Startup order

Hello,
I have a few small batch files I want to run at a
startup. My problem is that I need one to be run before
the other. Of course the one that I need to run first
does not. Is they a way to force (using windows startup)
one task to run before another?

Thanks in advance
Kathy
2 answers Last reply
More about startup order

    WININIT.INI is used during upgrades/patches/fixes/etc to have things done
    before Windows starts. I'm guessing but I would think you could put your
    batch files in it so they would run.

    You could also check out Windows Scripting to see if that would work to
    replace the batch files.

    "Kathy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have a few small batch files I want to run at a
    > startup. My problem is that I need one to be run before
    > the other. Of course the one that I need to run first
    > does not. Is they a way to force (using windows startup)
    > one task to run before another?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Kathy

    Yes.

    Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
    and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
    shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

    For example; dfg.bat, and fgh.bat would start in that order. To change the
    order rename to aghj.bat and bdfg.bat. They would then start in that order.

    Execution Order for starting programs

    With Windows XP Home, There are 13 places that programs can start from and
    they are executed in the following order:

    Before Logon
    1)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    After Logon
    3)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
    8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

    [[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
    However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
    other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
    still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
    what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
    predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
    you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
    boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

    [[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
    some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
    overlap each other.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes