Closed

Upgraded to E8500, now no POST?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:18:33 PM

Hello,

I just upgraded my EVGA e-7150/630i MB from a Pentium D 945 to a Core 2 Duo E8500.
I put it back together, turned it on and NO POST!
This MB specifications indicate it will support this CPU.
Any suggestions to get this box running would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Russ

More about : upgraded e8500 post

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:43:52 PM

You probably just need to update the bios on your mobo. What version are you running right now?
Score
December 13, 2011 11:17:32 PM

calinkula said:
You probably just need to update the bios on your mobo. What version are you running right now?

I'm not sure, but it's probably the original version I installed when I built this about 3 years ago. How would I go about updating the BIOS? Do I need to put my original CPU back in to get it up and running to update the BIOS?

Thanks
Score
Related resources
a c 235 à CPUs
December 14, 2011 12:11:31 AM

Hate to say it but it is probably a BIOS issue. Your motherboard is from 2007 and supports 1333 FSB and that should include your E8500. But since it was a first generation 1333 FSB support board ( E8500 came out in 2007 probably right at the same time as the board) it likely needs at least a version 2 of BIOS to support the E8500.

This your board?

http://www.evga.com/articles/374.asp

You are going to have to put the old chip back in to boot so you can flash the BIOS.
Score
December 14, 2011 12:56:27 AM

anort3 said:
Hate to say it but it is probably a BIOS issue. Your motherboard is from 2007 and supports 1333 FSB and that should include your E8500. But since it was a first generation 1333 FSB support board ( E8500 came out in 2007 probably right at the same time as the board) it likely needs at least a version 2 of BIOS to support the E8500.

This your board?

http://www.evga.com/articles/374.asp

You are going to have to put the old chip back in to boot so you can flash the BIOS.

I was trying to avoid that, but it sounds like a good plan. That link you posted is GREAT; I downloaded the latest BIOS and instructions for how to do it. The new BIOS updates "Preliminary 45nm CPU support", which is most likely the issue.

That's a job for fresh eyes tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it turns out later in the day.

Thank you for you insight.
Score
December 14, 2011 10:27:59 PM

OK, Today I swapped CPUs and updated the BIOS and ultimately got the computer running with the upgrade to E8500.

The problem I am having now is Windows Update does not function at all. I'm using Windows 7 Professional and when I either go to Start/ Programs and select Windows Update, or get to it from another link, my computer locks up. I tried the "Microsoft Fix-it" utility found on the MS site, but that did not fix anything.

Does anyone have any idea, short of reinstalling the OS, how to get Windows Update functioning again?

Thanks,
Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 14, 2011 10:43:33 PM

Glad to hear you got it running!

Did you reinstall Windows after you upgraded your CPU? If not you will probably need to install updated chipset drivers to go with your new CPU. That may fix your problem.
Score
December 14, 2011 11:38:20 PM

anort3 said:
Glad to hear you got it running!

Did you reinstall Windows after you upgraded your CPU? If not you will probably need to install updated chipset drivers to go with your new CPU. That may fix your problem.

New drivers did install automatically when it recognized a different processor. I'm thinking this is all just updating issues all around. I did, however, get the new CPU from Ebay, used; I have no reason to think the CPU is bad, but is there some utility that can run a check on whether the CPU is bad or good? My window of opportunity for return is tomorrow, but to me, it basically seems to be working and there are only ancillary issues to deal with. At least that's my perspective.

If I need to reinstall Windows, that's a whole different ball game to me and I'll have to wait until I have a plethora of time to do it.
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 14, 2011 11:55:30 PM

Go to the same page you got your new BIOS from and try reinstalling the chipset drivers. Windows 7 is great when it comes to drivers but I have always had to manually install chipset drivers.

If you are booting it sounds like the CPU is fine. If you have doubts about the CPU you can always use Prime 95 to test it.
Score
December 17, 2011 12:15:39 PM

anort3 said:
Go to the same page you got your new BIOS from and try reinstalling the chipset drivers. Windows 7 is great when it comes to drivers but I have always had to manually install chipset drivers.

If you are booting it sounds like the CPU is fine. If you have doubts about the CPU you can always use Prime 95 to test it.

