Tags:
  • New Build
  • GPUs
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2011 12:06:35 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to build my first gaming PC. Everything's gone good so far except when I tried installing the discrete GPU.

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Case: Antec 300
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68A-UD3H-B3

Here's what happens: The GPU aligns fairly well with the PCIe-x16 slot and the end opposite the back panel even goes into the slot. But the back-panel-end refuses to fall into place because the metal tab at the bottom of the panel is not fitting into the metal gap at the bottom of where the PCI slot cover used to be. I removed adjacent slot covers too to make sure nothing was interfering. But it's almost like the metal tab at the bottom of the panel of the 560 Ti is too thick to fit into the gap in the chassis.

How do you fix something like this? How do I figure out whether this is a problem with the GPU or the case? (or my incompetence?)

Thanks.

More about : gtx 560 fitting antec 300 case

September 14, 2011 12:57:57 AM

Will the tab at the bottom of the plate fit through the pci slot, so it is on the outside of the case?
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:07:48 AM

I was initially unsure whether the tab had to come out of the case - but examining it closely suggested it is supposed to. And no, this is precisely what is not happening - the tab is blocked such that it cannot come out of the case.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:14:52 AM

I have no idea which part I should send back - the case or the GPU! Help!
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:31:43 AM

Neither, file either the plate or the case hole to allow it through, I'd say the case preferably
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:57:01 AM

Had a thought, you did install the standoffs that the mobo sits on didn't you?
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:00:13 AM

also might help to visually compare the video cards slot cover to the one you removed from the case. you can also try putting the old slot cover back in the case and wiggling it around a bit to slightly pry the sheet metal apart.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:04:56 AM

First build genghis, he never took one out, I find it strange that the backplate wont fit but all I can think is the standoffs are missing, or there was an issue making the case, I.e. cutouts being the right size, can't imagine the card manf screwing up
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:20:22 AM

Can you post a pic of the problem?

m
l
September 14, 2011 3:41:32 AM

What OP is saying is, on the motherboard tray where the slots are, notice the cut outs.
The bottom tip of the card will not fit into the cut outs on the case. One way to fix, just bend the tip a bit.

m
l
September 14, 2011 3:47:16 AM

lp231 said:
What OP is saying is, on the motherboard tray where the slots are, notice the cut outs.
The bottom tip of the card will not fit into the cut outs on the case. One way to fix, just bend the tip a bit.

]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6305/problempx.th.jpg

That is my perception of the problem too. But, it is most unusual to have standard parts that mismatch like that. A pic of where the parts miss might lead us to the guilty component or a solution.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:51:39 AM

I had a similer problem with a card and it wasn't the MB or the case it was the card and I ended up bending the tip of the slot bracket.
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:00:26 AM

geofelt said:
That is my perception of the problem too. But, it is most unusual to have standard parts that mismatch like that. A pic of where the parts miss might lead us to the guilty component or a solution.

There are no mismatch, it's probably OP's very first build so they're not familiar or are afraid to break something?
OP can do is bend the tip of the graphic card a bit and it will fit.

I'm sure most of us during our builds have encounter this problem including me and the poster (Inzone) above.
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:28:51 AM

Oh motopsychojdn, you made me think for a moment that I didn't install standoffs. I panicked, took the whole thing apart only to find out that I did install them.

What lp231 describes with that picture is entirely accurate (no picture I attach could clarify things beyond that).

So I have two options now -
1) Bend the tip on the GPU backpanel - this scares me much, esp. since it's a tip with $250 worth of equipment attached on the other end

2) Somehow remove the metal of the slot so that it doesn't get in the way - I'm not sure how I can do this

In any case, either the GPU or the case has not been built to standard. When my PCI Wifi card arrives, I should be able to tell which it is.
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:32:19 AM

This *is* my first build and having to bend metal on a GPU is not something I expected to encounter.

By the way, the metal tab at the end is already bent (by the manufacturer) at a very shy angle - just to confirm - I should bend it slightly more (with what? a plier?) away from the card... right?
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:37:27 AM

are you 100% sure the motherboard is mounted correctly on the standoffs?

