What Game PORTs could give DS the definitive edge?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP could
not do, and which ports might give them the edge.

Here are a few I could think of.

Civilization
Touch Screen and Wireless play would
make this a must have title and could sell
many units.

Warcraft
Again, touch screen and strong established
fanbase.

and

Command and Conquer

These were just off the top of my head.
It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through on the
DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.
8 answers Last reply
More about what game ports give definitive edge
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP could
    >not do, and which ports might give them the edge.
    >
    > Here are a few I could think of.
    >
    > Civilization
    > Touch Screen and Wireless play would
    > make this a must have title and could sell
    > many units.
    >
    > Warcraft
    > Again, touch screen and strong established
    > fanbase.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Command and Conquer
    >
    > These were just off the top of my head.
    > It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through on
    > the DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.

    The strategy games being announced for the DS should make it a very
    interesting year.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP could
    >not do, and which ports might give them the edge.
    >
    > Here are a few I could think of.
    >
    > Civilization
    > Touch Screen and Wireless play would
    > make this a must have title and could sell
    > many units.
    >
    > Warcraft
    > Again, touch screen and strong established
    > fanbase.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Command and Conquer
    >
    > These were just off the top of my head.
    > It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through on
    > the DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.

    IMO Nintendo should publish a bunch of these games and push the DS into a
    new market for handhelds. Preferably before Sony releases their new PSP
    with touch screen technology, which I guarantee is something they are
    looking at, if not actively pursuing.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:43:11 GMT, "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com>
    wrote:

    >IMO Nintendo should publish a bunch of these games and push the DS into a
    >new market for handhelds. Preferably before Sony releases their new PSP
    >with touch screen technology, which I guarantee is something they are
    >looking at, if not actively pursuing.

    If Sony does then I might buy it, it is a great idea! When I bought
    my DS at first I considered bringing it back and getting a PSP.
    Mario 64 (my first game) is to me not something that really shows off
    tthe system, but after a weekend of playing some of the orig games for
    it I fell in love and looking at the PSP games, I am so glad I kept
    the DS. It's great and has so much more potential. I only hope the
    rumors about a PDA addon cart are true, if I could use this to check
    email and instant messenging, not to mention as a internet
    speakerphone!! That would make this one of the coolest devices
    ever... but that would just be a bonus.

    I just hope they release some good first person shooters for this
    platform. So far we have the mediocre Rogue Agent, and Metroid
    Hunters demo does not really impress that much. It seems with the
    touch screen this handheld could do a great FPS, so when will one come
    out????!!??
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:
    > I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP could
    > not do, and which ports might give them the edge.
    >
    > Here are a few I could think of.
    >
    > Civilization
    > Touch Screen and Wireless play would
    > make this a must have title and could sell
    > many units.
    >
    > Warcraft
    > Again, touch screen and strong established
    > fanbase.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Command and Conquer
    >
    > These were just off the top of my head.
    > It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through on the
    > DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.

    I just can't wait till games like Mario Kart DS and Splinter Cell DS
    come out. Not to mention online gameplay ^_^
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    El Guapo wrote:
    > "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP
    >> could not do, and which ports might give them the edge.
    >>
    >> Here are a few I could think of.
    >>
    >> Civilization
    >> Touch Screen and Wireless play would
    >> make this a must have title and could sell
    >> many units.
    >>
    >> Warcraft
    >> Again, touch screen and strong established
    >> fanbase.
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> Command and Conquer
    >>
    >> These were just off the top of my head.
    >> It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through
    >> on the DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.
    >

    > IMO Nintendo should publish a bunch of these games and push the DS into
    > a new market for handhelds. Preferably before Sony releases their new
    > PSP with touch screen technology, which I guarantee is something they
    > are looking at, if not actively pursuing.

    I wonder if Sony are persuing touch screen? My theory is that it
    wouldn't be that useful to play anything except "mouse based" style
    strategy titles and adventures etc. which doesn't seem to be Sony's
    thing. A lot of investment for not much reward, having a second screen
    would probably be out of the question due to patents and the extra cost.