Everything seems to be running just fine now, almost.... I updated the chipset drivers, just like you said, and a few other things. Coincidentally there was a HUGE Windows Update that occured during the same timeframe I was installing my new CPU. Like a fool, I ran the updates, 20 total, on BOTH machines that I use on a regular basis. My laptop (Vista) was running, but man was it ever bogged down, and my desktop where I replaced the CPU (Win 7) would stop recognizing USB devices after about 5 minutes following boot, which made it real hard to use the keyboard & mouse. I was in and out of SAFE mode, Repair Windows, updating every driver I could find in Device Manager, and finally found a good bit of stability. There are still some programs that don't seem to be recognized, but I think a good OS clean-up over the holidays will solve lots of issues. I probably should consider Linux again, but so much of what I do "appears to be" MS based.

One other hardware question: I'm using the Mosscool fan/heatsink that I had with the Pentium D 945 cpu on the E8500. I was thinking that since there were high heat issues associated with the Pentium D series, there would be no problem using it on the E8500. I've installed "Core Temp" to monitor the cpu and everyuthing looks to be well within limits, and I will install "Prime 95" when I have more time to mess with this stuff (after my grades get turned in... ya can't piss off the college & the kids...). So, other than the crappy "break away" plastic prongs that attach the fan/heatsink to the MB (I've got a fix for that with nylon screws), do you think there'd be any long term issue caused by retaining this fan/heatsink as long as it seems to be doing it's job well within limts?

Thank you so much, again!
Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 17, 2011 4:57:07 PM

It sounds like you may still have some "broken" drivers. The only way I know to surefire fix that problem for good is a clean install of Windows.
My computer is generally an ongoing upgrade so I manage a reinstall every two years or less. I have to say it makes a huge difference as to how well Windows runs. A "clean" system will be faster and more stable. Also Windows 7 is the least painful version of Windows to install yet. They really have made it much more user friendly.

I THINK that the heat sink for the Pentium D should work fine for your E8500. It is the same socket so it has the same connectors so I don't see why it would not work. Make sure you monitor your temps to be sure.

Download Coretemp :

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

And use it while stressing the CPU with Prime 95 :

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

If your CPU gets hotter than 75C you might want to think about better cooling.
Score
a c 119 à CPUs
December 17, 2011 5:01:37 PM

best thing to do is repair install so windows can replace and activate the hardware abstraction layer. the reason windows is locking up is likely to be that its trying to update for hardware that is no longer attached to the system.
1s its all repaired make sure you take ownership of all drives on your system.
Score
December 18, 2011 1:18:38 PM

All this information you guys are sharing is wonderful! As soon as I can get a break from family activities and things settle down a bit, I will do a Repair Install of Windows 7 and then run that stress test. The highest temp I've seen so far has been 41C, so I think the fan/heatsink may work just fine. Occasionally I loose keyboard & mouse function, which are USB/Bluetooth devices, so probably a Repair Install with updated drivers all around will do the trick.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks!
Russ
Score
December 18, 2011 1:22:00 PM

I forgot to mention, I also lost internect connectivity as well. It says the Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP address. My router & moden are working just fine. Again, Repair Install & updating drivers should fix all....
Score
December 19, 2011 5:17:27 PM

OK... Today I did a System Restore to a point AFTER I installed the new CPU and BEFORE the 20 Microsoft Updates. I have a bit more stability with the system, however it is still not working properly. (No thumbnails for pictures and some other stuff....) I started Repair Install &/or Startup Repair following instructions I found online.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/f/repair...

I installed my Windows 7 Pro DVD, worked through to Compatability Issues and it says that it can NOT upgrade Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Professional. I did not want to delete my files since I don't currently have other storage for my data (thanks to my wife not bringing back my 2TB portable HD from school; she's a middle school teacher, not going back until AFTER the 1st of Jan....)

Other than a "Custom Install", which will wipe ALL my data clean, (and I will have to find a substantial HD to back up to), how can I re-install Windows 7 or at least the new System files & drivers without deleting my personal data?

Somehow I think I'm going to be buying yet another hard drive....
Score
a c 119 à CPUs
December 20, 2011 2:02:00 PM

system restor isnt what i suggested. as soon as you restart your problems will start building again.
Score
December 20, 2011 3:23:00 PM

HEXiT said:
system restor isnt what i suggested. as soon as you restart your problems will start building again.

