Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Kicked the wall outlet with my foot and PC died - where to start?

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2011 3:13:16 AM

Hi all,

I was using my computer when I bumped the wall outlet with my foot. It made the plug just loose enough to cut off power. When I plugged it back in, the computer won't boot.

The power button works and the fans spin up; the system even powers down when you hold the power button for five seconds. There is no beeping from the PC speaker, even when I remove RAM, video card, or CPU.

I'm going to start replacing parts, starting with either the power supply or mobo. Does anyone have a guess which I should do first? I'm thinking PSU.

Or... does anyone have some magical trick that might revive the whole thing? (/crosses fingers.) I already tried the CMOS clear jumper...
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 15, 2011 3:34:10 AM

Try another wall outlet.
Score
December 15, 2011 3:47:03 AM

davcon said:
Try another wall outlet.

I already switched plugs (and smacked myself for not doing it earlier...)
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 15, 2011 4:18:14 AM

grivo242 said:
I already switched plugs (and smacked myself for not doing it earlier...)

Problem solved then?
Score
December 15, 2011 6:28:34 PM

No -- now the computer won't POST regardless of which outlet it's plugged into. It has power because the lights come on and the fans spin up, but it does not POST or emit any any beep codes.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 15, 2011 7:14:22 PM

Reset the cmos, could have corrupted config.

PSU could have fried enough to stop giving out enough juice.

Worst case, could have blown the motherboard.

December 18, 2011 12:25:31 AM

Best answer selected by grivo242.
Score
December 18, 2011 12:26:37 AM

Thanks das_stig. I reset the CMOS -- I had to take out the battery while shorting the jumper, which I didn't do the first time around. Everything works! I thought for sure I was gonna have to spend some $$$
Score
!