Why is my CPU only using 20%

recojohnson

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
While extracting 2 huge zip files, running photoshop, and stuff, my processor only uses 20%.

cVdm.jpeg

cVdn.jpeg

cVdE.jpeg

How can I maximize the performance of it.

Thanks

That might be normal for what you were doing. Looking at the task bar graph it looks like all the cores are up and running. You can download CPUZ and see what it says. If all the info checks out I don't see what the problem is.

Looking at the CPU section everything looks ok. What heatsink/fan are you using, stock or aftermarket? If you have an aftermarket cooler you can download HW Monitor and Prime 95 and do a stress test using small FFTs. If everything is working ok it should shoot to 100% CPU usage without any errors or BSOD's You have to be careful though and monitor the temps because if it sky rockets it can over heat and destroy the CPU.

Chipbuster

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
It could also be the software you're running. Some programs, especially if they're set to run "in the background," don't use up all that much in terms of system resources. If you're not actively rendering something in Photoshop with background archiving/compression and a few other programs that aren't active, that's probably what I'd expect to see.

Now, if you start benchmarking the core with something like Prime95 and the cores don't max out, you may have an issue.

recojohnson

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
@rds1220 I am using water cooling , its called CoolIt I believe.
BRGmh.jpg

I will try Prime 95 and HW Monitor now.

Its just my computer runs slow instead of using all the processing power .

@chipbuster even when doing a task my CPU will only jump up to like 30%, I have never seen it full.

I also have REALLY bad lag when using winamp. It will randomly distort when clicking links or doing something related to changing windows or starting applications.

@iam2thecrowe, I have 7zip 64x installed so I don't know why . Could it be that my hard - drive can not perform any faster?

With water cooling you'll be able to stress the CPU without overheating but you still have to watch the temps. Like I said if it's running right you should get 100% CPU usage when running a small FFT stress test. If it doesn't shoot to 100% then there might be something wrong with your CPU or motherboard.

recojohnson

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
My dad bought a copy of TuneUp utilities the other day . 3 computers for 20 dollar or something.

After following all the optimization suggestions my computer completely speed up and became more stable.

I recommend that method -_-

I never would of thought that was actually a legitimate program because there is always so much advertising about it. But it works great.