Sign in with
Your question

Changing the battery didn't work

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2012 5:54:40 PM

Ok so I posted a while back about the clock in the Bios resetting itself at random times. People told me to just change the battery. I did. That didn't work. I have tried to do a web-search to solve this problem but typing in the word ASRock and clock just gets too many hits.

I have an updated Bios. I just can't figure this out.

More about : changing battery work

a c 229 V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 6:26:14 PM

Do you lose the clock if you disconnect the PSU from the wall outlet overnight? Do you lose other settings (which would happen if the battery is dead)? There may be a problem with your motherboard, but it isn't a known ASRock problem.
m
l
September 24, 2012 6:36:38 PM

No I was gone for the weeknd and when I started the computer up I noticed the time problem was back.

NOTE: only the time has changed NOT the date or anything else.
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 7:45:16 PM

Then you're not losing the clock; it just isn't accurate. How many minutes did it lose over the weekend and was the computer disconnected or only powered off? Does it lose time overnight? Did you contact ASRock about that issue?
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:46:49 PM

GhislainG said:
Then you're not losing the clock; it just isn't accurate. How many minutes did it lose over the weekend and was the computer disconnected or only powered off? Does it lose time overnight? Did you contact ASRock about that issue?

It does the same thing everytime it happens. It resets itself to two hours before my time or Pacific coast time.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 9:58:54 PM

It always resets to 2 hours before Pacific time? It does that before or after loading the OS?
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:22:46 AM

I have no idea.

It happens at random...
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 11:38:20 AM

If it always loses exactly 2 hours, then it can't be the battery. It most likely is caused by software that executes when you access a specific Internet site or when you run a local application. If you can't figure out what it is, you could sync your PC with an atomic clock.

http://www.forensic4cast.com/2011/01/detecting-cmos-clo...
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:54:52 PM

GhislainG said:
If it always loses exactly 2 hours, then it can't be the battery. It most likely is caused by software that executes when you access a specific Internet site or when you run a local application. If you can't figure out what it is, you could sync your PC with an atomic clock.

http://www.forensic4cast.com/2011/01/detecting-cmos-clo...

That was a cool article to read but I still don't understand how anything can change my settings in my bios.

Yes, I want to sync my clock with an atomic one that seems very cool.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 6:29:07 PM

Whenever you change the time through an application, it gets changed in the BIOS. If you set the time in Windows to 2 hours ahead and then power off the system, next time you power on you'll see that the clock still is 2 hours ahead.
m
l
!