Can I use my Siemens S46 Sim in another GSM phone ?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 10, 2005 7:33:02 PM

Hi Knowledgeable people,

I know my S46 is a bit of a weird phone (with the tdma support), but would I
be able to use the sim from it in another gsm only phone (V180 for
example)? I'm a former at&t wireless customer so I assume I would need a
at&t gsm phone, or an unlocked phone.

I do understand that I would lose tdma obviously.

If I can use an unlocked phone with this sim, would I gain access to
Cingular frequencies without roaming ? I'm trying to avoid signing a new
contract as I have a 39.99 plan for 600 min with free nights and weekends. I
figure any Cingular plan is a downgrade.

Thanks !!

-Ken
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:41:59 PM

"Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Knowledgeable people,
>
> I know my S46 is a bit of a weird phone (with the tdma support), but would
> be able to use the sim from it in another gsm only phone (V180 for
> example)? I'm a former at&t wireless customer so I assume I would need a
> at&t gsm phone, or an unlocked phone.
>
> I do understand that I would lose tdma obviously.
>
> If I can use an unlocked phone with this sim, would I gain access to
> Cingular frequencies without roaming ? I'm trying to avoid signing a new
> contract as I have a 39.99 plan for 600 min with free nights and weekends.
> figure any Cingular plan is a downgrade.
>
> Thanks !!
>
> -Ken

Should be no problem, when you are out of GSM converage you can switch back
to your old phone or any other GAIT phone just a call to CS if you change
GAIT phones changes ask for a esn swap and be ready with the new esn. I know
the S46 isn't true GAIT (no amps) but this should be ok.
!