Netgear warranty is a scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge89

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I purchased my wireless router back in October and one day it wouldn't turn on at all when plugged in, I called technical support and after hours of getting transferred around someone decided to finally help me. I had to pay to have the defective unit shipped to them and waited a couple weeks to get the new one back, to my surprise it was also not working, this one will turn on for a few seconds and then turn back off, I had to call Netgear's mediocre customer service again (well technically they don't even have customer service, just technical support) after hours wasted someone told me I'd get a call back from customer service that same day, I didn't. The next day (monday) I called them back, hours wasted again, some one told me that some one would call me for sure that day, they didn't. The next day (Tuesday) I called again wondering why even bother, when I finally got a hold of someone that would actually talk to me they "promised" me they would send me a call back that day, and of course they didn't. Netgear's warranty is a scam, don't buy Netgear if you read this, and I will post this in all technical forums I can find in Google. I actually posted this in Netgear's forums first to see if anyone cared about the company's image, well they do, instead of helping me they just deleted the post.

buyerbeware03

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
:hello:

buyerbeware03

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I purchased Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router at Comp USA in Oct. 2011 for about $80. Recently, the modem started dropping the internet connection Big Time -- really annoying. I called Comp USA in April/2012, and they told me their product guarantee is for 30 days -- what does that mean? -- it means nothing, only that you have 30 days to return the item to them -- not a guarantee of product, it's their return policy. They told me to call Netgear. I called twice -- 2nd time, the person I was talking with told me that they support all kinds of IT companies even though the search comes up with Netgear.

About my Netgear purchase, they said that the SW warranty had run out after 6 months, news to me (there may be some limited warranty for up to a year on the HW). I was told that I can buy a new warranty from them now at over $100 and they would fix/update the SW on my modem for me. Why would I pay >$100 for a new 1-YR SW warranty for a modem that cost $80 new? What a rip-off/scam. I think this may be some over-seas outfit with no scrupples who's only goal is to make money. Never again will I buy Netgear nor recommend it. And, buyer beware, when you go to Comp USA or other such stores, be sure to get the real story beyond the sales pitch story. I like Comp USA -- but I wonder, do they care if Netgear SW warrantys expire in 6 months and the new warranty is more costly that the original modem purchase? Moral of the story -- watch out for "Robbing Hood", wherever he lurks -- for he and his bands of merry men can be lurking anywhere to lighten your picket book. :hello:

Status
Not open for further replies.