Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 1:39:26 AM

Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR

Tokyo Japan. Sigma Corporation of Japan today announced a new 30
megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor. The new
model has been dubbed the SD-30.

The SD-30 features a unique universal lens mount that enables lenses
from any major manufacturer, without the need for adapters. Canon,
Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax lenses can all be used on the new
body. Sigma spokesperson, G. Predimoto, stated: "the new mount is in
response to the criticism that our earlier digital SLRs could only use
the lenses with the Sigma SA mount."

The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers, each with 3
mega-photodetectors per layer. Silicon color separation is used to
separate colors into black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
violet, gray, and white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor results
in much better color accuracy than their old X3, three layer sensor.
The Foveon sensor measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm sensor.
Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat, stated: "now that we've redefined a
pixel to be a photo-detector, it's allowed ups to create much
higher-resolution sensors."

The camera is very feature rich:

-Universal lens mount
-ISO 25-6400 with no noticeable noise
-Concealed, pop-out, vertical grip
-Titanium body
-Communications: IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 800, USB 3.0, 802.11G, RS-232,
20mA Current Loop, ST506, IEEE 1284
-5" touch-sensitive LCD (2 megapixel) with image preview, and
integrated web browser
-Adjustable viewfinder magnification, from 0.6x to 1.6x
-Integrated anti-shake using optical image stabilization
-Integrated, automatic, pop-up/pop-down flash
-Hydrogen fuel cell instead of conventional lithium-ion battery
-16 frame per second frame rate, with 132 image buffer
-Universal memory card system, allows the use of Compact Flash,
Smart-Media, Secure Digital, XD, and Memory Stick, all simultaneously
-Universal flash interface allows the use of Canon Speedlite, Nikon
Speedlight, -Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus flash attachments
-Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror-Lock Down
-Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Shoot Priority
-Self Timer, 1 second to 1 hour
-Movie mode allows 30 frame per second, MPEG4 encoded, video, with
stereo sound (built in stereo microphone)
-Watertight to 100 meters, no waterproof enclosure needed
-Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, automatically senses dust and cleans itself
-Universal Remote Control: Infrared, RF, Mechanical Cable, Electronic
Cable
-GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone (headset required)
-Integrated PDA, using Palm OS 6.0
-Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash slot
-Weight is 500 grams

MSRP is US$800. Actual price set by dealer. Available on April 31, 2005.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:45:48 AM

What? No cup holder?!?

sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com wrote:
> Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR
>
> Tokyo Japan. Sigma Corporation of Japan today announced a new 30
> megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor. The new
> model has been dubbed the SD-30.
>
> The SD-30 features a unique universal lens mount that enables lenses
> from any major manufacturer, without the need for adapters. Canon,
> Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax lenses can all be used on the new
> body. Sigma spokesperson, G. Predimoto, stated: "the new mount is in
> response to the criticism that our earlier digital SLRs could only use
> the lenses with the Sigma SA mount."
>
> The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers, each with 3
> mega-photodetectors per layer. Silicon color separation is used to
> separate colors into black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
> violet, gray, and white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor results
> in much better color accuracy than their old X3, three layer sensor.
> The Foveon sensor measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm sensor.
> Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat, stated: "now that we've redefined a
> pixel to be a photo-detector, it's allowed ups to create much
> higher-resolution sensors."
>
> The camera is very feature rich:
>
> -Universal lens mount
> -ISO 25-6400 with no noticeable noise
> -Concealed, pop-out, vertical grip
> -Titanium body
> -Communications: IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 800, USB 3.0, 802.11G, RS-232,
> 20mA Current Loop, ST506, IEEE 1284
> -5" touch-sensitive LCD (2 megapixel) with image preview, and
> integrated web browser
> -Adjustable viewfinder magnification, from 0.6x to 1.6x
> -Integrated anti-shake using optical image stabilization
> -Integrated, automatic, pop-up/pop-down flash
> -Hydrogen fuel cell instead of conventional lithium-ion battery
> -16 frame per second frame rate, with 132 image buffer
> -Universal memory card system, allows the use of Compact Flash,
> Smart-Media, Secure Digital, XD, and Memory Stick, all simultaneously
> -Universal flash interface allows the use of Canon Speedlite, Nikon
> Speedlight, -Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus flash attachments
> -Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror-Lock Down
> -Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Shoot Priority
> -Self Timer, 1 second to 1 hour
> -Movie mode allows 30 frame per second, MPEG4 encoded, video, with
> stereo sound (built in stereo microphone)
> -Watertight to 100 meters, no waterproof enclosure needed
> -Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, automatically senses dust and cleans
> itself
> -Universal Remote Control: Infrared, RF, Mechanical Cable, Electronic
> Cable
> -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone (headset required)
> -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS 6.0
> -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash slot
> -Weight is 500 grams
>
> MSRP is US$800. Actual price set by dealer. Available on April 31,
> 2005.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:19:42 AM

