• Homebuilt
  • Intel i7
  • Gigabyte
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:22:15 PM

Hi All

It happens that my hardware supplier is running a fire sale so I need some input and advise as I am still looking to upgrade.

Here the options available on bundle;

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R + I7 950
Gigabyte G1 Guerrilla + I7 960

both options are well bellow the standard price 50% off normal.

If I don't go for LGA1366 setup and go with what I have planned for the most part, I was going to grab a Gigabyte P67A UD4 + GSkill Snipers 1.25v + 2500K, all are within my affordability obviously so budget is not a concern.

If I were to go for LGA1366 would the tri-channel corsair vengeance kits at 1600 be supported?

Looking for helpful infomation, pretty open to suggestions, obviously there are perks and there are drawbacks.

USAGE: Gaming, Browsing, Theatre/multimedia and work usage.

PRICE: I am not going to put in any kind of budget or values as I live in South Africa and the pricing doesn't match the local pricing in the US or anywhere, suffice to say it is a fire sale and all thes options were all within or around my desired budget.

More about : tomshardware opinion bundles

a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:32:22 PM

I am currently runnung a 1366 board with Corsair Doninator 1600 mhz so I would say it is supported. However the setup with the 2500k sounds like the better option and it is the newer technology and will out perform the other two options by a wide margin.
m
l
September 13, 2011 3:33:06 PM

Just buy the cheapest of the both and there won't be a problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:39:37 PM

IMHO, Fire sale products are fine for secondary or family systems, but if you're building/replacing a primary system, then you really want to stay with the latest components. This way, you're less locked into older components, which have a tendency to rise in price the older *AND* rarer they become. As an example, look at the cost of AGP graphic cards compared to their PCI-E cousins or DDR2 memory versus DDR3 memory.

Additionally, look at the PCI-E slots. Are they PCI-E 1.x or PCI-E 2.x? I can all but guarantee that there are no USB 3.0 or SATA6 ports on either of those fire sale boards.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:51:37 PM

That was the issue, while the 1366 has some draw with a powerful CPU, it is rather end of line.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 8:44:11 PM

I just want to clarify the position that accordingly there is no benefit in going with LGA1366 over1155?

If that is the position I will go with my original SB setup, and forgo the cheapness of the i7 9XX build.
m
l