Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with Crosshair mobo...

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 25, 2012 11:45:44 AM

Hello to all,

I require your help on my new and first build. In the past week I have spent quite alot of money on trying to put together a Pc better than my current one. I am a novice to building Pcs and have been up for 24hours trying to complete this build. I have run into one major problem...The Pc does not boot and my CPU does not seem to be working because the stock heatsink fan is not spinning and nor are the chassis fans and i have a red light on the motherboard for the CPU which means there is a problem. I have googled through numerous forums with no resolution found to my problem. At this moment in time my PC build hardware and components list like this:

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 processor 3.4ghz quad core 8.0 mb cache
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU 8GB (4GB x2) DDR3 Memory Kit
PSU: OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply
Graphics Card: VTX Radeon HD 5450 (2gb ddr3) --- Not the best I know looking to upgrade
Hard drive: Crucial CT256M4SSD2BAA 256GB M4 SSD 2.5 inch
OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64mb
Also have a blue ray disc player which is not connected

The two fans powered by the psu work. The OC, lock, start, reset buttons light up. I have double checked all the connections. I followed all the manuals and re-read them. My monitor says it's not getting a signal and goes in to sleep mode. When I power on the pc it does not sound like it's doing anything and there are no bleeps. Is their a compatability issue between my mother board and cpu?

If you need more info then please let me know. I am at my wits end and would be gutted if i failed at my first attempt. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

More about : problem crosshair mobo

a c 125 V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 12:04:29 PM

Is your motherboard mounted correctly to the case using the stand-off screws?
September 25, 2012 12:21:46 PM

abekl said:
Is your motherboard mounted correctly to the case using the stand-off screws?


Yes. 9 stand-off screws in the correct holes according to the instructions of the desktop coolermaster case.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 12:38:40 PM

did you read this - and does it apply?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_IV_F...

that doesn't goto the exact processor page - you must choose your processor in the list

BIOS version 0505
If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance.
September 25, 2012 1:09:52 PM

i also suffering with this kind of problem *** *** asus mobo they have memok button try that if it not working then check all 4pin cpu
24 pin mobo atx cable
jumpers
boot system with one ram
did u get any beep sound in ur case
if this all not working then u need to rma the mobo which asspain method
September 25, 2012 1:26:51 PM

dingo07 said:
did you read this - and does it apply?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_IV_F...

that doesn't goto the exact processor page - you must choose your processor in the list

BIOS version 0505
If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance.


Ok I went to the link and when it came to choosing my processor just my luck mine is not there, mine is phenomx4 965, 3.4ghz quad core, 8.0mb cache, AM3 socket (HDZ965FBGIBOX)

Do I chose one of the other phenomx4 965 processors?

On my mother board the BIOS version is: Rev 1.02g so would that mean its 1002 version? if yes then that would mean it would be greater than 0505 and so I would need to flash...am I on the right path?

Thanks
September 25, 2012 2:20:08 PM

monu_08 said:
i also suffering with this kind of problem *** *** asus mobo they have memok button try that if it not working then check all 4pin cpu
24 pin mobo atx cable
jumpers
boot system with one ram
did u get any beep sound in ur case
if this all not working then u need to rma the mobo which asspain method



Ok monu-08 I did as you said... I pressed the memok button and then the DRAM led began to flash next to the CPU led which was constantly red.

I checked all cables and jumpers. Though when I removed the heatsink fan lead and connected it to another fan socket it started working. But still the cpu led is on and my monitor is going into sleep mode.

I tried booting the system with no ram then one ram but still no luck and no beeps of any kind, just the fans spinning.

Any other ideas???
September 25, 2012 6:10:41 PM

maxtrex said:
Ok monu-08 I did as you said... I pressed the memok button and then the DRAM led began to flash next to the CPU led which was constantly red.

I checked all cables and jumpers. Though when I removed the heatsink fan lead and connected it to another fan socket it started working. But still the cpu led is on and my monitor is going into sleep mode.

I tried booting the system with no ram then one ram but still no luck and no beeps of any kind, just the fans spinning.

Any other ideas???


just try to put the card in each slot and also clear cmos and jumpers also + check 8 pin power connector is properly seated also try put out the battery and boot up then see what happens
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 6:14:10 PM

Just as an aside, the standoffs are not screws, they are pieces for the screws to go into... just wanted to make sure you/we had that straight.
September 25, 2012 6:21:10 PM

u can also try too boot ur board by on antistatic cover came with it board try that just pull it out in chase and put it on antistatic cover plug all connection and try to boot up
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 6:22:52 PM

Actually, I believe I heard that the outside of an anti-static bag is conducive, it is better to do it on a cardboard box (like the MOBO box, or when I was assembling my PC I unfolded the case box and laid that on my kitchen table).
September 25, 2012 8:39:06 PM

"just try to put the card in each slot and also clear cmos and jumpers also + check 8 pin power connector is properly seated also try put out the battery and boot up then see what happens"

Thanks monu_08 but did that, I disconnected all connections and jumpers, took battery out is well. Layed everything out on wooden table on top of the crosshair box. I disconnected the Graphics card, cpu, heatsink fan and took out RAM. Left the mobo for 2 hours and then just put on the graphics card, battery, 1xram stick, and 8 pin connector and the bigger connector, keyboard and mouse. I booted up and still the same. Just getting the one red cpu error light, no beeps, no booting up. God this is stressful lol.

"Just as an aside, the standoffs are not screws, they are pieces for the screws to go into... just wanted to make sure you/we had that straight."

Yup Chugot9218 I know that. Everything lined up and I put the screws in with the standoffs underneath and I didn't do them too tight so the mobo did not get damaged. None of the pins on the cpu are bent either and i applied a little blob of arctic thermal paste.

I am at my wits end...maybe I should accept the fact that the mob might screwed, something I really can't afford right now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 9:03:53 PM

It will not post without RAM installed (I believe), I did see that the RAM you selected is not on the QVL for the MOBO, do you have any other RAM you can try?
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 9:11:28 PM

Also, exactly which light is showing on? Check section 2-3 of your MOBO and confirm it is in fact the CPU LED (which is labled as A).
!