Panasonic to manufacture dSLRs

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 8:00:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6821251/

Matsushita and Olympus are working together to produce an
interchangeable lens digital SLR that will comply with the FourThirds
standard in 2006, reports Reuters. The Japanese companies will work
jointly in developing products and key components, but will market
products under their own brands, which for Matsushita includes
Panasonic. A joint statement says that Olympus and Matsushita are
responding to what they see as a soaring global demand for digital
SLRs, with shipments expected to reach 4.5m units in the year to 2007,
from 2.7m in the current year to March 2005.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05040102matshushita_d...

Shouldn't be an April fool's joke unless MSNBC, Reuters and Phil, all
three are hand-in-glove ;)  But the date on Reuters shows as Jan 13th'
2005. Odd!!

- Siddhartha
April 1, 2005 11:10:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1112356853.207921.174190@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
losttoy@gmail.com says...
> Matsushita and Olympus are working together to produce an
> interchangeable lens digital SLR that will comply with the FourThirds
> standard in 2006, reports Reuters. The Japanese companies will work
> jointly in developing products and key components, but will market
> products under their own brands, which for Matsushita includes
> Panasonic. A joint statement says that Olympus and Matsushita are
> responding to what they see as a soaring global demand for digital
> SLRs, with shipments expected to reach 4.5m units in the year to 2007,
> from 2.7m in the current year to March 2005.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05040102matshushita_d...
>
> Shouldn't be an April fool's joke unless MSNBC, Reuters and Phil, all
> three are hand-in-glove ;)  But the date on Reuters shows as Jan 13th'
> 2005. Odd!!
>
> - Siddhartha

Odd indeed! Especially since they give a years lead time on updating a format
that is already way behind the rest.

It may be a real press release, but I still wouldn't pay much attention to
it, as Canon/Nikon/everybody else has at least 1 camera in the game that out
performs the 4/3 format in every aspect except keeping the sensor clean.

I dont believe it will fly, and I dont believe they will pur all that good
money into it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.