Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Memory POST error with brand-new RAM (ASUS P8P67LE)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 24, 2012 9:28:19 PM

Hello,

I just shipped my ~2 year old machine cross-country, and on receiving it, found it wouldn't boot. After reseating the RAM, I began to get memory POST errors (one long beep, 3 short). This happened no matter what I did with the RAM--putting sticks in new slots, running with 1 stick (did this with all 4 sticks) with no change. So I replaced the RAM with a new 4x2GB setup straight from the QVL, so I know it's compatible, same beeps.

So, it looks like there's a problem with the board itself. Any help?

Specs:
ASUS P8P67 LE board
-Intel® Core™ i5-2300 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
-EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
-CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 (this is the new RAM).

Things I have tried:
--Reseating the RAM (see above)
--Reseating the GPU and CPU
--Using the CMOS reset jumper to reset my BIOS
--Using the MemOK feature on the board
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 11:12:29 PM

Try removing the battery for about 30 minutes to see if you can clear the CMOS that way.
September 25, 2012 2:55:11 AM

knightdog56 said:
Try removing the battery for about 30 minutes to see if you can clear the CMOS that way.


OK, just removed the battery. Now to wait...
Related resources
September 25, 2012 3:18:33 AM

i had the p8p67 pro and it had some ram issues as well. you might need to rma your board. but before that be sure to try to reset the tpu and also see if you can boot with just one dimm, to double check that it is the board and not your ram. your ram might just of crapped out on you during the shipping process.
September 25, 2012 3:20:52 AM

ryecola said:
i had the p8p67 pro and it had some ram issues as well. you might need to rma your board. but before that be sure to try to reset the tpu and also see if you can boot with just one dimm, to double check that it is the board and not your ram. your ram might just of crapped out on you during the shipping process.


I've tried just using 1/2 DIMMs, tried this with both my old and new RAM. Nothin'. I suspect it's the board, but I also really hope not, since this is a 2-year-old prebuilt machine and I'll have to shell out for a brand new board.
September 25, 2012 3:27:38 AM

stupid question but did you check the preferred dimm slot? i remember it made all the difference when i couldn't get my board to boot. i think it liked 2 dimms a1/b1 or b1 with a single dimm.
September 25, 2012 3:28:49 AM

ryecola said:
stupid question but did you check the preferred dimm slot? i remember it made all the difference when i couldn't get my board to boot. i think it liked 2 dimms a1/b1 or b1 with a single dimm.


I have 4 sticks, all slots are occupied. I've also tried the configuration you suggest.
September 25, 2012 3:36:07 AM

UPDATE: Just stuck the CMOS battery back in, so the BIOS is definitely back to factory settings. No luck. Booted, DRAM LED turned on for ~2 seconds then turned off. A few seconds after that, BEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Memory POST error.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2012 3:09:38 AM

Recheck video card , remove and reinstall, make sure all connectors have good contact and are in the locked position.
!