And desktop software will track focal points through the 10 planes of
sensors to produce three dimensional images.

In article <1112333966.696382.309660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com wrote:

> Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR
>
> Tokyo Japan. Sigma Corporation of Japan today announced a new 30
> megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor. The new
> model has been dubbed the SD-30.
>
> The SD-30 features a unique universal lens mount that enables lenses
> from any major manufacturer, without the need for adapters. Canon,
> Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax lenses can all be used on the new
> body. Sigma spokesperson, G. Predimoto, stated: "the new mount is in
> response to the criticism that our earlier digital SLRs could only use
> the lenses with the Sigma SA mount."
>
> The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers, each with 3
> mega-photodetectors per layer. Silicon color separation is used to
> separate colors into black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
> violet, gray, and white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor results
> in much better color accuracy than their old X3, three layer sensor.
> The Foveon sensor measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm sensor.
> Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat, stated: "now that we've redefined a
> pixel to be a photo-detector, it's allowed ups to create much
> higher-resolution sensors."
>
> The camera is very feature rich:
>
> -Universal lens mount
> -ISO 25-6400 with no noticeable noise
> -Concealed, pop-out, vertical grip
> -Titanium body
> -Communications: IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 800, USB 3.0, 802.11G, RS-232,
> 20mA Current Loop, ST506, IEEE 1284
> -5" touch-sensitive LCD (2 megapixel) with image preview, and
> integrated web browser
> -Adjustable viewfinder magnification, from 0.6x to 1.6x
> -Integrated anti-shake using optical image stabilization
> -Integrated, automatic, pop-up/pop-down flash
> -Hydrogen fuel cell instead of conventional lithium-ion battery
> -16 frame per second frame rate, with 132 image buffer
> -Universal memory card system, allows the use of Compact Flash,
> Smart-Media, Secure Digital, XD, and Memory Stick, all simultaneously
> -Universal flash interface allows the use of Canon Speedlite, Nikon
> Speedlight, -Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus flash attachments
> -Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror-Lock Down
> -Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Shoot Priority
> -Self Timer, 1 second to 1 hour
> -Movie mode allows 30 frame per second, MPEG4 encoded, video, with
> stereo sound (built in stereo microphone)
> -Watertight to 100 meters, no waterproof enclosure needed
> -Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, automatically senses dust and cleans itself
> -Universal Remote Control: Infrared, RF, Mechanical Cable, Electronic
> Cable
> -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone (headset required)
> -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS 6.0
> -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash slot
> -Weight is 500 grams
>
> MSRP is US$800. Actual price set by dealer. Available on April 31, 2005.
April 1, 2005 10:00:53 AM

It's not even 4/1/05 here on the west coast!
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:52:18 AM

"...
30 megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor
...."

So ... that essentially means the same old 3 megapixel sensor, but now
*ten* layers! That's obviously a new "high" ... in a field we once called
"SPECMANSHIP!"

<sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR
>
> Tokyo Japan. Sigma Corporation of Japan today announced a new 30
> megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor. The new
> model has been dubbed the SD-30.
>
> The SD-30 features a unique universal lens mount that enables lenses
> from any major manufacturer, without the need for adapters. Canon,
> Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax lenses can all be used on the new
> body. Sigma spokesperson, G. Predimoto, stated: "the new mount is in
> response to the criticism that our earlier digital SLRs could only use
> the lenses with the Sigma SA mount."
>
> The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers, each with 3
> mega-photodetectors per layer. Silicon color separation is used to
> separate colors into black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
> violet, gray, and white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor results
> in much better color accuracy than their old X3, three layer sensor.
> The Foveon sensor measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm sensor.
> Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat, stated: "now that we've redefined a
> pixel to be a photo-detector, it's allowed ups to create much
> higher-resolution sensors."
>
> The camera is very feature rich:
>
> -Universal lens mount
> -ISO 25-6400 with no noticeable noise
> -Concealed, pop-out, vertical grip
> -Titanium body
> -Communications: IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 800, USB 3.0, 802.11G, RS-232,
> 20mA Current Loop, ST506, IEEE 1284
> -5" touch-sensitive LCD (2 megapixel) with image preview, and
> integrated web browser
> -Adjustable viewfinder magnification, from 0.6x to 1.6x
> -Integrated anti-shake using optical image stabilization
> -Integrated, automatic, pop-up/pop-down flash
> -Hydrogen fuel cell instead of conventional lithium-ion battery
> -16 frame per second frame rate, with 132 image buffer
> -Universal memory card system, allows the use of Compact Flash,
> Smart-Media, Secure Digital, XD, and Memory Stick, all simultaneously
> -Universal flash interface allows the use of Canon Speedlite, Nikon
> Speedlight, -Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus flash attachments
> -Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror-Lock Down
> -Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Shoot Priority
> -Self Timer, 1 second to 1 hour
> -Movie mode allows 30 frame per second, MPEG4 encoded, video, with
> stereo sound (built in stereo microphone)
> -Watertight to 100 meters, no waterproof enclosure needed
> -Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, automatically senses dust and cleans itself
> -Universal Remote Control: Infrared, RF, Mechanical Cable, Electronic
> Cable
> -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone (headset required)
> -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS 6.0
> -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash slot
> -Weight is 500 grams
>
> MSRP is US$800. Actual price set by dealer. Available on April 31, 2005.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:26:34 PM

I thought they were going to add the menu feature of camera
self destruct--for security and covert operations.

Did you just fail to mention it?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:45:32 PM

sigmaphotojapan> The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers,
sigmaphotojapan> each with 3 mega-photodetectors per
sigmaphotojapan> layer. Silicon color separation is used to
sigmaphotojapan> separate colors into black, brown, red, orange,
sigmaphotojapan> yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, and
sigmaphotojapan> white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor
sigmaphotojapan> results in much better color accuracy than their

I hope the accuracy of the black sensor is sufficient to meet
professional standards.

sigmaphotojapan> old X3, three layer sensor. The Foveon sensor
sigmaphotojapan> measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm
sigmaphotojapan> sensor. Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat,

What a hopeless camera! I expected a full 100% 35mm sensor.

sigmaphotojapan> -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone
sigmaphotojapan> (headset required) -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS

I would hope so! What is the point of a camera without a built-in
phone, PDA and web browser? Useless. You wouldn't be able to do
anything with it except take photos.

sigmaphotojapan> 6.0 -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash

What? GPS optional? It should be built-in! It shouldn't require using
the compact flash slot.

sigmaphotojapan> slot -Weight is 500 grams

I would also expect a clock that automatically synchronizes itself;
this should be easy via Internet access (required by web browser).

<grin>.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
!