rafaeshahid_39

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I just wanted to know what effect upgrading my current 4 gb Ram kit to 8 gb will have on performance? Gaming? Currently im running on the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS. My Ram is Corsair 1333 MHz BUS Value Select (2x2gb) kit. I can just see gaming requirements going up gradually as far as Ram is concerned and its relatively quite an inexpensive upgrade but will I experience quite a noticeable change?

cl-scott

Honorable
The answer to that question is both yes and no depending on how you look at it. No, you probably won't see any immediate performance benefits, or maybe ever see any performance benefits unless you compared it to what some games would be like WITHOUT that additional RAM. So there WILL be a performance benefit, but it just won't come into play until you encounter a scenario where you're using in excess of 4GB of RAM, at which point your system will continue on more or less as it does now instead of taking a massive performance hit.

I would go to 8gb and maybe the best way is to get a complete 8gb set that way they are all from the samer mfg series and would be tested together. I would also go with 1600 mhz ram if you get a new set. While games won't use that much ram while playing don't forget there are always things running in the background in Windows that are using resources , I know I have had the resource monitor open while playing a game and my ram usage was at 5 gb and it wasn't all from the game. It's the kind of thing that you don't really notice when you have it but will when you don't. Windows will start grabing hard drive space to be used as ram and that can give a slight slowness to things. If you have a lot of ram , like say 16 gb you can even set the virtual memory to almost notheing and force Windows to use ram instead of virtual memory which is hard drive space. Virtual memory is slower then ram because it's hard drive space that Windows uses as ram.

If your motherboard supports the XMP profile then you can get ram that supports it also making it easy to run the ram at the rated speeds. Motherboards have a default speed rating that they will ryn the ram at and no matter what speed you buy the board will run it at that speed , by having the XMP profile it makes it easy to get the motherboard to run the ram at the rams rated speed.