Hi HEXiT,

I know, however I was loosing keyboard & mouse capabilities very quickly before I did the system restore, which was to a point AFTER I installed the new CPU and BEFORE installing the 20 Microsoft Updates. Those updates just complicated the issue...

I DID proceed with the REPAIR INSTALL, as you suggested, however I got the message that my Windows 7 Pro, SP1 was not compatible for a REPAIR INSTALL. My DVD does not have SP1 included, which may be the issue. If I can get the REPAIR INSTALL to work through and complete, I think it will resolve the issue, like you said. At this point, it appears my only option is to do a CUSTOM INSTALL, which will wipe my hard drive clean. Before I can do that, I need to find about 500 GB of free storage space to back up what I don't want deleted. I'm kicking myself for not creating partitions on that HD and also for letting my wife "borrow" my 2 TB external HD since I can't get access to that until January.

Is there any way I can "activate the hardware abstraction layer" seperate from a REPAIR INSTALL?
Score
a c 119 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:20:48 AM

you say your system started to respond a little better after the restore point? then check for malware. avira and malware bytes should find most infections...
its worth a shot as you cant backup your data...

to remove sp1. open controlpannel/ programms anf features. you sould see a click link at the top left which says view installed updates. click that and look for the sp1 update. rught click and remove it, if all goes well the system will remove sp1 (it takes anywhere up to an hour and a lot of the time it will look like nothing is happening. but be patent) after its removed you will then be able to do a repair install and then you just re-download sp1 form m.s. after the system repair.
Score
December 21, 2011 1:18:50 PM

HEXiT said:
you say your system started to respond a little better after the restore point? then check for malware. avira and malware bytes should find most infections...
its worth a shot as you cant backup your data...

to remove sp1. open controlpannel/ programms anf features. you sould see a click link at the top left which says view installed updates. click that and look for the sp1 update. rught click and remove it, if all goes well the system will remove sp1 (it takes anywhere up to an hour and a lot of the time it will look like nothing is happening. but be patent) after its removed you will then be able to do a repair install and then you just re-download sp1 form m.s. after the system repair.

That sounds good. I just found the SP1 update, its simply called "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)" dated 2/23/2011. I will do this today. If it doesn't work, I just bought ANOTHER 1.5TB external HD from Ebay and, if I'm lucky, it'll be here Friday or Saturday.

Once I get my desktop running normal again, I plan to clean up my old laptop with Vista Home Premium. I don't have the OEM disks, however I have an original unused Vista Ultimate DVD set. Do you think this will work on an older HP with AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK-36, 2GHz CPU and 2GB RAM?

Thanks, Russ
Score
December 21, 2011 2:45:11 PM

It will not let me uninstall the Service Pack, in normal startup or safe mode. Also I tried it with Command Prompt. I guess the files have been "cleaned up", however I don't recall doing that!
Score
a c 119 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 2:48:26 PM

you will have to check with the laptop manufacturer b4 you decide to install. because they often only supply the drivers that the laptop was originally supplied with. ie if it came with xp its likely you will only be able to get xp drivers for it.
so make sure you check there are vista drivers available for your lappy b4 you do anything.
Score
December 22, 2011 12:29:28 PM

Laptop originally came with Vista, but manucturer supplies drivers for Vista & XP. I was thinking about installing XP just so it will run faster. What do you think about that?
Score
a c 119 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 4:57:18 PM

xp will run a little better as its less resource hungry. you cn in theory use vista drivers when the win7 drivers aren't available but that carries a slight compatibility issue...
the probelm with xp is that its reaching its eol so sooner or later there will be no new drivers for it... this shouldnt be a big issue as the old drivers will work well enough. but you will be limited by some new software(not much though) as the manufacturers themselves stop supporting xp.
Score
December 26, 2011 6:32:12 PM

Back to my desktop with an upgraded cpu issue. To recap: I have an EVGA e-7150/630i motherboard that I upgraded from a Pentium D-945 / 3.4GHz cpu to an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 / 3.16GHz cpu. I did update the BIOS, now the computer will boot up, however it is very unstable. The system will not allow me to do a Repair Install. Therefore, I have backed up all the data on an external HD that I recently acquired and began a "Custom" install of Windows 7 from my authentic DVD. I partitioned my 1TB HD to 100MB, 100GB, 100GB, & 795-ish GB, planning to install Win 7, 32-bit OS on a 100GB partition & later on a 64-bit OS on the other 100GB partition.

