Aruba trip pictures (with panoramas)

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 3:29:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.caribbean,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have put up the travel pictures from my early February trip to Aruba. 58
pictures from all over the island. Includes a half dozen panoramas ranging
from two images to a 360 degree one made with 22 images stitched together.

All pictures have captions, though some of them have questions. Help
answering them would be appreciated.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/

Note to rec.photo.digital readers:

Pictures taken with a Nikon 8400. For ease of transfer to the web, they
were taken in VGA resolution. Minimal cropping. Compression is Fine (parade
pictures are in Normal and heavily cropped). Pictures used in panoramas
were taken in Extra compression. PTGui was used to stitch the panoramas. It
does take some time to set all the control points. I did try Panorama
Factory on one set, but I ended up with a wavy horizon and saw no way to
fix it. PTGui's horizons are perfect.

The panorama scene mode in the 8400 was useful. It manages the necessary
exposure lock and shows a superimposed image of the prior picture to help
in lining up the next.

Snow/Beaches scene mode was used when on a beach. Dawn/dusk mode for last
four pictures.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link on picture page bottoms).
April 1, 2005 3:29:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.caribbean,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

What are the little piles of rocks all about? Curious. Something strange
happened to your white balance at the end they all turned blue.

Most of the shots are quite wide angle without any foreground, just a
horizon. Maybe try to get something interesting in the foreground and
some more diagonal composition to add interest. Like with the rock
piles, get down on the ground & have one big in the foreground.

Don Wiss wrote:
> I have put up the travel pictures from my early February trip to Aruba. 58
> pictures from all over the island. Includes a half dozen panoramas ranging
> from two images to a 360 degree one made with 22 images stitched together.
>
> All pictures have captions, though some of them have questions. Help
> answering them would be appreciated.
>
> http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/
>
> Note to rec.photo.digital readers:
>
> Pictures taken with a Nikon 8400. For ease of transfer to the web, they
> were taken in VGA resolution. Minimal cropping. Compression is Fine (parade
> pictures are in Normal and heavily cropped). Pictures used in panoramas
> were taken in Extra compression. PTGui was used to stitch the panoramas. It
> does take some time to set all the control points. I did try Panorama
> Factory on one set, but I ended up with a wavy horizon and saw no way to
> fix it. PTGui's horizons are perfect.
>
> The panorama scene mode in the 8400 was useful. It manages the necessary
> exposure lock and shows a superimposed image of the prior picture to help
> in lining up the next.
>
> Snow/Beaches scene mode was used when on a beach. Dawn/dusk mode for last
> four pictures.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link on picture page bottoms).
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:49:12 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:29:10 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

> I have put up the travel pictures from my early February trip to Aruba. 58
> pictures from all over the island. Includes a half dozen panoramas ranging
> from two images to a 360 degree one made with 22 images stitched together.
>
> All pictures have captions, though some of them have questions. Help
> answering them would be appreciated.
>
> http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/

You're stuff is always sight for sore eyes, Don. Thanks.
April 2, 2005 12:26:21 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:02:59 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/
>> Pictures taken with a Nikon 8400.

>What are the little piles of rocks all about? Curious. Something strange
>happened to your white balance at the end they all turned blue.

You mean the second one that was taken facing the sun? Looking at EXIF I
find both were taken in Auto mode (which of course has auto white balance).
I do know that in Auto mode this camera is brain dead in low light. Seems
like the code for that was written with the assumption that the camera
would have image stabilization. A feature you want in a camera, but this
wide angle model doesn't have.

>Most of the shots are quite wide angle without any foreground, just a
>horizon. Maybe try to get something interesting in the foreground and
>some more diagonal composition to add interest. Like with the rock
>piles, get down on the ground & have one big in the foreground.

Ah, make it more arty and less of a straight documentary of the island in
the eyes of the tourist.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link on picture album bottoms).
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:25:22 AM

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
>I have put up the travel pictures from my early February trip to Aruba. 58
> pictures from all over the island. Includes a half dozen panoramas ranging
> from two images to a 360 degree one made with 22 images stitched together.
>
> All pictures have captions, though some of them have questions. Help
> answering them would be appreciated.
>
> http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/
>
> Note to rec.photo.digital readers:
>
> Pictures taken with a Nikon 8400. For ease of transfer to the web, they
> were taken in VGA resolution. Minimal cropping. Compression is Fine
> (parade
> pictures are in Normal and heavily cropped). Pictures used in panoramas
> were taken in Extra compression. PTGui was used to stitch the panoramas.
> It
> does take some time to set all the control points. I did try Panorama
> Factory on one set, but I ended up with a wavy horizon and saw no way to
> fix it. PTGui's horizons are perfect.
>
> The panorama scene mode in the 8400 was useful. It manages the necessary
> exposure lock and shows a superimposed image of the prior picture to help
> in lining up the next.
>
> Snow/Beaches scene mode was used when on a beach. Dawn/dusk mode for last
> four pictures.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link on picture page bottoms).

Great pics considering the "limited" subject matter you were working with.
When I say "limited", Aruba is really somewhat mediocre in terms of scenery
when compared to other Carib islands. However, the really beauty in Aruba
really lies underwater, which makes it a destination dive resort. Now if you
would have posted some underwater pictures, that would have been awesome.
April 5, 2005 9:44:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.caribbean,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 31 Mar 2005, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> postulated in

> I have put up the travel pictures from my early February trip to
Aruba. 58
> pictures from all over the island. Includes a half dozen panoramas
ranging
> from two images to a 360 degree one made with 22 images stitched
together.

> All pictures have captions, though some of them have questions.
Help
> answering them would be appreciated.
>
> http://donwiss.com/pictures/AUA-2005/
>
> Note to rec.photo.digital readers:
>
> Pictures taken with a Nikon 8400. For ease of transfer to the web,
they
> were taken in VGA resolution. Minimal cropping. Compression is Fine
(parade
> pictures are in Normal and heavily cropped). Pictures used in
panoramas
> were taken in Extra compression. PTGui was used to stitch the
panoramas. It
> does take some time to set all the control points. I did try
Panorama
> Factory on one set, but I ended up with a wavy horizon and saw no
way to
> fix it. PTGui's horizons are perfect.
>
> The panorama scene mode in the 8400 was useful. It manages the
necessary
> exposure lock and shows a superimposed image of the prior picture
to help
> in lining up the next.
>
> Snow/Beaches scene mode was used when on a beach. Dawn/dusk mode
for last
> four pictures.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link on picture page bottoms).

Don,

I haven't been to the island since 1999, and it was grand to see it
all again. From your panorama, it seems that there sure has been a
lot of building out at the golf course!

Looks like you had some great weather for your trip.

Thanks for posting these.

--
-- ipgrunt
!