Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should i wait for the ivy bridge and bulldozer?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 14, 2011 2:08:29 PM

i have a system running but it is 2 years old running with a core 2 duo processor.i am thinking of buying a new pc next january or june if i am able to collect money.but the hot and fresh 22nm ivy bridge processors and amd's bulldozer is coming supposedly Q3 of 2012.to get the best motherboard and processor for will take another 8 month.and if intel releases the tack( dont you know the tick tack marketing system of intel) processor i have to wait another 6 month.thats make Q4 of 2013.now the question is does the upcoming technologies are so great than the current sandy bridge processors? should wait 14 months more till they come?


help me guys.
September 14, 2011 2:10:56 PM

BullDozer is out in the next few weeks, maybe not even that long away.

IvyBridge is due for Q1 2012.

If your building in June 2012 both new Processors will be out by then including new 7xxx series ATI GPU's and quite probably Nvidia's 6xx series aswell.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 2:11:49 PM

There will always be something new down the road six months. Bulldozer should offer you a nice performance upgrade at a fair price or you can wait longer and see how things shake out with Intel.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 2:17:40 PM

Yep, Earliest reported of Bulldozer is Sept. 19 but I could be wrong ^_^
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 2:20:22 PM

I would say wait until the Ivy Bridge processors come out and go with one of those... and obviously buy a mobo to fit the socket. This way when they make upgraded versions of the Ivy Bridge processor if you feel like upgrading again you already have the mobo for that socket.

Additionally, any new mobos fitting the Ivy Bridge should have the majority of the new tech integrated and if you choose your parts wisely you will have lots of room to expand.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 2:28:31 PM

IvyBridge with an unlocked cpu may be on the expensive side. Initial pricing looks like $583 for a 3930k NOT including the MB ($294 for the LOCKED 3820). Can buy a I7-2600k + MB for that price. However depending on BD (Price/performance) that price could come down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 2:48:00 PM

there is a problem buying a product just after it comes in the market .when intel launched its i family processors there were a huge misunderstanding to find out the right one .there were 1366pin,1156pin and 1155pins .the p67 and h67 motherboards were faulty too.so i am very sure that a stable and reliable product from these family will not be available till Q2 2013.

so should i wait to have those? or i should grab the reliable sandy bridges.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 2:58:31 PM

nibir2011 said:
i have a system running but it is 2 years old running with a core 2 duo processor.i am thinking of buying a new pc next january or june if i am able to collect money.but the hot and fresh 22nm ivy bridge processors and amd's bulldozer is coming supposedly Q3 of 2012.to get the best motherboard and processor for will take another 8 month.and if intel releases the tack( dont you know the tick tack marketing system of intel) processor i have to wait another 6 month.thats make Q4 of 2013.now the question is does the upcoming technologies are so great than the current sandy bridge processors? should wait 14 months more till they come?


help me guys.


In what way is your current pc lacking?

If you are a gamer, the focus should be on the graphics card, more than the cpu. For that, a strong quad will do the job. Few games use more than two or three cores, making hyperthreading and 6 core cpu's of marginal value for gaming. Today, the sandy bridge 2500K is the gamer's cpu of choice in the $200 price range. It is so good, particularly when overclocked, that a future upgrade to ivy pridge will likely not be needed to run the strongest of graphics cards. The 22nm ivy bridge follow on's to the 2500K will be compatible with the P67 and Z68 chipsets if necessary.

If, you run multi core enabled apps, then the more cores the better. It is looking like the upcoming bulldozer 8 core offerings will be good value. But, we have yet to see any benchmarks. Historically, Intel has had cpu's that are more effective per clock, so a comparison without benchmarks will be difficult.
And, a little later this year, the sandy bridge-E will give bulldozer a run for the money at the highest price range. Particularly if you value 32-64gb of ram.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 3:14:36 PM

geofelt said:
In what way is your current pc lacking?

If you are a gamer, the focus should be on the graphics card, more than the cpu. For that, a strong quad will do the job. Few games use more than two or three cores, making hyperthreading and 6 core cpu's of marginal value for gaming. Today, the sandy bridge 2500K is the gamer's cpu of choice in the $200 price range. It is so good, particularly when overclocked, that a future upgrade to ivy pridge will likely not be needed to run the strongest of graphics cards. The 22nm ivy bridge follow on's to the 2500K will be compatible with the P67 and Z68 chipsets if necessary.

If, you run multi core enabled apps, then the more cores the better. It is looking like the upcoming bulldozer 8 core offerings will be good value. But, we have yet to see any benchmarks. Historically, Intel has had cpu's that are more effective per clock, so a comparison without benchmarks will be difficult.
And, a little later this year, the sandy bridge-E will give bulldozer a run for the money at the highest price range. Particularly if you value 32-64gb of ram.


i have seen in many toms hardware articals and reviews that todays gpus like hd6870 or gtx560 has a very good capability to encode game stream so the writters say that duel core processors bottlenecks the gpus capability and by that the quality of game becomes bad even if i have a latest gpu.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 3:23:31 PM

A I5-2500k (esp if has a easy OC to 4.2 GHZ) bottlenecked any GPU??? Have not seen any complaints
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 3:58:22 PM

You might want to read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's.
The tests were done with a GTX480 which is stronger than the GTX560 or 6870 you mentioned.
Even the dual core 2100 shows up very well, besting the X6 1075T. The speed and effectiveness of the individual cores matters.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:00:59 PM

but then i have to buy that processor and mobo. that is what this thread all about
asking you that should i buy sandy bridge or wait for the coming cpus.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:14:57 PM

From your comments, I figure that your interest is in gaming.

If so, go ahead today and get a sandy bridge cpu. It will do the job today and tomorrow.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

If your purchase is in January or june, this discussion is premature.
Just keep abreast of what is being offered.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 5:39:16 PM

Just go for sandy bridge, if you want gpu get a 460 or a 560
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 6:41:58 PM

geofelt said:
You might want to read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's.
The tests were done with a GTX480 which is stronger than the GTX560 or 6870 you mentioned.
Even the dual core 2100 shows up very well, besting the X6 1075T. The speed and effectiveness of the individual cores matters.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...



man that is not dual-core thats a sandy bridge core i3.we all already know how good they are.but my system is not i3 it is a core 2 duo which the writters said to be 2 generations older(it is not like i care about it).what they are trying to say that is those processors bottleneck gpus.

now back to the subject how much performance boost is expected from the next processors by you guys.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 7:09:00 PM

What core 2 duo do you hav, that you wish to compare?

For example, here are the passmark numbers for several dual core cpu's:

pentium D 2.66 = 678
E8400 3.0 = 2252
sandy bridge i3-2100 3.1 = 3859
athlon x2 260 3.2 = 1930
phenom x2 555 @3.2 = 1990.

Note that the older chips are not as effective as the newer chips on a performance per clock basis,
and that the amd chips are not as effective as the newest intel sandy bridge.

ivy bridge is supposed to be 20% more efficient per clock, but I have my doubts that it will be that good.
You can expect ivy bridge to clock higher and run cooler for the same dollar.

m
0
l
September 14, 2011 7:11:38 PM

Ivybridge should be > 20% (possibly 40%) performance over IB I7 (How much improvement in gaming, probably not a high percentage) and it adds native support for USB 3 and PCI-e 3.0 plus a few other features. However in terms of gaming, I don't think the Cost/performance is really worth it @ about 800 bucks for cpu and MB alone over an OCed SB I5-2500K. Just My opinion. As for BD, comes out very shortly so should see price/performance. I know that I'm not about to trade my I5-2500k for BD.
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 6:14:44 AM

but several toms hardware review said that though ivy bridge was supposed to have pci-x 3.0 but it will not have that.
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 10:25:57 AM

geofelt said:
What core 2 duo do you hav, that you wish to compare?

For example, here are the passmark numbers for several dual core cpu's:

pentium D 2.66 = 678
E8400 3.0 = 2252
sandy bridge i3-2100 3.1 = 3859
athlon x2 260 3.2 = 1930
phenom x2 555 @3.2 = 1990.

Note that the older chips are not as effective as the newer chips on a performance per clock basis,
and that the amd chips are not as effective as the newest intel sandy bridge.

ivy bridge is supposed to be 20% more efficient per clock, but I have my doubts that it will be that good.
You can expect ivy bridge to clock higher and run cooler for the same dollar.


my one is e7400 2.8 ghz
i am still thinking about that am i going to have a shock if i buy sandy bridge 2500k. because the coming cpus can be more better and cheap like s.b. .and what if the price of current s.b. is very much lessened.i am not thinking to buy something which is already called backdated .i want to keep my pc playing top quality games for at least 3 year so if any revolutionary change happens in the gpu market it is a possibility that my processor(2500k) can bottleneck my gpu.though all is my imigination.it can happen or not happen.

what do you think?
m
0
l
January 29, 2012 9:55:45 AM

buy intel no matter what cpu you diside from what i read bulldozer is 1-2 years from having the multi thread programs to make it better than current intel buy intel dont waste money on a room heater all amd is good for producing large quantities of heat for less
m
0
l
!