Your question

Core i5 2500k running at 72c on idle

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:08:08 PM

So I just bought an asks sabertooth mobo and the core i5 2500k and I'm getting 72c on idle just after boot in bios. Im using the stock cpu fan, but is this right?

Ps: Computer has been crashing. Pretty sure is the CPU overheating...

More about : core 2500k running 72c idle

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:14:17 PM

no this is definitely not right. Make sure the fan is tight and secured properly,
have you plugged it in lol is the fan spinning?

Does you case have exhaust fans that spin?

Does the system boot into windows? download Hardwaremonitor from www.cpuid.com and use that monitor your temperatures
m
l
December 13, 2011 10:19:54 PM

The CPU fan is tight in there but I never installed one like that, but you just push down the corner pins right?

m
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:34:42 PM

Pull the heatsink/fan off and re-apply thermal paste. Then put the heatsink/fan back on and make sure its seated right. If the fan is working then my guess is either the heatsink isn't seated right or you used to much thermal paste.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 11:23:11 PM

he doesnt need to use any thermal paste as it's the stock fan with thermal paste already on it. Even if the thermal paste sucks it doesnt lead to 72C idles.

You put the cpu fan on, push down on the 4 pins diagonally like top left corner, then bottom right corner, then top right corner, and finally the bottom left corner... and you then have to turn them all 90degrees to lock it.

answer these questions for yourself, are your case fans spinning? is the cpu fan spinning?

and what is your temperature from hardwaremonitor when booted into windows?

Also another thing: your bios isnt a real idle temperature, im pretty sure it's working your cpu hard, google it and you will see. Even on my asus mobo (and many others - google high bios temp and you will see) it is higher in bios

Your real IDLE temp would be to do what I said, go into windows and download and install hardware monitor from www.cpuid.com
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
December 13, 2011 11:27:35 PM

Yes but if he pulls off the heatsink to see if its seated right he will have to wipe off the stock thermal paste and re-apply it.
m
l
December 13, 2011 11:44:38 PM

amirp said:
he doesnt need to use any thermal paste as it's the stock fan with thermal paste already on it. Even if the thermal paste sucks it doesnt lead to 72C idles.

You put the cpu fan on, push down on the 4 pins diagonally like top left corner, then bottom right corner, then top right corner, and finally the bottom left corner... and you then have to turn them all 90degrees to lock it.

answer these questions for yourself, are your case fans spinning? is the cpu fan spinning?

and what is your temperature from hardwaremonitor when booted into windows?

Also another thing: your bios isnt a real idle temperature, im pretty sure it's working your cpu hard, google it and you will see. Even on my asus mobo (and many others - google high bios temp and you will see) it is higher in bios

Your real IDLE temp would be to do what I said, go into windows and download and install hardware monitor from www.cpuid.com

Here is what my HW Monitor looks like.

Now my BIOS says my temp for CPU is at 63c ... which one do I trust? I keep crashing when trying to play something, screen goes black but comp doesnt reset, have to manually shut down..
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 11:58:29 PM

hw monitor you can trust, so your temperatures are decent

your bios like I said is not really your idle temperatures. When I had the stock cooler on my 2500k and on my asus Mobo (like yours) I remember in bio it would go to around 55 degrees, which I at first thought was too much, but my idle temps were around the same as yours 35-39 C using HWmonitor.
Your problem isn't overheating though, unless you are playing for a while and it crashes. It could be software related, make sure everything is updated, direct x is installed, graphics drivers from nvidia etc. etc. also try multiple games.
List your full system specs including power supply also.

And finally you really should get a aftermarket cpu cooler for the 2500k, the stock one I found to be loud and barely adequate for me. I have a scythe mugen on mine , idle at ~30, and load at ~49-50 at stock, and ~60 at 4.5ghz.
m
l
December 13, 2011 11:59:38 PM

40°C is an alright temp.

It's not the best but intel stock coolers arn't exactly the best coolers, keep an eye on the temp in game so you can get a good idea of load temp.
m
l
December 14, 2011 12:16:14 AM

I don't know much about the 2500k and the "normal" temps you should see, but I would be mildly concerned. Just like others have said, BIOS isn't exactly your idle temp. It does not step down the voltages or multipliers like it would in windows. But that still seems hot even for that.

I have Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz, which I thought should run hotter than the sandy bridges and it runs at around 40 Celsius in BIOS. I have really good airflow however, and I undervolted. I would check your airflow and thermal paste and what not.

Also, check your loaded temps. If it gets above 80, be very concerned, at least by my standards. I would think you would want to sit below 70. Once again, I don't know your processor so I don't know what is normal. Any 2500 people can confirm this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2011 12:18:48 AM

^you're right, but in bios with stock even 50C is fine. But 72 is borderline too much - maybe he was in bios for a while.
Would be easy if we knew his case, and other components. The stock intel cooler is a POS...and is barely adequate.

but at least his windows idles are fine, which means CPU is probably normal and it is something else causing him to crash when he launches a game.
m
l
!