WinXP SP1 Home, Scheduled Tasks don't run since installing..

WinXP SP1 Home, Scheduled Tasks don't run since installing latest Security
Updates

I installed the latest WIN XP security updates: 841873, 839645, 840315,
842773 and 823353 [OE6_SP1] on 7/14 and tasks in the TaskScheduler haven't
been able to run since.

The error messages in the "SchedLog.txt" are:
1.)
"The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again."

OR
2.)
"Unable to start task.
The specific error is:
0x80070006: The handle is invalid.
Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application."

So far I have Uninstalled and verified TaskScheduler works without these
Critical Updates, then re-installed them and again lost the use of the
TaskScheduler.

I have gone through Knowledge Base Article - 308558 "How To Troubleshoot
Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP" without a possitive solution.

From Kelly's site I again ran "sthome.vbs" to allow tasks without passwords,
yet that didn't correct getting Error Message (1).

I Added a new Scheduled Task to see if only the old tasks were effected. The
new task got Error 2 the first time I tried it and then Error 1 since.

The real strange part is that if I manually try to run from the Right-click
menu, the first attempt will get Error 1, yet if I again right-click "Run"
within a few seconds of the failed attempt it will run from this second
attempt!

Looking for a solution that doesn't require uninstalling the Updates
permanently.

--
Remove nospam in email

--
Remove nospam in email
3 answers Last reply

    "Phydeaux" <Phydeaux_435@erg_nospam_msinet.net> wrote:

    >WinXP SP1 Home, Scheduled Tasks don't run since installing latest Security
    >Updates
    >
    >I installed the latest WIN XP security updates: 841873, 839645, 840315,
    >842773 and 823353 [OE6_SP1] on 7/14 and tasks in the TaskScheduler haven't
    >been able to run since.

    Same here. At first: the password was lost in all Task's properties
    here by installing the update 841873. Deinstalling the update got TS
    back working, but I had to re-type all passwords again. Seems to be a
    problem with this update.

    --
    (tm)

    Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    > "Phydeaux" <Phydeaux_435@erg_nospam_msinet.net> wrote:
    >
    >> WinXP SP1 Home, Scheduled Tasks don't run since installing latest
    >> Security Updates
    >>
    >> I installed the latest WIN XP security updates: 841873, 839645,
    >> 840315, 842773 and 823353 [OE6_SP1] on 7/14 and tasks in the
    >> TaskScheduler haven't been able to run since.
    >
    > Same here. At first: the password was lost in all Task's properties
    > here by installing the update 841873. Deinstalling the update got TS
    > back working, but I had to re-type all passwords again. Seems to be a
    > problem with this update.

    Thanks, I uninstalled only 841873 and "Okayed" all password boxes that
    popped up (Kelly's password scipt works again!) and Scheduled Tasks again
    run.

    --
    Remove nospam in email

    "Phydeaux" <Phydeaux_435@erg_nospam_msinet.net> wrote:

    >Thanks, I uninstalled only 841873 and "Okayed" all password boxes that
    >popped up (Kelly's password scipt works again!) and Scheduled Tasks again
    >run.

    You are welcome.

    --
    (tm)