Sign in with
Your question

How can I reset my ATI graphics card's overclock settings before the computer st

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2011 8:38:22 PM

Hello,

I just tried overclocking my ATI 4850 through Catalyst Control Center, and I went a little too high which caused the screen to get a bunch of weird artifacts on all over and then my computer freezes. This happens even on the desktop, not just in game.

So now when I restart my computer it does the same thing(gets artifacts and freezes) before I can get to CCC and change the OC back to normal.

Is there a way I can fix this without reformatting Windows? I booted into safe mode and tried changing the settings in CCC, but when I try to run it I get an error saying the GPU drivers aren't installed. Windows doesn't let me uninstall programs when in safe mode so I can't uninstall CCC. I heard you are able to disable the OC through MSI Afterburner, so I installed that while in safe mode but it won't boot and I'm guessing it's because I'm in safe mode because it gives me some weird driver error.
July 13, 2011 9:13:21 PM

krej said:
Hello,

I just tried overclocking my ATI 4850 through Catalyst Control Center, and I went a little too high which caused the screen to get a bunch of weird artifacts on all over and then my computer freezes. This happens even on the desktop, not just in game.

So now when I restart my computer it does the same thing(gets artifacts and freezes) before I can get to CCC and change the OC back to normal.

Is there a way I can fix this without reformatting Windows? I booted into safe mode and tried changing the settings in CCC, but when I try to run it I get an error saying the GPU drivers aren't installed. Windows doesn't let me uninstall programs when in safe mode so I can't uninstall CCC. I heard you are able to disable the OC through MSI Afterburner, so I installed that while in safe mode but it won't boot and I'm guessing it's because I'm in safe mode because it gives me some weird driver error.

I have never used Catalyst Control Center, so take my reply with a grain of salt.

Either a) CCC flashes the graphic card bios, or in some other way changes a persistent storage on the card, such that the card itself will force itself to perform beyond what it is capable of, or b) CCC, when running, will force the card to perform beyond what it is capable.

If b), then all you need to do is ensure CCC does not run when Windows starts (Windows safe mode?). You could then try to remove any configuration for CCC (possibly by uninstalling it, and making sure to purge any registry entries CCC uses, or configuration files it uses), so you have a fresh CCC which remembers nothing about you wanting to overclock your card.

If a), you need to flash the bios. I have no idea how you do that (but others on these forums do).
m
l
July 13, 2011 9:33:44 PM

Thanks. I'm pretty sure CCC works by changing the clocks while it is running. I was able to end the CCC process before the OC kicked in, then uninstall it and reinstall it just fine and now my computer is good.

However, I just tried overclocking again but with a much smaller jump, I only changed the core clock speed to 630 from 625, and the same thing happened. I got different kinds of artifacts, but it still made my computer unusable requiring me to uninstall and reinstall CCC to wipe it's settings.

Is there a reason why I'm unable to OC my card at all? I had my fan cranked up a lot so the card was nice and cool when I increased the speed just now, but it still ended up killing my computer. Everything else on the GPU is all at stock speeds and whatnot.
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 10:06:35 PM

What card is it? It might just hate you.

But yeah, anyway, try using MSI Afterburner and make sure you do NOT select the option to load the OC at startup. Then just adjust clocks and test it out. Ideally you will also have voltage control, so if it's crashing with just 5mhz more you could try adding a little voltage. Otherwise, ignore core clock and see what you can push out of the memory clock.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 10:26:32 PM

Since you are having the problem at start up, the only way I know to fix this, which is fairly easy to resolve, is to boot to safe mode.

Once in safe mode, attempt to uninstall the CCC. It might not let you, in that case, go to the device manager, and uninstall the drivers for your video card. When you reboot, you can remove the CCC and reinstall the drivers.
m
l
July 13, 2011 10:37:31 PM

wolfram23 said:
What card is it? It might just hate you.

But yeah, anyway, try using MSI Afterburner and make sure you do NOT select the option to load the OC at startup. Then just adjust clocks and test it out. Ideally you will also have voltage control, so if it's crashing with just 5mhz more you could try adding a little voltage. Otherwise, ignore core clock and see what you can push out of the memory clock.

Thanks, I'll try OCing with MSI Afterburner. The card is an ATI 4850, and it might just hate me because I've had problems with it overheating and artifacting while playing games before.

Also is it ok to just drop the memory clock to as low as it can get right away? I haven't touched it yet, but I'm overclocking to help mine bitcoins and people say that the memory clock isn't really used so it's best to lower it to help lower heat and whatnot. So is it cool to just lower that all the way, or should I slowly decrease it little by little?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 10:50:05 PM

I don't know what mining bitcoins refers to in the least...

Technically you could probably lower the memory speed a couple hundred mhz no problem but I doubt that will really change anything. I guess you could test it to see if less mem clock does or does not affect this bitcoin thing, and *possibly* you can get more core mhz out of it with lower mem.
m
l
July 13, 2011 11:54:23 PM

Well no matter what I do, even with MSI Afterburner, my graphics card just freaks out and crashes, so I'm guessing it just hates me and I think I've given up on trying to overclock it. Thanks for your help though!

Also, as to what bitcoins are, I'm not going to get too in detail(partially because I don't know exactly how they work) but they are basically an alternate currency that is p2p and I believe based on mathematical formulas. You can use your graphics card to 'mine' them which I believe is helping solve the problems in order to earn the money/bitcoins. So what I'm trying to do is mine enough bitcoins in order to buy a new graphics card since my current one has been giving me so many problems.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 11:58:32 PM

I gave you a way to start over from scratch. Go to safe mode, uninstall the drivers, then you can reinstall them at stock settings without issue.

To go to safe mode, press F8 over and over after post and before windows starts loading.
m
l
April 1, 2014 1:25:13 PM

krej said:
Thanks. I'm pretty sure CCC works by changing the clocks while it is running. I was able to end the CCC process before the OC kicked in, then uninstall it and reinstall it just fine and now my computer is good.

However, I just tried overclocking again but with a much smaller jump, I only changed the core clock speed to 630 from 625, and the same thing happened. I got different kinds of artifacts, but it still made my computer unusable requiring me to uninstall and reinstall CCC to wipe it's settings.

Is there a reason why I'm unable to OC my card at all? I had my fan cranked up a lot so the card was nice and cool when I increased the speed just now, but it still ended up killing my computer. Everything else on the GPU is all at stock speeds and whatnot.

Iv got the same problem but cannot uninstall the CCC before the oc kicks in. How can I get my PC working? So annoyed
m
l
June 6, 2014 10:47:16 AM

I have the same problem and I ended up unintelligible catalyst by deleting it's driver files in safe mode. Yet when I boot up in normal mode and unintelligible it completely then re install the screen blacks out again as soon as the drivers get installed. All I had done was slide the over clocking slider a bit more and now I get a black screen when my drivers are loaded on startup. I run a r9 290. Is it possible it is loading up my old settings upon re installation and if so how do I delete it?
m
l
!