5670 or 5770?

Hello,
i hav a computer with e7500 c2d running at 2.93ghz, 2gb ram and intergrated graphics. I would like to add a graphics card to this. I have two choices, either the 5670 or 5770. I will be gaming at 1360x768 or 720p, at med-high settings. The card should be a bit future-proof as i am not looking for upgrade for the next few years.
(Let my know if I need a ram upgrade too)

I may try playing games after 2005-2008 on max though (except Crysis ofc)
23 answers Last reply
More about 5670 5770
  1. At that resolution, the CPU will play a big role in getting fps. But if you want to ask witch is more powerful then the 5770 is the one.
  2. At $100 the 5770 is a phenomenal card and will probably push highest settings in your games at that resolution. Your 2gb of RAM might be holding your system back the most, as 2.93ghz dual core is pretty decent. You might see the CPU bottleneck certain games, but even then you should get good FPS out of it.

    The 5670 will probably do medium settings but really, the jump to a 5770 performance wise is huge but money wise it's pretty small.
  3. get a 6850, or if you really dont have the money get a 5770. 5770 is not very future proof IMO, unless you like playing with low detail settings and play crysis 2 without dx11.
  4. He has 720p resolution, how is a 5770 not enough? At that resolution i can play crysis 1 and warhead almost to max(except AA 8x). But for DX11..this card was not made for DX11. He needs something more powerful for that, as posted above.

    PS: assassins creed brotherhood i can play at 1080p maxed out. And a hole bunch of other games, yea i know it's not metro 2033..ha ha.
  5. Eh a 6850 would be a good match if he was at a higher resolution, but look at the system... an older C2D and only 2gb RAM. I think a 5770 is a good fit. Plus he said medium settings, and at his resolution, even a 5770 will max out most games.
  6. Oh, and I kind of overlooked one thing... power supply. OP, if you're upgrading the graphics card you need to also look into upgrading the PSU.
  7. iam2thecrowe said:
    get a 6850, or if you really dont have the money get a 5770. 5770 is not very future proof IMO, unless you like playing with low detail settings and play crysis 2 without dx11.


    The 6850 is way outta my budget. However I'll see if I can find one on sale or sth.
  8. ionut19 said:
    He has 720p resolution, how is a 5770 not enough? At that resolution i can play crysis 1 and warhead almost to max(except AA 8x). But for DX11..this card was not made for DX11. He needs something more powerful for that, as posted above.

    PS: assassins creed brotherhood i can play at 1080p maxed out. And a hole bunch of other games, yea i know it's not metro 2033..ha ha.


    Haha. Probably won't play on DX11. What about DX10? Is the difference much noticeable from DX9?
  9. wolfram23 said:
    Oh, and I kind of overlooked one thing... power supply. OP, if you're upgrading the graphics card you need to also look into upgrading the PSU.


    Uhm I got this: COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

    Adequate for 5770?
  10. Yeah that should be ok.
  11. Anything about the ram upgrade? It's ddr2 2gig running at 667mhz :|
  12. Either try to get 2x1gb more identical modules to what you have, or buy a new 2x2gb kit. 667mhz is fine, or go for 800mhz. With 800 you'll probably need to make a quick change in your BIOS after the install to get them to run at their proper speed.
  13. TBH,you are not exploiting that card fully.To get the best out of any gpu I always say a 6GB DDR31600 mhz RAM is needed along with a good cpu otherewise it would bottleneck.
  14. yay for the 5770!
  15. celpas said:
    TBH,you are not exploiting that card fully.To get the best out of any gpu I always say a 6GB DDR31600 mhz RAM is needed along with a good cpu otherewise it would bottleneck.


    :sarcastic:
  16. wolfram23 said:
    :sarcastic:

    +1- You Don't need a super PC to run a 5770. Oh Noes my Ram is only 1333....... i must be crazy bottlenecking my 570.....
  17. celpas said:
    TBH,you are not exploiting that card fully.To get the best out of any gpu I always say a 6GB DDR31600 mhz RAM is needed along with a good cpu otherewise it would bottleneck.

    I am not much of a computer guy, but all I know for sure is that's it very absurd D:
  18. Ohk, ignore my previous post saying it's running at 667mhz. I am not sure of it myself. Can anyone tell me what it is running at? Two images added for reference.


  19. It's 800mhz RAM. The DDR means Double Data Rate. So the data rate of 400 is doubled = 800 :)
  20. Alright, got the answer to all I wanted to know. 5770 for the gpu, and maybe a 4gb memory upgrade in the future. Thanks for your input, everyones been helpful!
    :D
  21. have fun and I will give another vote for the 5770 even at 720p your going to want at least a 5770 imo, the ram upgrade will serve you well, happy gaming
  22. Go for the 5770.
  23. After you buy the card tell us if you are satisfied with your choice.

    Also the post with 1600Mhz ram was funny.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon RAM Graphics Product