With the clean install, I am now having similar issues as before. After a short time running, the OS will freeze, to where I have no control from keyboard or mouse, so I can only force shutdown with the power button. I can get Windows Update to occasionally run, sometimes continuing the download after user interface is lost, however most often locking up as well. Sometimes the internet connection is lost, however I know it is good because my other laptop is getting internet connectivity.

I installed Prime 95 & CoreTemp. During a stress test, the highest temp reading I saw on one core was 56C, which I think is well within a normal working range. I was thinking my PSU (Ultra LS-500watt) may not be adequate for the upgraded processor, however when I used a PSU calculator for my system, it suggested power requirements of 193 watts.

Do you have any ideas as to what I should try next?

Thanks, Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 26, 2011 10:31:17 PM

Well Ultra power supplies are about one step above junk except for a few of their high end models but that is probably not the issue. To be honest it just seems like that motherboard does not want to play nice with your E8500. You did not add RAM at the same time as the processor upgrade did you? Hell you can get an LGA 775 motherboard for $50-$60 on newegg. That might be your best bet at this point. That is a very early motherboard that did not natively support the 45nm Wolfdale chips.

If you did add RAM when you upgraded the CPU then run memtest to make sure it's not a bad stick.
Score
December 26, 2011 11:25:13 PM

Hi Reward

Sorry to read about your stress mate, these upgrades should be fairly straight forward. You have done everything right from what I have read and going from my experience,

....but there is one thing you could check. Your P4 is a dual core with hyperthreading. The core 2 is dual core only so please check your bios and make sure you kill the hyperthreading option in the CPU section.

....Hyper threading can affect system performance adversely and needs to be turned off when the feature is available in certain situations. Of course if the CPU does not have hyperthreaded cores then I would expect that the system would play up in the manner you are describing.

anyway good hunting and let's hope it's that simple....
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 12:41:49 AM

harna said:
Hi Reward

Sorry to read about your stress mate, these upgrades should be fairly straight forward. You have done everything right from what I have read and going from my experience,

....but there is one thing you could check. Your P4 is a dual core with hyperthreading. The core 2 is dual core only so please check your bios and make sure you kill the hyperthreading option in the CPU section.

....Hyper threading can affect system performance adversely and needs to be turned off when the feature is available in certain situations. Of course if the CPU does not have hyperthreaded cores then I would expect that the system would play up in the manner you are describing.

anyway good hunting and let's hope it's that simple....

Pentium D chips did NOT have hyperthreading. Two cores two threads. The single core Pentium 4 6xx series were the last to offer hyperthreading until the new Sandy Bridge chips.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27520/Intel-Pentium-D-Pro...(4M-Cache-3_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)
Score
December 27, 2011 1:49:11 AM

In any event, I could not find a line to enable or disable Hyper Threading in the AwardBIOS v6.00PG that I recently updated to. I selected "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and "Load Optimized Defaults"; both times made no impact on the issue; the OS locked up quickly.

I hate to even ask this question, but, would this type of issue be symptomatic of a bad CPU?
Score
December 27, 2011 2:14:32 AM

anort3 said:
Well Ultra power supplies are about one step above junk except for a few of their high end models but that is probably not the issue. To be honest it just seems like that motherboard does not want to play nice with your E8500. You did not add RAM at the same time as the processor upgrade did you? Hell you can get an LGA 775 motherboard for $50-$60 on newegg. That might be your best bet at this point. That is a very early motherboard that did not natively support the 45nm Wolfdale chips.

If you did add RAM when you upgraded the CPU then run memtest to make sure it's not a bad stick.

In retrospect, I know Ultra is not the most reliable PSU available, but I think it is working fine for what it is. This was my first build and I purchased a barebones kit from Tiger Direct a few years ago. I was able to get the EVGA MB because it has dual monitor support with the onboard video. I'm not a gamer, but I do like video real estate. I maxed out the RAM initially, so I did NOT do anything to the RAM with this CPU upgrade.

Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 2:29:53 AM

reward said:
In any event, I could not find a line to enable or disable Hyper Threading in the AwardBIOS v6.00PG that I recently updated to. I selected "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and "Load Optimized Defaults"; both times made no impact on the issue; the OS locked up quickly.

