Change from nvidia to amd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

robenrajan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I need to change my graphics card because it has some issue, it freezes the screen occasionally. My cuurent card is XFX Nvidia 9800GT 512MB. System configuration Intel C2D E7500 2.93 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7. Can I install a AMD 5770 HD or 6770 HD with uninstalling NVidia Drivers and installing AMD Drivers? OR should i go for a Nvidia Graphics card ? If i can install AMD card which one is better (5770 or 6770 or anything else)?

thanks,
RAWBEN

Solution
1) Your 9800GT is a pretty decent card. If it is failing, I think XFX has a lifetime warranty which you should pursue regardless.

2) If, you also want to improve your fps, then make your upgrade a significant one, or you may be disappointed. The 5770/6770 is about the minimum. The GTX550ti will be about the same price and performance.

3) Modern Nvidia cards use the same unified drivers. If your 9800GT driver is current, you should be able to just drop in a new nvidia card.

4) Unless you exclusively play just one game don't anguish over different cards in the same price group. By and large, they will perform about the same; or at least enough the same that you can't tell the difference without a benchmark. The market is...
1) Your 9800GT is a pretty decent card. If it is failing, I think XFX has a lifetime warranty which you should pursue regardless.

2) If, you also want to improve your fps, then make your upgrade a significant one, or you may be disappointed. The 5770/6770 is about the minimum. The GTX550ti will be about the same price and performance.

3) Modern Nvidia cards use the same unified drivers. If your 9800GT driver is current, you should be able to just drop in a new nvidia card.

4) Unless you exclusively play just one game don't anguish over different cards in the same price group. By and large, they will perform about the same; or at least enough the same that you can't tell the difference without a benchmark. The market is very competitive.

5) I suggest you upgrade to a better nvidia card simply for the convenience of not having to clean out drivers.
Get your 9800GT repaired under warranty, and sell it on Ebay. You should get $40-$50 for it.
Use the funds to justify a bigger upgrade.

Solution

It seems (in my case at least) that the driver 'assigns' itself to the card that was in the system when the driver was installed and changing that card seems to cause the driver to go into wibble mode.

New term to me. What is "wibble mode"?
What were your symptoms?

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
i would always clean out the driver, you dont want old config files hanging out and not being overwritten for whatever reason.

your best bet may be to RMA the current card and use what you have lying around.

if you have a sli mobo, or an intel NB with other pcie slots, you could always get a new card and use the 9800 as a physx processor when you get it back from rma.

there is no reason to leave a lifetime warranty go to waste

robenrajan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks Geo, I called XFX, they may get my card repaired or they will replace it.

Of current cards:
GT240 is not as good.
----------p800gt-----------
GTS250 or GTS450 are better.
GTX550ti is better still
All should run on the same psu.
GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX590 needs 700w with 50a on the 12v rails plus two 8-pin PCI-E power leads or 4 6-pin power leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.