New build or upgrade?

Unlimited11

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a few weeks

Budget Range: $400 - $700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Casual gaming, internet. Looking at playing games like the Witcher 2, Crysis 2, and Diablo 3 (if it ever comes out). Medium quality as smooth as possible preferred.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Like Newegg, but anything goes for pricing

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel and Nvidia

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Additional Comments:

Looking into either upgrading my current setup, or building a new one. I'd prefer upgrading, but feel there is not much of a future for my current build now. Any advice would greatly be appreciated

Current setup:

OS - XP 32 bit
Mobo - Asus P5k
PSU - Antec Trio 650 watt
CPU - Intel E 8400 Core 2 Duo (3.00 GHz)
GPU - Nvidia 8800GT 512
Ram - 2 gigs DDR2
HD - WD Caviar SE16 7200 RPM
+ Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium
Chassis - Cooler Master 690

Zenthar

Distinguished
You are probably due for a new build as there is no real worthwhile upgrades for LGA775 motherboards (the LGA775 quad-cores are overpriced); I had a very similar built and I switched it completely a few months ago.

However, this doesn't mean nothing can be done, an E8400 isn't a crappy CPU by any mean (OC could also prolong it's life). IMO, the only worthwhile upgrade for gaming would be a new GPU 100-150$ GPU, something along the line of a 5770 maybe.

redeemer

Distinguished
Definitely build a new system

MSI P67A-G43 - $124.99
CORSAIR XMS 4GB - $25.99
i5 2500k- $199.99
CORSAIR Builder Series 500 watt psu -$59.99
EVGA GTX 460 - $159.99
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel Computer Case -$59.99

tooold

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You should consider buying a new vga card (for example gtx560ti) and if the performance is not acceptable to your needs then consider mb,cpu,ram upgrade

cheers,

"Casual gaming, internet. Looking at playing games like the Witcher 2, Crysis 2, and Diablo 3 (if it ever comes out)"

lol casual gaming with those games? hehe, those are more than just casual games ;)

But yea, i agree with the other guys...your computer is at a technological dead end, and upgrading it would not be worth it as much as getting a brand new system.

Unlimited11

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
So assuming I had $1000 to build a new system with after selling off my old parts, what's a good future proof setup to go with from scratch. I'm guessing I can at least keep my box and sound card.

Redeemer has a very nice build for you. Even though we are close to Ivy bridge, this comp will last you at least 4 solid years, with the option of upgrading to a better processor in the future.

Although the only thing i would change in his build would be the graphics card...maybe a 570GTX or some card in that range.

AFAIK I don't think any mobo's support Ivy bridge -yet- as it requires a new socket. I think it's socket 2011. But the Core i5 he has listed is a very good processor, and even though ivy bridge is around the corner - in the future you should be able to upgrade to a Core i7 if you so wish, which would give a healthy boost. Or you could even OC that Core i5 if you do plan on getting it, which would also help as well (you may need a better CPU cooler)

As for HDD set up, well it depends. If you get a large HDD - say 2 or 3TB HDD, that will give you relatively fast performance.