Possible CPU and Motherboard conflict?

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I have a compatibility issue with my CPU and Motherboard, or if any of my PC components are conflicting in any way. My current computer specs are the following:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
RAM: 8GB DDR3/1600MHz
Motherboard: ASUS M4A77T/USB3
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
and a 950 Watt power supply

The reason I believe that there is something wrong with my setup is because I have experienced frame rate drops in both Rift and Star Wars: The Old Republic. I will be running fine with high FPS and every so often the FPS will drop from like 50-60 FPS to like 10-15 FPS. The frame rate drop will last like a minute or two and then raise back up to the 50-60 range. The problem is that the games become almost unplayable while the frame rate drops. I found someone else with this problem on another forum and he said it was a conflict between the motherboard and the CPU. I would love it for someone to look at my spec and tell me whether or not it is indeed and issue between my motherboard and CPU, or if they know what would be causing this issue. Also it would be great to know what type of motherboards would be a good replacement with my setup. Thank you, anyone, who can answer this problem.
14 answers Last reply
More about possible motherboard conflict
  1. have you done all your bios updates and have the latest drivers?

does the HDD light go crazy when the slow down occurs?
  2. CPU on the support list? Yes http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A77TUSB3/#CPUS No conflict there!
    My suspicion is that you are experiencing network lag!
  3. @ hugostiglitz

I am up to date on my graphics card drivers, but I am unsure where to get BIOS updates. Also, this is a noob question, but are there driver updates for the CPU and Motherboard?

@ rolli59

So there might not be any issue at all? Because I used to play WoW and never had these frame rate drops, but I play the other MMO's, RIFT & SWTOR, and it happens. But it might be the games I am playing not my setup?
  4. Network lag can be a busy server can be load on your connection it is hard to tell. This is all random?
  5. Might be the game loading new areas in the background and trying to empty/fill the ram/vram simultaneously. Some games, like fallout 3 and oblivion, had this issue on some systems.
  6. Yeah it is very random when it happens. The game will be running fine and then it will drop. Also I noticed too, I don't know if this matters, but the computers fans will be running quite loud like they normally do when I play graphics intense games and then when the FPS drop happens the computer fans will quite down. Obviously this is the fans working and then slowing down, but would the slowing down mean that it might be a problem with the computer? Or would it still just be a network lag issue causing my computer not to work as hard?
  7. Slowing down would mean that the load is dropping which again would be because the computer is waiting for information over the network. Any single player games that you play that behave the same?
  8. I haven't experienced any problems with any single player games with this computer, except for the first Crysis, which crashed a lot, but that could have just been the game itself. Other than Crysis crashing, I have not experienced any frame rate drops on single player games.
  9. That again points to your hardware working fine!
  10. It is just weird because it might have been a big coincidence, but the other guy I mentioned in my initial post said that he stopped having the frame rate drops after he swapped out his motherboard. Is there anything I can do to stop these issue from happening? Or is it just something I have to live with?
  11. He might have a total different hardware and issues with that, both games you mentioned are relatively new and popular, many people are playing them causing possible server delays.
  12. Alright, well thank you for all your help I guess I was just overreacting over something that has nothing to do with my computer. Would there be anything I can do to alleviate some of the stress like an network card or something, or is the problem on their end not mine?
  13. My guess would be their end, experienced it with WOW, EVE online and many other online games.
  14. Well, again. Thank you for all your help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards