Is it possible to set a static ip through DCHP

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
the thread title pretty much says it all :)

basically i have a belkin router that for some reason when port forwarding requires the ip adress of the computer instead of applying it to all of them. and it keeps switching my computers ip for no reason which means the ports ive forwarded have become useless. i was originally at 192.168.2.3 now im at 192.168.2.8

or a better solution would be is there a way to apply port forwarding globally on belkin routers?

i have the the Belkin F5D8633-4 show here http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D8633-4/Ventrilo.htm

Just setup the IP on the system manually, make it high enough so no other device will try to take it, like x.x.x.100

If you want to get fancier, edit the DHCP scope in the router to exclude the higher address range so it won't even try to use it.

You can't set a static IP using DHCP, you need to set it on the computer by hand.

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
thanks. sending the router back anyway had nothing but trouble with it. usefull information though if my next one has the same sort of settings