Sign in with
Your question

CPU compatibility please help

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2011 2:54:45 AM

I want to know if I can upgrade my cpu to a Phenom II 980 black edition on a m4a785-m motherboard. This motherboard is am2+. The 970 is on the support list at asus but the 980 is not. I have phoned asus support and they can not tell me why it is not showing as being supported. If anyone could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it as the new chip is on its way.

Thanks

More about : cpu compatibility

a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2011 3:44:56 AM

980 is AM3! Sorry won't work
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2011 4:10:36 AM

amuffin said:
980 is AM3! Sorry won't work

*Sigh* This has been discussed to death. AM3 chips do work on AM2+ boards. If you check my sig, you will see I have an AM3 chip running on an AM2, not even AM2+ board.

@OP, chances are it will work. I installed an Athlon 645 with the 640 being listed as the highest compatible chip. Asus probably haven't updated their compatibility list. If the chips are of the same stepping and the only difference is a bump in clock speed, you should have no worries.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2011 4:12:52 AM

d14m0nd874d3 said:
I want to know if I can upgrade my cpu to a Phenom II 980 black edition on a m4a785-m motherboard. This motherboard is am2+. The 970 is on the support list at asus but the 980 is not. I have phoned asus support and they can not tell me why it is not showing as being supported. If anyone could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it as the new chip is on its way.

Thanks

The X4 970 is also an AM3 chip. So if the mobo can take a 970, the only reason it wouldn't take a 980 is if it isn't supported by the motherboard through a bIOS update, or if the 980 has a higher TDP than the motherboard can handle. If the manufacturer says it should be on the list, I think your safe. Both are black edition CPUs though, so the 970 can be clocked to 980 levels and beyond.

Most folks don't recommend buying anything higher than the X4 955 because of the unlocked mulitplier and relatively similar performance. I've seen the 955 for as low as $110, although these CPUs may be in short supply since AMD has stopped producing them.
m
l
December 14, 2011 9:01:26 PM

Thanks for your answers. I to am pretty sure it will work. I was just a little worried it wasn't on the support list. Guess there is only one way to know for sure. Try it out and hope for the best.

Thanks again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2011 5:14:28 AM

Cool, let us know.
m
l
!