Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RAM Disappearing

Last response: in Memory
Share
September 24, 2012 3:28:18 PM

Hello!

Recently my RAM has been disappearing. I have 12GB of RAM, but when I log in, my control panel shows that I have only 4GB or sometimes 8GB of RAM installed. I recently had to change my ASUS Matrix GTX 580 to MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr III. I have a 750W Corsair PSU, could this be the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

More about : ram disappearing

September 25, 2012 5:01:15 AM

try re installing the ram modules
sometimes thats the prob and run some memory tests
a b } Memory
September 25, 2012 7:19:37 PM

Download and install CPU-Z. Launch the app and click on the Memory tab. What do you see?

Also, how is your RAM capacity distributed (2x6GB, 2x4GB + 1x4GB, etc.)?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 26, 2012 11:45:04 AM

T_T said:
Download and install CPU-Z. Launch the app and click on the Memory tab. What do you see?

Also, how is your RAM capacity distributed (2x6GB, 2x4GB + 1x4GB, etc.)?


Hello!

Everything is blank in CPU-Z Memory section, expect size, it says 8181 bytes. My ram is 6x2GB
September 26, 2012 3:53:32 PM

T_T said:
Download and install CPU-Z. Launch the app and click on the Memory tab. What do you see?

Also, how is your RAM capacity distributed (2x6GB, 2x4GB + 1x4GB, etc.)?


Now it shows the normal 12288 MBytes in CPU-Z and 4GB in Windows System Manager.
a b } Memory
September 26, 2012 5:57:13 PM

I suspect that there are two problems:

1. Your DRAM settings in your BIOS are on Auto and;
2. Because of 1, your DIMM voltage is fluctuating, causing instability

Go into you BIOS and manually configure your RAM to their specified values shown on the sticker affixed to the side of the RAM module. If you don't know how to do this, post a link to your mobo and RAM, or provide the make and model numbers, then I can help you further.
September 27, 2012 12:01:14 AM

T_T said:
I suspect that there are two problems:

1. Your DRAM settings in your BIOS are on Auto and;
2. Because of 1, your DIMM voltage is fluctuating, causing instability

Go into you BIOS and manually configure your RAM to their specified values shown on the sticker affixed to the side of the RAM module. If you don't know how to do this, post a link to your mobo and RAM, or provide the make and model numbers, then I can help you further.


I have Corsair Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 and Asus Rampage III formula. How do i change these RAM settings in BIOS?
a b } Memory
September 27, 2012 5:53:18 PM

When you turn on your system, you should see an ASUS logo. On this screen you'll see something like 'Press F2 to enter setup'. If you don't, the typical keys to press are F2 or Del.

Once you get into your BIOS, go to the Extreme Tweaker menu. In this menu, you'll find Ai Overclock Tuner [Auto]. Change this to manual. You'll also see DRAM Frequency [Auto]. Change this to manual.

If you scroll down, you see where you'll configure your RAM to the following specs:

DRAM Frequency: 1600 MHz
DRAM Timing Control: 9-9-9-24 2T (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) 2T is the Command Rate
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.601 is default, you should consider increasing this to 1.65

On a side note, your RAM is not on the ASUS Qualified Vendor List (QVL), but that's not to say that your RAM is not supported, just that the model you have wasn't tested to work or was tested and was unstable.
June 15, 2013 5:57:30 PM

T_T said:
When you turn on your system, you should see an ASUS logo. On this screen you'll see something like 'Press F2 to enter setup'. If you don't, the typical keys to press are F2 or Del.

Once you get into your BIOS, go to the Extreme Tweaker menu. In this menu, you'll find Ai Overclock Tuner [Auto]. Change this to manual. You'll also see DRAM Frequency [Auto]. Change this to manual.

If you scroll down, you see where you'll configure your RAM to the following specs:

DRAM Frequency: 1600 MHz
DRAM Timing Control: 9-9-9-24 2T (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) 2T is the Command Rate
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.601 is default, you should consider increasing this to 1.65

On a side note, your RAM is not on the ASUS Qualified Vendor List (QVL), but that's not to say that your RAM is not supported, just that the model you have wasn't tested to work or was tested and was unstable.


Hello,
I'm sorry for reviving this age old thread, but I've been extremely busy and not honestly motivated with my computer. I tried to change these settings and it still keeps saying 4GB in Windows, but 12gb in CPU-Z. I think that maybe I should just get an new motherboard?
June 15, 2013 6:59:39 PM

What does it say in BIOS?
June 15, 2013 7:12:11 PM

Astralv said:
What does it say in BIOS?


Where can I see the RAM amount in BIOS? I'm sorry for such beginner question, but I haven't been eager to learn about these for some time.

a c 2181 } Memory
June 15, 2013 7:27:06 PM

I'd try running each stick individually under Memtest (maybe about 4 passes), if any test bad that may be the problem, if not sounds like something is starting to fail - but suggest memtest first to eith nail down a stick as bad or eliminate the DRAM as the problem
June 15, 2013 7:30:10 PM

If you tap F2 when computer starts, you enter BIOS and it should be under advanced mode on main page.
June 16, 2013 11:36:23 AM

Astralv said:
If you tap F2 when computer starts, you enter BIOS and it should be under advanced mode on main page.


I checked and nothing came up there, odd.
a c 133 } Memory
June 16, 2013 11:58:41 AM

Go into your Resource Monitor and click Memory tab , what does the memory graph say?
June 16, 2013 12:47:19 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Go into your Resource Monitor and click Memory tab , what does the memory graph say?


4069 Mt
June 16, 2013 1:34:16 PM

There are several places to find memory in BIOS. Look under tools as well. Have to try to install one stick at a time?
June 16, 2013 1:38:25 PM

Astralv said:
There are several places to find memory in BIOS. Look under tools as well. Have to try to install one stick at a time?


That's one thing I haven't done yet, but I guess I have to do it. My CPU fan blocks some of them and is literally an pain in the ass to install.
June 16, 2013 2:33:53 PM

I tried to install one by one and it's no use. CPU-Z recognizes them, in their slots, but Windows and other programs still keep saying 4GB.
June 16, 2013 3:25:08 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading anyways. Would MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) + Kingston 16 GB, 2133 MHz DDR3 sound bad.

Specs:
GTX 580
750w PSU
i7 950
a c 2181 } Memory
June 16, 2013 5:48:16 PM

For an X79 mobo would need a new CPU, that's socket 2011, while the 950 is socket 1366/X58 chipset
June 16, 2013 6:35:28 PM

Tradesman1 said:
For an X79 mobo would need a new CPU, that's socket 2011, while the 950 is socket 1366/X58 chipset


Oh damn it. I thought that 2011 is just a never version, but fits also 1366 socket CPU's. 1366 is discontinued so I have to also get an new CPU :??: 
a c 2181 } Memory
June 16, 2013 6:37:56 PM

Ain't it a wonderful world? (sarcasm) It can get very confusing, trust me ;)  wanted to jump in before someone told you to go for it, many 'experts' I've seen here would have.
June 16, 2013 6:42:03 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Ain't it a wonderful world? (sarcasm) It can get very confusing, trust me ;)  wanted to jump in before someone told you to go for it, many 'experts' I've seen here would have.


Thank you for the help! Guess I have to use even more money now on the project... :fou: 
!