I hate to even ask this question, but, would this type of issue be symptomatic of a bad CPU?

It is much more likely that since that motherboard did not natively support that CPU that the motherboard, even with the updated BIOS is just not going to play nice with the E8500.

A bad CPU is much more likely just to not work at all.
Score
December 28, 2011 12:59:45 AM

anort3 said:

Two of my friends independantly suggested it could be a problem with the bus. I've been looking at MBs on NewEgg; there's quite a selection there and the prices don't look too bad. How the heck should I narrow it down? Asus makes a good board and I'm assuming Intel does also. Do you have any suggestions how to best narrow my search down just a bit?

Thanks, Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 2:30:28 AM

Honestly LGA 775 is so outdated at this point I would just find a board that is from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, AS Rock or Intel that is cheapest. Intel boards are never good overclockers but are generally rock solid as far as supporting things like off brand RAM or other weird peripherals. I assume you have DDR2 so make sure the board supports that.

$40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LGA 775 is a dead socket. If it was me I would sell the E8500 and move up to a new system. You could get a cheap Sandy Bridge setup for pretty cheap that would just walk all over that old E8500. The E8500 still sells for pretty decent on ebay too. Really just if you have the money and are willing to spend it though.

Sandy Bridge would be roughly 40-50% faster clock for clock than the E8500. So a 3.2Ghz Sandy Bridge chip would be roughly 50% faster than the 3.2Ghz E8500. Not to mention the i3 has hyperthreading.

$50 H61 motherboard.
$119 i3 2120 dual core with hyperthreading. 2 physical cores 4 threads. OR
$185 i5 2300 quad core CPU
$25 4GB of DDR3 1333-1600 OR
$45 8GB of DDR3 1333-1600
Score
January 3, 2012 11:30:31 PM

anort3 said:
Honestly LGA 775 is so outdated at this point I would just find a board that is from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, AS Rock or Intel that is cheapest. Intel boards are never good overclockers but are generally rock solid as far as supporting things like off brand RAM or other weird peripherals. I assume you have DDR2 so make sure the board supports that.

$40

LGA 775 is a dead socket. If it was me I would sell the E8500 and move up to a new system. You could get a cheap Sandy Bridge setup for pretty cheap that would just walk all over that old E8500. The E8500 still sells for pretty decent on ebay too. Really just if you have the money and are willing to spend it though.

Sandy Bridge would be roughly 40-50% faster clock for clock than the E8500. So a 3.2Ghz Sandy Bridge chip would be roughly 50% faster than the 3.2Ghz E8500. Not to mention the i3 has hyperthreading.

$50 H61 motherboard.
$119 i3 2120 dual core with hyperthreading. 2 physical cores 4 threads. OR
$185 i5 2300 quad core CPU
$25 4GB of DDR3 1333-1600 OR
$45 8GB of DDR3 1333-1600

I REALLY hear what you're saying about the LGA 775 CPU/MB combo...

Just for the heck of it, I checked the PSU. Voltages were all good at the connector to the MB, except the wire (should be +5v) to pin 20 was missing, and the FAN inside the PSU isn't turning. It's an Ultra LS-500 watt (I think this is my 3rd Ultra POS in this rig).

What do you think, does it sound like its basically a bad PSU?
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 12:24:31 AM

Huh, if the fan is not turning that does sound like a bad PSU. Older Ultra power supplies were junk but from what I have read they have really gone up in quality here lately.

Odd that the power supply should die when you are basically decreasing the load on it. The Pentium D is a 95w processor while the E8500 is a 65w processor. Talk about bad luck.

Anyway if you do replace it go with something from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Antec, XFX, Silverstone or Enermax.

This Corsair is only $45 and is not only recommended by Jonnyguru ( the best power supply test site on the internet in my opinion ) it gives you some room to upgrade in the future if you ever wanted to add a discreet graphics card.

Score
January 5, 2012 10:25:43 PM

anort3 said:
Huh, if the fan is not turning that does sound like a bad PSU. Older Ultra power supplies were junk but from what I have read they have really gone up in quality here lately.

Odd that the power supply should die when you are basically decreasing the load on it. The Pentium D is a 95w processor while the E8500 is a 65w processor. Talk about bad luck.

