Sign in with
Your question

What Memory is Compatible With Dell Optiplex GX620

Last response: in Memory
September 25, 2012 6:21:27 PM

Do I need to use system specific RAM memory for my Dell Optiplex GX620?

If the answer is yes, then my only options are to order from Crucial, Kingstom, or Dell at excessive prices.

Or..... could I use any desktop RAM sticks that meet the general requirements:
DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
240-pin
667 MHz ( PC2-5300 ) or 533 MHz (PC2-4200)
Non-ECC
Max 2GB per stick

So if I go and buy a non system specific RAM stick will my computer start to smoke with sparks flying, and start screaming that it cannot compute its memory, but it can compute, which means its lying, but it cannot lie, because lying is illogical, and then finally explode?

Or will it run just fine with or without its precious Dell RAM?
September 25, 2012 6:34:48 PM

It won't explode, it would probably beep for a while then turn off.

Most DDR2 PC-5300 non ECC RAM would work and the amount of RAM shouldn't exceed 2GB per slot and 4GB in total.

You can get RAM from other manufacturers other than Crucial, Kingston and Dell.
a b } Memory
September 25, 2012 6:47:03 PM

As long as the RAM is compatible you are okay, however, DDR2 RAM is quite expensive in comparison to DDR3.
Related resources
September 26, 2012 12:45:19 AM

chugot9218 said:
As long as the RAM is compatible you are okay, however, DDR2 RAM is quite expensive in comparison to DDR3.

But that's the whole question dummy. How do I know it's compatible? I know for a fact that matching the general requirements does not mean a card will be compatible.

For example, I have an old Lenovo J110 7393 with system specific memory. I bought a RAM stick by matching the technology, type, form factor, speed, well everything. But it made my system crash. The guy at the computer store said it was simply "too much" for my computer.

Now how the hell was I supposed to know that?

So this is what I'm asking:
Is there some "thing", some hidden elusive thing about an otherwise perfectly matched RAM stick that will cause it to fail on my Dell GX620 unless I use the system specific RAM?

And just what are these magical qualities of system specific RAM sticks (which the manufacturer never lists) that keeps a user from being able to match compatibility?
a b } Memory
September 26, 2012 1:55:14 PM

Your MOBO should have a QVL that will show compatible memory. There is never a guarantee that adding even an identical stick will work, RAM is sold in sets because those sets have been tested together and been found to work. It would be best to completely remove your old memory and install a new set, but DDR2 is expensive. If you want to post your MOBO model myself or someone else can probably recommend some, although being called a dummy does not motivate me much to help....
September 26, 2012 6:58:43 PM

chugot9218 said:
Your MOBO should have a QVL that will show compatible memory. There is never a guarantee that adding even an identical stick will work, RAM is sold in sets because those sets have been tested together and been found to work. It would be best to completely remove your old memory and install a new set, but DDR2 is expensive. If you want to post your MOBO model myself or someone else can probably recommend some, although being called a dummy does not motivate me much to help....

Sorry for the dummy remark. You had stated the obvious. I got annoyed.
September 26, 2012 7:09:18 PM

MOFO info:

Pentium 4 3.00GHz
Bus 800 MHz
L2 Cache 2MB
Processor ID 0f43
Multicore: NO
HyperThreading: Yes
64-bit : Yes (Intel EM64T)

so what RAM will work with this?
a b } Memory
September 26, 2012 8:41:28 PM

That is your CPU information, going to need the MOBO model to absolutely confirm, but I did look up your PC and got a general idea of what's in it. I think it would be best to completely replace your RAM (taking the old stick out) and buy ones of these kits: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

That link is the full page of RAM that should work in your PC, this is the set I would buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do not recall if you mentioned how much RAM was currently in the machine, you could try buying sticks to match up with that, if it is a set of sticks then you could get another set of two and run them in the opposite slots (RAM can be of different capacities if they are placed in opposing banks, i.e. slot1: 1gb, slot2: 2gb, slot3: 1gb, slot4: 2gb, at least I think this is supported by most MOBOs, I did not get a chance to research yours specifically). Also, depending on the memory controller they can also be of different speeds, it will just throttle down to the lowest speed RAM, but you should get the maximum speed your MOBO can support anyways (667).

*Edit* Ooops forgot to mention, the configuration above is too much for your MOBO, it is 4gb max, that was just an example *Edit*
September 27, 2012 6:16:50 AM

Okay, here is the Dell gx620 specs link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/e...

I currently have 4 256mb RAM sticks. 2 sets of different models properly sorted for the dual channel use.

I think I'll just go and buy some cheap 512 mb sticks and see what happens. This lack of standardization is really annoying. As long as the specs match, one stick should work for all computers, especially within the Dell network.
a b } Memory
September 27, 2012 1:34:08 PM

Well, it's not so much the problem of standardization. Your MOBO can only support certain speeds and types of RAM, however there is a large amount of RAM made by a variety of manufacturers that fit that category. The problem comes in trying to mix RAM, because there can be small variations and manufacturing flaws between product, only sticks that are tested together by the manufacturer can be guaranteed to work together in your system. Adding additional sticks to a set you already have should work, but there is also a chance it won't, and that is why most will just buy a new set of RAM to avoid any potential issues.
September 29, 2012 9:46:40 AM

So should I replace all 4 sticks and make sure they're identical, to be safe? Regardless of the dual-channel?
!