It does not just screw in to the case
The standoffs have to go in first , and they have to be in the right locations
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:47:36 AM

Outlander_04 said:
are you 100% sure the motherboard is mounted correctly on the standoffs?

It does not just screw in to the case
The standoffs have to go in first , and they have to be in the right locations

If by mounted correctly you mean:

1) Golden standoffs screwed into holes in the chassis
2) Motherboard placed over the standoffs so that the screwholes in the mobo coincide with the standoffs
3) Screws screwed into motherboard screwholes all the way into the standoffs

.. then, yes, I'm 100% sure the motherboard is mounted correctly.
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:57:09 AM

It may be there is an error in the pressing of the case , but I technique can help .

When you install the card slip the two metal tags into place FIRST and then gently rotate the card in to the electrical socket

If anything does need modifying I would mod the case , and stay well away from the graphics card
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:03:14 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It may be there is an error in the pressing of the case , but I technique can help .

When you install the card slip the two metal tags into place FIRST and then gently rotate the card in to the electrical socket

That's what I tried first but the fact that the motherboard is raised by the standoffs makes this futile.

If anything does need modifying I would mod the case , and stay well away from the graphics card said:
If anything does need modifying I would mod the case , and stay well away from the graphics card

This is what I'm thinking I should do now. I would have to file off a piece of metal from the case.

Again, waiting for that wireless PCI card to know whether I should be writing an angry review for Antec or for EVGA.
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:04:48 AM

The tip of the bracket should be straight don't bend it any more straighten it.It might be bent too far forward. Alternatly you can take the tip of a screwdriver and put it in the metal part of the case where the bracket tip goes and make the slot slightly bigger.
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:22:43 AM

inzone said:
The tip of the bracket should be straight don't bend it any more straighten it.It might be bent too far forward.

Are you sure about that? If I straighten it, the tip of the bracket is going to be further inside the case. At the moment, the tip is just resting on the inner edge of the slot. Which means if I bend it outward (hypothetically speaking), away from the card, it would stop resting on the inner edge and fall into place in the gap that's just outside the chassis.

inzone said:

Alternatly you can take the tip of a screwdriver and put it in the metal part of the case where the bracket tip goes and make the slot slightly bigger.

Trying this at the moment after removing the mobo again.
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:45:31 AM

Ok - managed to make it big enough so that it has at least slipped into the slot. But it still hasn't gone all the way in - at least not enough for it to fit into the PCI slot and definitely not enough to be able to put a screw in the bracket hole. Increasingly starting to think this is something terribly wrong with the build of the case.
m
l
September 14, 2011 6:38:21 AM

Gah - it seems impossible to do this without removing the metal tab. I've decided to file and remove the obstructing tab. Being such a noob, I'm going to have to order a file set (http://www.amazon.com/PIECE-MEDIUM-SIZE-DIAMOND-FILES/d...). Does anyone think this is a bad idea / not the best solution?

Thanks for all the help so far btw.

So close to an awesome gaming machine. Just one metal tab away :( 
m
l
September 14, 2011 7:09:00 AM

I'd file the case, definately not the gfx card but hey,
welcome to the world of Modding Bro :) 
Still at a loss as to how/why this is even necessary to be honest, manufacturing variances aren't usually problematic to the point of non-function,
and you'd be surprised how many folks forget/dont know about standoffs, I had to check mate
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 7:52:21 AM

Just a simple input.. you are making sure to fit the gpu into 2 of the slots on the case right? i believe your gpu has 2 prongs? it will take up 2 slots on the back side of the case
m
l
September 14, 2011 8:29:35 AM

cgleckman said:
Just a simple input.. you are making sure to fit the gpu into 2 of the slots on the case right? i believe your gpu has 2 prongs? it will take up 2 slots on the back side of the case

Yes, I freed up both adjacent slot covers just in case, but yeah, it takes up 2 slots. (And still doesn't go in)
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:59:56 PM

It is not clear to me if the problem is with the graphics card or the case.