Anyway if you do replace it go with something from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Antec, XFX, Silverstone or Enermax.

This Corsair is only $45 and is not only recommended by Jonnyguru ( the best power supply test site on the internet in my opinion ) it gives you some room to upgrade in the future if you ever wanted to add a discreet graphics card.

I just replaced my PSU with a brand new one and the same thing is happening. After a few minutes of the computer being ON, my keyboard & mouse stop working and any program that is open appears to be frozen. I just reinstalled the Chipset & Network drivers from the EVGA website and prior to that, I set the BIOS to the Default Settings.

What suggestions might you have at this point?

Thanks,
Russ
Score

Best solution

a c 235 à CPUs
January 5, 2012 10:34:41 PM

reward said:
I just replaced my PSU with a brand new one and the same thing is happening. After a few minutes of the computer being ON, my keyboard & mouse stop working and any program that is open appears to be frozen. I just reinstalled the Chipset & Network drivers from the EVGA website and prior to that, I set the BIOS to the Default Settings.

What suggestions might you have at this point?

Thanks,
Russ

At this point I think if you want that E8500 to work you are going to have to go with a newer motherboard.

The one I listed above is only $40 but my recommendation from the same post stands. If you can afford it then do not put money in a dead socket. Go for a full system upgrade and sell the E8500 on ebay while you can still get something for it.

My last computer was an E8400 I had overclocked to 4.050Ghz for about 3 years. It was a great chip in its day and still runs great for my buddy that I sold it to. It was starting to show its age though when gaming or doing multithreaded tasks like video rendering. It is also slow as Christmas compared to this i7 I have now.
January 5, 2012 11:16:57 PM

anort3 said:
At this point I think if you want that E8500 to work you are going to have to go with a newer motherboard.

The one I listed above is only $40 but my recommendation from the same post stands. If you can afford it then do not put money in a dead socket. Go for a full system upgrade and sell the E8500 on ebay while you can still get something for it.

My last computer was an E8400 I had overclocked to 4.050Ghz for about 3 years. It was a great chip in its day and still runs great for my buddy that I sold it to. It was starting to show its age though when gaming or doing multithreaded tasks like video rendering. It is also slow as Christmas compared to this i7 I have now.

You know, again I think this is probably the best advice to move forward. I'll pop the old Pentium D945 CPU back in so I have it running and work toward an I7 rig. The time and money I put into this is just stupid. I'm sure I can get my money back for the E8500 on EBay if I list it in the near future. I also have an open ticket with EVGA to see what they recommend. Somehow I don't hold high hopes for what they might suggest. Hehehe...

Thank you so much for all your input.
Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
January 6, 2012 12:03:00 AM

Glad to be whatever help I was and I wish I could have helped more. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Either here or feel free to PM me.

Start a new thread when you do want to upgrade to a new setup and I'm sure we can get you a great "bang for your buck" rig up and running.
Score
January 13, 2012 1:32:30 AM

Best answer selected by reward.
Score
January 13, 2012 1:44:07 AM

anort3 said:
Glad to be whatever help I was and I wish I could have helped more. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Either here or feel free to PM me.

Start a new thread when you do want to upgrade to a new setup and I'm sure we can get you a great "bang for your buck" rig up and running.

Well, I'm still muddling around with this quagmire. I got my computer running and fully updated Windows 7 with my old Pentium D 945 CPU and a new power supply. Maybe this weekend I can put the E8500 CPU in and see if AFTER all the updates, it will finally work.

In any case, I want to proceed with looking into building a Sandy Bridge system; preferably i7. I've already got hard drives and can drum up a case. I might even be able to find some video adaptors (since I really want 4 monitors), so I just basically need to pick a MB, RAM & CPU. I certainly will deal with a GOOD PSU this time. I will take anort3's suggestion and start a new thread when I'm closer to beginning the build.

Thank you ALL, again!

Russ
Score
a c 235 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 1:51:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe this weekend I can put the E8500 CPU in and see if AFTER all the updates, it will finally work

Remember it's not Windows stopping you from booting, it is a hardware issue. I would not waste any more time on it personally.

Glad we could help, but I wish we could have got you running with the E8500.

You will NOT regret moving to Sandy Bridge ! Especially from a Pentium D !
Score
!