Cases with best cooling ?

sup3000639

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hi,

I am thinking about making a custom build but I don't know which case is suitable for me. Noise isn't very important, I am going to OC so cooling is important but I am on a budget so what is the best reasonably priced case nowadays. The shop I'm going to buy from has Aerocool, Akasa, Aopen, Asus, CM Storm, Cooler Master, Dark, In Win, Raidmax, SilverStone, Thermaltake and TX cases. The exterior isn't very important for me. I am thinking about a custom build with a i5, CPU cooler, Mid-high end gpu, 1 tb hdd, 8 gb ram and the usual stuff. Maybe a gpu cooler as well. I want to get a case that will be ready for upgrades and is reliable. Any suggestions (if you could also send me a nice link of a review of the case that would be great) are welcome.

Thanks in advance

robhanson01

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
The best cases I've seen for cooling are the LanBoy Air cases and the Antec 1200 but they are on the expensive side.

Brand isn't really a huge concern but the aspects you should look for (for cooling at least) in a case are:
-Amount of case fans, obviously the more the merrier.
-The size on the case, if it's small and compact all the heat will build up inside so you want one as big as possible.
-The location of case fans, you want an exhaust fan at the top of the case as heat rises and the PSU is often a large contributer to heat. An intake fan is ofthe desireable on the bottom as graphics cards are also liable to overheatingand a flow of fresh air over them can help.
-The size of case fans, if you have bigger fans they will move more air with less rotations meaning the motor will be quieter and will normally last longer.
-Air filters are also desireable as they stop dust build up which can distort the flow of air and cause overheating
-You want one that allows for easy water cooling as well if you're going to overclock

However, once you assemble your PC placement is often overlooked. You want to keep it out of the sun, away from radiators. You want to have lots of open space around it to allow the air circulate better.

I hope this helps

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It must be a cold day in hell, never thought I'd ever recommend one but the NXZT Phantom at 124.99 represents the best value in cases today. You can read over the Bit-tech review in which it's performing right up there with the best cases in the business.

That being said...it's kind of like the Hyundai of pc cases. Yeah maybe they've made strides as of late, but their reputation still scares me. Personally I'd spend the extra 25-30 bucks and go with a HAF-X or a Darkfleet.