Closed Solved

Dummy question about i5 and video

I'm looking at this combination:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
Intel Core i5-2500K

I haven't built a computer in over 10 years and want to know: to enjoy the on-chip graphics from this CPU, what port on the back of the mobo do I use to connect to my monitor?

I'm suspecting the HDMI connection, but my monitor only has inputs for analog VGA that I'm currently using, and a DVI-D that is not being used.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dummy question video
  1. dont buy that motherboard then, buy a different Mobo that includes DVI as well, you can use any ports on the motherboard, some have all three even, such as this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

What are your uses for this system? will you be gaming? will you be overclocking? and is there a particular reason you chose a z68 board?

If you are building for daily use and not gaming you could save alot of money.
  2. amirp said:
    dont buy that motherboard then, buy a different Mobo that includes DVI as well, you can use any ports on the motherboard, some have all three even, such as this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

What are your uses for this system? will you be gaming? will you be overclocking? and is there a particular reason you chose a z68 board?

If you are building for daily use and not gaming you could save alot of money.

I chose this mobo because I do not intend to buy another for 8-10 years, and would like to future-proof a bit by having: more current connectors, support faster memory, support overclocking.

It looks like the board you recommended has the output I'd need, as well as plenty of connectors. Like all mobo, the reviews are all over the place.

My primary uses will be video editing, video transcoding, file serving, folding on off hours.
  3. Good, you should be set then that is a pretty good motherboard, however like most it is aimed at gamers but it will definitely have you covered, and it is fairly cheap.

In terms of features, it will do everything you need. Also, consider the i7-2600k, as it may benefit your specific uses, especially since you would like to hold on to the computer for a while.
  4. You can also buy an HDMI to DVI-D cable. They're not that expensive---the store I go to (PCH cables) is selling a 6.5 ft HDMI to DVI-D cable for $3.50.
  5. Best answer
    I would have suggested that as well, but I am pretty sure the motherboard I linked him is better on all levels, and is cheaper, and includes all three (dvi, vga, and hdmi)
  6. amirp said:
    I would have suggested that as well, but I am pretty sure the motherboard I linked him is better on all levels, and is cheaper, and includes all three (dvi, vga, and hdmi)

it doesn't have better performance :non:
    @op you might want to consider the asus p8z68-v
  7. Best answer selected by teddymines.
  8. Thanks all.

I am steering away from the i7 because of cost, but since the mobo supports it, the i7 may be something that can extend the years of service some time down the road. In 4-5 years, they might be very cheap as "old" technology.

The board suggested by amirp is perfect for what I need.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Connection Intel i5 Product