3930k 64gb ram compatable motherboard.

ryecola

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hey all, im currently rocking a 2600k overclocked to a stable 4.8 used 24/7. at any rate im really happy with my build but i hit a wall. i need more ram. i have a maximus extreme p67 rog motherboard with 16gb currently, but i need 64gbs. im going to shell out some cash for a 3930k, and i was wondering if there is some info out there about which motherboard support 64gb of ram and are pretty good overclockers.

thanks for msging.
-s

Most X79 motherboards are crap. The only ones worth getting are in the Asus P9X79 series and Asus Republic of Gamers series. The ones from ASRock and MSI aren't half bad if you're on a bit of a budget but avoid the Gigabyte and EVGA offerings like the plague.

All of the Asus P9X79 motherboards support 64GiB of SDRAM as do the Asus Sabertooth X79 and Rampage IV Extreme

The Rampage IV Formula and Rampage IV Gene support only 32 and the Sabertooth X79 is kinda silly

All of the motherboards offer tremendous overclocking potential but the Rampage boards will do it best. Please keep in mind that the 6 core Sandybridge processors are extremely power hungry. They have half again as many IA cores, twice as many memory lanes, two and a half times as many PCIe lanes (at a higher speed too) and far more cache. At 4Ghz they will pull more than 220 watts alone (package power), almost twice that of an equivalent 4 core processor. If you want to hit the same overclocks that you have with your 2600k you will need to have some very good cooling.

ryecola

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Thats excellent news. I enjoy my current ROG motherboard... and i would love to stick with the brand. is there any specific ram listing that are confirmed to be working pref, 1600mhz? i quickly glanced on the asus site and didnt see any supported 8gb dimms.

currently i have a custom watercooling setup with a 170 gallon chiling unit. so heat isnt a problem. and if it is... i could always open the back door. hopefully it wont effect my hydro bill too bad. im thinking going from 145 to 220 isnt that much of a jump.

My PC draws about 200 watts AC under non-gaming conditions. This is determined by the power meter on my UPS. Granted this includes a couple of other components attached to the UPS as well, including a very power hungry display.

The power efficiency of the Sandybridge-E processors is no worse than the Sandybridge processors. Under idle conditions they will idle at 1200Mhz rather than 1600Mhz which is what the quads idle at.

One thing that the RIVE has going for it that is not common on other X79 motherboards is that it will apply the top single-core turbo bin to all cores automatically. This turns the 3/3/4/5/6/6 turbo scheme into a 6/6/6/6/6/6 scheme without any changes on part of the user. You can of course simply pick a higher turbo multiplier without changing much else, if you want 8/8/8/8/8/8 it's just a single field in the EFI setup.

As for memory, I'm currently using two 16GiB sets of Mushkin Enhanced Redline DDR3-2133 (9-11-10-28) SDRAM. DDR3-2133 puts a massive load on the IMC and I wouldn't recommend something that fast in 64GiB, however there are 32GiB sets of Mushkin Blackline. Blackline is slower and conforms to the JEDEC standards, where as Redline is performance optimized and non-standard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226338

You should be able to put two of these in there easily enough.

One thing that is very important, and I'm going to put this in bold because it's easily overlooked:

When installing more than 4 UDIMMS it is very much recommended to attach the EZPLUG2 auxiliary power connector to ensure stable current delivery to the UDIMMs. Most X79 boards have at least one auxiliary power connector in addition to the standard 4 and 8 pin EPS12v connectors and 24 pin ATX connector. These additional auxiliary connectors usually come in the form of a 6 pin PCIe connector for additional PCIe slot power (only really needed for 3 or more power hungry PCIe cards) and either a 4 pin MOLEX connector or a 4 pin floppy connector. The 4 pin connector may also power a few other things too such as some of the onboard USB headers but I need to experiment with this some more in my spare time. Thus, there are a total of 5 power connections from the PSU to the motherboard alone!

ryecola

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

thanks for the heads up on that. i have a ax1200 but ill have to make sure that im going to plug in all the aux power for the mobo.

i actually have had a really bad expereince with black lines in my p8p67 pro. i don't feel comfortable purchasing a product that is cheaply made, and takes over a 2 months to rma. my last blackline ram dimm the heat sink slipped off while pulling it out of the motherboard. the sticky foam tore and it was a mess and a pain. never again. any other confirmed working dimms? i need 8x8gb :)

tyty

Strange, the one SSD from Mushkin that I had to RMA was replaced within a few days. If you live in North America it's extremely quick.

I believe any of the G.Skill sets will work.

The Corsair Vengeance and Dominator sets work fine too, but they're much more expensive.

ryecola

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
i have 16gb of g.skill atm, they work but they are kinda slow. even at 1600mhz they seem slower then other ram.

that dominator set might be pricey but its going to be between either that or gskill again. plus as you mentioned before, probably not a good idea to run max dimms at higher speeds.