What Graphics card would you recommend for my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halleycurtis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I was wondering which Graphics card would be sufficient and increase my performance (but not overkill) for my personal needs.
The applications I use are Adobe Premier 5.5, AE 5.5, Photoshop 5.5, and Solid works. I'm not looking for something that's completely hardcore since I'm not looking to spend TONS of money, but I am just wondering what would be a good graphics/video card to increase my performance.

My current CPU is an AMD Athlon II x4 620 with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD.

Please any suggestions will be of great help. Thanks!

Solution
My thoughts? Well, it's that a 460 is overkill for that application, but then in the test setup for the link I sent you they use a GTX 480 ^_^. The Quadro is more for 3d modeling and of course a big reason it costs so much more than it's desktop counterpart (a GT 240 or 430 about) is for the support. If you're going to spend a most of time in solid works then you may want to look at a quadro 2000, but otherwise I think the extra CUDA processing of the 460 would be appreciated in adobe CS 5.5.

The GTX 460 is at a good price right now so go for the 1GB version, though I guess the 768 version is fine too if you want to save a few bucks :D. Just stay away from the cut down SE version.

mute20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
We need a bit more information can you tell us what psu you have? Right now I would recommend a 5570/6 or a 6670. Each cards is quite low end ,but I am sure they will be good enough.

Those versions of The software do not support graphics hardware acceleration they are just too old

I use the 5.0 photo shop.

Halleycurtis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Well my concern is that adobe recommends to have 12GB RAM and also recommends an Nvidia Quadr type of graphics card for CS5.5. Right now I have an Nvidia Geforce 9100 graphics card and only 8GB RAM.

Will this be sufficient for rendering 3D models in solid works and rendering in AE?
Some if the Nvidia Quadr cards are very powerful and much too expensivefor me at this point. Which Nvidia card will increase my performance in such programs without breaking the bank?

If I can afford it, although I do play games so and watch movies a lot using my PC so Audio bitstreaming was important for me.

I like that I have multiple monitor support but I never use it, price vs performance for me since I have a ton of kids and very little time to game.

My thoughts? Well, it's that a 460 is overkill for that application, but then in the test setup for the link I sent you they use a GTX 480 ^_^. The Quadro is more for 3d modeling and of course a big reason it costs so much more than it's desktop counterpart (a GT 240 or 430 about) is for the support. If you're going to spend a most of time in solid works then you may want to look at a quadro 2000, but otherwise I think the extra CUDA processing of the 460 would be appreciated in adobe CS 5.5.

The GTX 460 is at a good price right now so go for the 1GB version, though I guess the 768 version is fine too if you want to save a few bucks :D. Just stay away from the cut down SE version.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.