Sign in with
Your question

Asked to build a really great Windows XP based system - need help

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2011 2:33:20 PM

Okay, I know this is an unusual request but I've been asked to help build a good Windows XP based system that will have some decent gaming ability. $800 is my budget.

Here's what I need: Parts that will be compatible with XP Media edition. I will have to upgrade manually to sp3.

I want a quad processor minimum in the 3.0 - 3.4 gigahertz.

Help me choose a GOOD motherboard and hard-drive. (I can handle the GPU)

My concern: Are newer components going to not be compatible with XP.

The Purpose: My friend has lots of games from over the last decade that he wants to play and some of them are not working in his Win 7 system.

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:12:02 PM

Is your friend aware he will be limited to DX9 with a Windows XP system?

Are there no work-arounds that can be used?

Not sure if this would work, but he could install a Windows XP Virtual Machine on his Windows 7 machine?
m
l
September 13, 2011 4:39:58 PM

I'm not as familiar with that. Where could I find some info?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 4:49:46 PM

My experience with Virtual Machines (Server 2008 Hyper-V) only used a virtual display adapter and did not have the full graphic card capabilities; making gaming impossible.

This Microsoft site seems to suggest the same, but may offer the information you're looking for.

Quote:
Windows XP Mode runs many older Windows XP productivity programs

As far as building an XP Only system, the best way (IMO) to determine whether or not a component supports XP is simply checking the manufacturer's web site to see if a particular component has drivers for Windows XP. (whether they will continue to support it no one knows).

-Wolf sends
m
l
!