If you are uncomfortable with adjusting one or the other, then seek to replace the incorrect part.

In the Case of Antec, they are very good at customer support, and will replace any part that is faulty.

Don't know about the graphics card. Can you borrow another card, of any type and see if it fits properly?
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:06:41 PM

Sharp blade or flat tip screwdriver, into the offending slots on the case, wiggle to make hole larger/longer until card tabs will fit into holes, :p 
failing that I'm getting on a plane and fetching my angle grinder over there
Moto
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:49:00 PM

1, are you sure the case is 100% straight, I have not worked with these cases , but have built systems for 20yrs now, and have encountered this kind of problem before.
2, occasionally a cases framing gets a lil warped or skewed , thus making the MB not align 100% with back slots, maybe during shipping it got knocked or crushed and put the alignment off just enough to make the Vid card catch..you can check with a standard bubble leveler ..should be even and smooth
3, was this pre-cut on the expansion slots ? some cases you have to remove metal (usually by wiggling till breaks off, like bending a paperclip over and over) this will sometime leave an errant piece of metal on the frame that can catch on the tab ;
4, as others have said the MB holders, (the lil golden screw ins ) BUT they also have to be put in the in the right place on the MB backplane, Often Cases will have Multiple sets of these for MBs with different form factors , so may you may empty holes left over on the MB backplane and this is fine.
5, Sometimes a card maker , use a bracket that the tabs are not quite long enough to actually extend through the lil slot on the case , and this is ok too
6, as others have said , its fine to take like a flathead screwdriver, fit into slit on the case and and wiggle it a bit, to widen the slot, OR bend a bracket tab a little bit on the Vid Card, just be careful bending the Vid Card , though the tab bracket will usually bend fairly easily.

although with those moderm parts , I (like other) find it very strange that they dont line up nicely ..is there is enough room (as this is a double decker vid card right ?) is there enough room , between the tabs on the vid card bracket ? that Both tabs are going thru both slits , without the bracket V part hitting the the little piece of metal between the 2 tab slits ? ok sorry that was poorly worded , but I am starting to think maybe the tab is hitting the the little part of metal between the tab slots on the case ..

hope this helps
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:53:49 PM

Why not have your friend come over and help you out?
m
l

Best solution

September 14, 2011 5:59:22 PM

If you mean me, I dont know the Op, I'm just threatening to cross the atlantic, break into his house and perform unseemly acts on his pc :p 
Moto
September 14, 2011 6:11:34 PM

If the end cover bracket on the graphics card is not right, you have a couple of options.

1) EVGA sells for $10 a high flow bracket that improves airflow on gtx5XX cards.

2) The bracket can be removed; just remove the screws holding it on. Then, you can safely file, bend, or do whatever to the bracket without worrying about damaging the card in the process. Screw it back on when you know it fits.
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:54:38 AM

I FIXED IT! YAY!

I followed motopsychojdn's suggestion and filed the metal tab out. I had to do this for 3 slots - 2 for the GPU and 1 for the Wireless PCI card that just arrived. It took me an hour to grind through and remove the tabs, but it was totally worth it.

My 560 Ti is now humming away inside :D 

I can confirm that the problem has always been with the Antec case. I removed the motherboard and tried fitting in both the GPU and the Wireless PCI - neither would fit in. I hope I never have to add another PCI card to this build.

I'm surprised by the poor quality of the Antec 300 case. There's one last problem with my build - I only get one channel of audio from the front panel. This may have something to do with the connector on the motherboard, but I also feel that the way the jack on the front panel is built makes it seem like the audio connector never fully goes in - which if is the case might explain the missing channel and would suggest that Antec has seriously messed up the product they sent me. Not cool.

m
l
September 16, 2011 1:54:51 AM

Best answer selected by msyriac.
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:56:25 AM

Damn, I meant to select motopsychojdn's second post as the Best Answer - not the one in which he threatened to break into my house. :/ 
m
l
September 16, 2011 3:28:49 AM

Hey no probs man, I kinda like that its that one lol,
Glad to help, and enjoy your new build :-)
Moto
m
l
!