    Also Sony has reportedly cut it's PSP production to 12 million this year
    whilst alternately nintendo plans to make 20 million available.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "greenyammo" <greenyammo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > El Guapo wrote:
    >> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I was thinking about what kind of games the DS could do that the PSP
    >>> could not do, and which ports might give them the edge.
    >>>
    >>> Here are a few I could think of.
    >>>
    >>> Civilization
    >>> Touch Screen and Wireless play would
    >>> make this a must have title and could sell
    >>> many units.
    >>>
    >>> Warcraft
    >>> Again, touch screen and strong established
    >>> fanbase.
    >>>
    >>> and
    >>>
    >>> Command and Conquer
    >>>
    >>> These were just off the top of my head.
    >>> It's very interesting to see the unique games already coming through on
    >>> the DS as well, like Kirby, Pac Pix, etc.
    >>

    >> IMO Nintendo should publish a bunch of these games and push the DS into a
    >> new market for handhelds. Preferably before Sony releases their new PSP
    >> with touch screen technology, which I guarantee is something they are
    >> looking at, if not actively pursuing.
    >>
    > I wonder if Sony are persuing touch screen? My theory is that it wouldn't
    > be that useful to play anything except "mouse based" style strategy titles
    > and adventures etc. which doesn't seem to be Sony's thing. A lot of
    > investment for not much reward, having a second screen would probably be
    > out of the question due to patents and the extra cost.

    Who said anything about a second screen? All they would have to do is
    replace the current screen with a similar touch screen. Considering that
    Sony makes lots of PDA's with touch screen technology, I doubt that this
    would be a major hurdle for them.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    El Guapo wrote:
    > "greenyammo" <greenyammo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> El Guapo wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message

    >>> IMO Nintendo should publish a bunch of these games and push the DS
    >>> into a new market for handhelds. Preferably before Sony releases
    >>> their new PSP with touch screen technology, which I guarantee is
    >>> something they are looking at, if not actively pursuing.
    >>>
    >> I wonder if Sony are persuing touch screen? My theory is that it
    >> wouldn't be that useful to play anything except "mouse based" style
    >> strategy titles and adventures etc. which doesn't seem to be Sony's
    >> thing. A lot of investment for not much reward, having a second screen
    >> would probably be out of the question due to patents and the extra cost.
    >

    > Who said anything about a second screen? All they would have to do is
    > replace the current screen with a similar touch screen. Considering
    > that Sony makes lots of PDA's with touch screen technology, I doubt that
    > this would be a major hurdle for them.

    I'm just not sure if "drawing" and strategy titles are really Sony's
    bag. Remember Sony as a business lose money on their consoles, extra
    features only add to that loss. That gorgeous PSP screen is the main
    draw for that console and I doubt they think it needs anything else.
    Maybe the next generation PSP though, If it makes it that far. Fingers
    crossed.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    > El Guapo wrote:
    >> "greenyammo" <greenyammo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> I wonder if Sony are persuing touch screen? My theory is that it
    >>> wouldn't be that useful to play anything except "mouse based" style
    >>> strategy titles and adventures etc. which doesn't seem to be Sony's
    >>> thing. A lot of investment for not much reward, having a second screen
    >>> would probably be out of the question due to patents and the extra cost.
    >>

    >> Who said anything about a second screen? All they would have to do is
    >> replace the current screen with a similar touch screen. Considering that
    >> Sony makes lots of PDA's with touch screen technology, I doubt that this
    >> would be a major hurdle for them.
    >>
    > I'm just not sure if "drawing" and strategy titles are really Sony's bag.
    > Remember Sony as a business lose money on their consoles, extra features
    > only add to that loss. That gorgeous PSP screen is the main draw for that
    > console and I doubt they think it needs anything else. Maybe the next
    > generation PSP though, If it makes it that far. Fingers crossed.

    Sony's "bag" is selling more consoles than anybody else, and I doubt they
    exempt hand held consoles from that goal. If the DS continues to outperform
    the PSP, you can be pretty sure that Sony will be working very hard to find
    out why, and what they can do about it. Right now they probably assume it's
    price, and it might well be, but if they can add comparable features they'll
    do that too.

    Yes, they take a loss on the hardware, but so what? Sony does not nickel
    and dime over hardware features, and how much would it cost to add touch
    screen, anyway? I'm not saying that they will do it any time soon, but it
    will probably happen eventually. In the meantime, Nintendo could build a
    commanding mind share in these types of games. Nintendo is always saying
    that they want to grow the market; well, here is an untapped segment of the
    gaming community when it comes to hand held consoles. I don't know for sure
    that it would work, but it's at least as likely to work as trying to turn
    non-gamers into gamers.

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games Product