is 305 watts, and the PSUs that Dell puts in their stock computers are not the greatest in the world.

As long as the computer starts and runs, it is fine.
December 14, 2011 10:30:06 PM

so its the graphics card? or is it my psu?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2011 10:48:09 PM

PGFresh said:
so its the graphics card? or is it my psu?

Both! The combination.

The computer boots ok, so leave it alone.
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 1:34:56 PM

PGFresh said:
aight. But i just ordered this graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you think it'll work?

Last week I installed a similar one but from EVGA in my Dell Optiplex 755 which has a 305 watts generic PSU. Installed a week ago, EVGA Geforce GT 430; working fine. The specs call for a 300 watts PSU.

Based on this, your Graphics card should work fine.
December 16, 2011 5:46:19 PM

aight thanks man
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 9:38:22 PM

PGFresh said:
aight. But i just ordered this graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you think it'll work?

It uses around twice as much power as an 8400 GS, if you're having power issues to begin with it's probably a good bet that a more power hungry card won't work.
Since we don't really know if it's a power issue and you've ordered a new card ain't much more to say but good luck.

PS;
The little Delta built Dell 305w is a much more capable psu than it's wattage conveys.
December 17, 2011 2:13:56 AM

aight thanks man. Its arriving tomarrow lol
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 5:01:42 PM

PGFresh said:
aight thanks man. Its arriving tomarrow lol

Let us know how everything works out!
!