Sabertooth Z77 Vs P8Z77-Vpro

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello. Getting a motherboard and am stuck between these 2. The sabertooth is only 20$ more where I'm at and in my opinion looks way better. I was going to get the P8 for some time but recently I changed my mind seeing my case does have a clear side panel and has red Sound reactive module and the P8 is blue based. If the performance of both motherboards is the same I will get the sabertooth even though it is 20$ more and if for some reason the P8 is better I'll get it instead. (Performance comes first but if there the same, well its all about the style points)

Solution
The Sbertooth is $30 more at Newegg and I don't know it the price difference is closer at other stores so you would be paying $30 more for looks. he V-Pro has built in w-fi and it accepts more variety of ram speeds. The V-Pro also has four types of video ports while the Sabertooth has two (HDMI , Display Port) So I guess you would be paying $30 for the Tuf Armor and as far as a side Window to show it off , by the time you add everything on the MB I don't know how much of it you will be able to see. Are you going with one video card or two? Any other cards going in besides the video card? If your going with looks you may want to sit back and try to figure out how much will be visible after the build is done.
There is also an interesting...
The Sbertooth is $30 more at Newegg and I don't know it the price difference is closer at other stores so you would be paying $30 more for looks. he V-Pro has built in w-fi and it accepts more variety of ram speeds. The V-Pro also has four types of video ports while the Sabertooth has two (HDMI , Display Port) So I guess you would be paying $30 for the Tuf Armor and as far as a side Window to show it off , by the time you add everything on the MB I don't know how much of it you will be able to see. Are you going with one video card or two? Any other cards going in besides the video card? If your going with looks you may want to sit back and try to figure out how much will be visible after the build is done.
There is also an interesting option in the next MB higher and that's the P8Z77 V-Pro/Thunderbolt , this MB has the new technology called Thunderbolt and while it's not prolific in Pc use right now this is the next big thing. Check it out , $10 more then the Sabertooth.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853

Solution

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

And so is that one better than them both?

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Also I don't know if I'll be needing the other 2 connections, And as for the RAM speed thing I'll Just give you a list of my specs and reckon you'll know if its all good?

CPU Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Corsair H70

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ram G.skill sniper series 16gb (2x8gb)
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5 internal
Storage Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Graphics Card 4gb Asus GTX 670 x2 (SLI)
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 850W
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24
Monitor Asus VG278H 120 Hz 27.0
Operating System Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

The H70 is old, it's outperformed by many current heatsinks for half the price.

Cooler Master PSU's are not very good, grab a Seasonic one for the same price which will be made with much better components.

Ivybridge runs much hotter than Sandybridge while offering minimal improvements. You can get a 2600K that will do everything the 3770K can do for a bit cheaper.

After looking at your list I see that your going with two video cards and that's what I was referring to when I said about the MB being covered up plus your going with the HAF-X case which has a small side window. There is a 200mm fan mounted in the side panel and it pretty much takes up a good amount of the side panel leaving a small window. I have the same case and I ended cutting that fan out and putting a full size pane of plexi in the side so it opened up the whole side. It's a small picture but the picture to the left under my user name is my case.

PU Cooler:THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW DUAL14CM ROUND FAN HEATSINK
http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/ncixus/thermalright-cpu-cooler-silverarrow

CPU Cooler:Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail
http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

:
PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE_BL 5 x?8mm Dual Heat-Pipes Dual 140mm Premium Fans and Quiet CPU Cooler with Patented P.A.T.S Coating
by Phanteks
http://www.amazon.com/PHANTEKS-PH-TC14PE_BL-Heat-Pipes-Premium-Patented/dp/B005OQJVP0/ref=pd_cp_pc_1/178-7594657-4819959 COMES IN RED AND ORANGE TO

Do you have any Thunderbolt devices?

The silent pro series is the only "reasonable" line up, otherwise many other PSU's are much better at the same price point. For the CPU cooler, a Noctua NH-D14 is the best choice.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Cooler wise NH-D14 and Phantek PH-TC14PE largely ties on reviews, If Brown & Dark Brown is your favorite color go for the D14, else you can get Blue/Red/Black/White & Sivlver/Orange Phanteks and not lose one bit in cooling and with PWN adaptor on Phantek it is almost as quiet as well.

Silverarrow is a strong contender but I won't recommend it because it blocks the first PCI-E slot on a lot of motherboards.

I'd recommend the ASUS P8Z77-V or V-Pro(Pro is more expensive but you get a little better extreme OC and 1 more fan header),Sabertooth is all about paying for TUF Armor & Noisy small fan I doubt you really prefer that. Grab a Thunderbolt board if you really forsee yourself using it(read up on that technology).

I personally would just wait for the Haswell & Z87 Chipset comes out with native Thunderbolt header & support but if you won't upgrade again that soon get the TB now if you think you need it.

PSU wise get Corsair or Seasonic, these have are high quality(most Corsair are actually made by Seasonic) and great customer support.

Agree for the most part but i mean if hes going to get such a dope motherboard as we are talking about it's either one of those three heatsinks or a rasa kit otherwise waste of money buying a board like that imo

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Cheapest ASUS Maximus V FORMULA in Australia is 330$

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Single 120 mm radiator heat sink Close loop water can't really compete with high-end air, You have to go 240mm+ radiator heatsink solution to get an slight edge over D14/14PE at a substantial price premium and those 240mm radiator aren't that easy to mount(while most mainstream cases now offer plenty of clearance for D14/14PE).

Top End Air Cooler are enough to get you a comfortable 4.6-4.7 Ghz OC on an i5-3570K, you don't really gain any OC thermal room with a H100/Thermaltake Water Extreme.

OCCT temp with a 4.6Ghz i5-3570K :
b4.jpg

Didn't show D-14 but you can estimate its performance with 14PE as they are about equal in all reviews.

TRENDING THREADS