First of all thank you for taking the time to read this.
Problem Description: I am experiencing this totally random system lockup, i have had this problem for about 1 month now and spending quite alot of time trying to figure out what is wrong. First of all this lockup can happen no matter what i am doing, playing a game, just listening to itunes, surfing on internet, chatting with friends on mumble, you name it- it can happen! What happens is, i get a 10-15 sec system lock, the sound somewhat continues running the last cycle, i dont get any sound from pressing escape (a menu pop up sound, in a game for example). The image on the screen is locked. Then after about 15-20 secs the system comes back as if nothing happened and merrilly continues on its way. Sometimes if i am playing an online game i get disconnected. I also loose total internet connection while the lockup lasts. I have tried anything that can come into my mind, im gonna list the things i have tried below:
1. Test CPU - done with intelburn test on extreme burn mode for 8 hours - tested with Prime95 for 12 hours. (no errors found or anything).
2. Tested Memory (done with memtest86+, i think it is called. Ran 1 complete test with no errors)
3. Evening out cable routes to hardware components from PSU (no 5 ssd's/hdd's on 1 cable)
4. Re-install of windows and everything, reformatting all game drives.
5. Done 10+ virus/malware scans. Have been running with Kaspersky internet security always.
6. Uninstalled the above program to test if antivirus scans or real-time protection was the cause.
7. Reinstalled all Games, redownloaded all games from steam/blizzard.
8. Watching eventviewer for errors, when the freeze happens. Nothing pops up in eventviewer.
9. Complete Re-assemble of the entire computer.
10. Searching forums and trying to google the issue, this i have done for like 2 hours after the lockup has happened, untill i think i have found something that could be the cause, then told myself: now ive done it! i have fixed, only to be thrown into frustration and despair when it happens next :-/.
Please if anyone knows how to troubleshoot this efficiently, please help me. I do have some funds at my disposal, but i dont really want to go on a hardware buying spree just to find out it is some driver or software problem that can be fixed.
My system specs are below:
CPU: Intel i7 9500K @ 3,5Ghz
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 CL9 1600Mhz @ 1.65v
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5970 2gb GDDR5 with Accelero XTREME 5970 vga cooler fitted. @ Stock freq.
PSU: 1000W Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 140mm
OS: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 Bit (Original!)
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Razer Mamba
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster P2450
Drives: System Drive - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB drive
Game Drive 1 - OCZ Agility 2 120GB drive
Game Drive 2 - Western Digital 3000GLFS 300GB Drive
Storage Drive - Samsung HD103UJ 1TB Drive
I've been hearing not-so-great things about OCZ SSD reliability issues recently around these forums and the web.
There's nothing that stands out in your build that should cause any lock up issues so i think this could narrow it down to being your SSD or HDD. Have a look into some of the OCZ faults people are reporting and see if anyone is experiencing similar problems to yourself.
Also to add: Your processor doesn't exist Not sure if you mean i5-2500k or i7-2600k or something totally different ?
Ok, so i ran tests on the harddrives and ssd's ran a full checkdisk with repair boot sectors, updated firmware on the OCZ ssd's and it still freezes.
i guess that buying hardware spree is not so far away...
What would be most peoples guess ? motherboard, gpu ?
Looking at your describtion of the problem and hardware, I suspect your harddrives. Have you tried running with you system drive only? As in disconnecting the other 3. Try that and see if the problem persists.
I am not deeply into to this area, I have just experienced simalar thing, where my external hdd caused the problem.