Nintendo to upgrade graphics on retro games for revo downl..

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7949

"Some classic games downloaded to Revolution may receive a makeover.

In an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly, Nintendo President
Satoru Iwata revealed an interesting potential facet of the Revolution's
library of downloadable classics. Apparently, Nintendo is researching
the possibility of having some of their games receive a fresh new
graphical makeover for their Revolution incarnations.

As Iwata put it: "We are doing several experiments, including working
with the original Super Mario Bros., with the new technology...The game
itself and the gameplay shall be identical, but the look will be
different; it's possible that with Revolution, we may be able to see the
old games with new looks."

That's all well and good for the NES and SNES' libraries, but a question
that arises is just how far Nintendo would be willing to take such an
endeavour. Also, would they extend makeover efforts to 3D N64 games?
According to the article, Nintendo as of yet has no concrete plans to
remodel such 3D classics as Mario 64 and its brethren, although Nintendo
offered that those downloaded 3D games could potentially "look sharper"
running on the Revolution.

Again, just like with practically most aspects of the Revolution, this
feature is yet under discussion within the hallowed halls of Nintendo
headquarters. Whether or not we can ultimately look forward to lovely
new graphics in some of our favorite Nintendo classics of yesteryear is
still up in the air, but rest assured Cube-Europe will be there to
report on any finalized Revolution details."

Wow! How tasty would Ocarina of Time be with a graphical update???

Vin

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003

we already saw mario bros with updated graphics, it was called
super mario all stars.. they should offer all the unaltered
originals for free, and then hire some people to update some
of the old snes and n64 classics.. really take it seriously and
make them as pretty as possible and charge for those. like super
mario world, a link to the past, super metroid, mario 64,
ocarina/majora.. maybe even add a bunch of secret areas or levels
to give people another reason to play through the games.

>http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7949
>

>"Some classic games downloaded to Revolution may receive a
makeover.

>In an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly, Nintendo President
>Satoru Iwata revealed an interesting potential facet of the
Revolution's
>library of downloadable classics. Apparently, Nintendo is
researching
>the possibility of having some of their games receive a fresh new
>graphical makeover for their Revolution incarnations.
>
>As Iwata put it: "We are doing several experiments, including
working
>with the original Super Mario Bros., with the new technology...The
game
>itself and the gameplay shall be identical, but the look will be
>different; it's possible that with Revolution, we may be able to
see the
>old games with new looks."
>
>That's all well and good for the NES and SNES' libraries, but a
question
>that arises is just how far Nintendo would be willing to take such
an
>endeavour. Also, would they extend makeover efforts to 3D N64
games?
>According to the article, Nintendo as of yet has no concrete plans
>remodel such 3D classics as Mario 64 and its brethren, although
Nintendo
>offered that those downloaded 3D games could potentially "look
sharper"
>running on the Revolution.
>
>Again, just like with practically most aspects of the Revolution,
this
>feature is yet under discussion within the hallowed halls of
Nintendo
>headquarters. Whether or not we can ultimately look forward to
lovely
>new graphics in some of our favorite Nintendo classics of
yesteryear is
>still up in the air, but rest assured Cube-Europe will be there to
>report on any finalized Revolution details."
>
>Wow! How tasty would Ocarina of Time be with a graphical update???

Jim

> The NES and SNES emulators on the PC already do a nice job of improving
> the graphics, so it shouldn't be too difficult for Nintendo to do the
> same. It could be optional, just like it is with the emulators.

Well, I think they are taking about redoing the graphics, as opposed to
making them appear "sharper". I would love to see the original Super Mario
Bros with a super graphics update, Mario All Stars blew me away with it's
update, imagine what they could do now? :)

G..