Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2011 6:45:55 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm not very proficient when it comes to computers, so I apologize in advance. My issue is that I recently upgraded to an HD 6870 and I'm not getting the performance that I expected. For example: In Crysis Warhead (1440*900, all settings maxed, no AA), I get an average FPS of about 30. When a lot of action starts happening, things drop well into the 20's, sometimes the teens. Could this be something to do with my computer, or is this to have been expected? Any replies would be appreciated.

My PC specs:
HD 6870 1 GB
3GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 920
Windows 7 Ultimate

More about : 6870 performance issues

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2011 6:47:58 AM

Do you have the latest drivers installed?
m
l
July 14, 2011 6:49:10 AM

Yep, drivers are up to date.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2011 6:59:55 AM

Powersupply?
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 14, 2011 7:07:42 AM

i have a 6850 and core 2 duo, which is less powerful than your setup. i have no issue running crysis warhead maxxed at 1440x900 with 4xaa without dipping below 24fps. I say check your drivers and i also would like to know what PSU you have. Maybe its not giving enough juice.
m
l
July 14, 2011 7:09:29 AM

I believe it's a 500W power supply as this computer setup was previously built to run an HD 4850. But from what I understand the power requirements are pretty similar?
m
l
July 14, 2011 7:26:59 AM

Could it be just game specific? GTA IV never goes below 30 and Just Cause 2 rarely, if ever, dips below 50 (Max settings, no AA)
m
l
July 14, 2011 3:20:01 PM

I think it is Warhead specific.

Warhead is pretty demanding on system resources. I am most concerned with your 3G of system RAM. I would check and make sure nothing else is running in the background - that would do exactly what you are describing. You should have no more than 45 processes running before starting Warhead.

i7 920 is 2.6GHz - right? You would do better with oc'ing it to 3.2GHz.

If you want to see if your GPU is slowing down - run GPUz while gaming and see how its doing - temp and utilization..
m
l
July 14, 2011 5:21:13 PM

vvhocare5 said:
I think it is Warhead specific.

Warhead is pretty demanding on system resources. I am most concerned with your 3G of system RAM. I would check and make sure nothing else is running in the background - that would do exactly what you are describing. You should have no more than 45 processes running before starting Warhead.

i7 920 is 2.6GHz - right? You would do better with oc'ing it to 3.2GHz.

If you want to see if your GPU is slowing down - run GPUz while gaming and see how its doing - temp and utilization..

I ended a bunch of processes until I only had 42 running, and this helped only a little-the lowest I saw the framerate dip to was 22. Could it just be that I need to add more RAM? Or could it be the PSU?
m
l
July 14, 2011 11:12:45 PM

jrd85 said:
I ended a bunch of processes until I only had 42 running, and this helped only a little-the lowest I saw the framerate dip to was 22. Could it just be that I need to add more RAM? Or could it be the PSU?

With only 42 process I would think that 3 GB RAM would be enough, but on the other hand with the info you have given us I would suspect your memory the most. Increasing your memory will allow the video card to reserve more for its own uses which can certainly come in handy when it is under high demand.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 15, 2011 3:38:29 AM

easy way to fix this, decrease all the detail settings, performance should increase. If it doesn't, you know the vid card is not the issue. Also, right click on the crysis icon and select run in dx9 mode. it runs a lot better and you dont see any diff in image quality. having said that, my specs are slightly lower than yours and i am able to run higher detail settings and not drop below 24fps, and i only have 2gb ram....
m
l
!