Power_Serge

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how (or even if) I can upgrade my current computer to be able to play SWTOR. According to 'Can You Run It' I only fail on my processor (which seems to be an error) and my graphics card. I'm hoping that with my current setup a new graphics card is all that is needed, but I'm not sure what kind is best suited for my specific computer and the game itself. My specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: NP236AA-ABA s5117c
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4086MB RAM
Page File: 2320MB used, 5848MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

Display Devices
0x8086-0x29C2 PCI
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 256 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 256 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2009
Monitor Id: HWP2827
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15

I'm hoping that someone can just tell me what my problems may be and what I need to fix them. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, just so you know, when I currently try to start up the game my screen goes black for about 3-4 seconds and then just returns to the home screen. Thanks again in advance for any help you guys can give me!

Power_Serge

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Well, I have run WoW on lower settings without difficulty... Would it help if I told you that I would be content with just playing the storyline solo and avoiding any battleground/flashpoint/stressful computing environments? :)

I honestly just want to play the Game, I'm not looking to go raiding or PvP'ing or anything like that, I'm mainly an xbox guy that loves Kotor and wants to play this as an RPG, anything else is a bonus for me at this point.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

You should be able to run it if you upgrade to a decent Video card being that SWTOR is easy on the CPU however that Pentium Dual Core will still be the weak point however try a new video card get something like a Radeon 6850 and if the performance still is not acceptable to you upgrade the mobo ram and CPU as well.

Power_Serge

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Well I would love to do that, but I'm not really sure how to go about that and even then I'm
not exactly rolling in the dough if you know what I mean ;)

As far as my family is concerned our current computer is more than capable of handling whatever
trivial tasks it currently has to do. I've even challenged it with running AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer
for building engineering models and, while slow, it works reasonably well.

If I didn't have a PCI-e slot I'm guessing upgrade would be my only option though...

Say I did have to upgrade everything, would I be building off of what I have, or starting from scratch?
And how much would either path cost(about)?

Thank you guys for responding!

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Step 1 - upgrade your existing rig to play SWTOR with a new GPU.

Step 2 - If step 1 does not achieve satisfactory results come back to TH forums and we will help you out.

Step 3 - Step 1 should be all you need to do IMHO to achieve satisfaction.

TRENDING THREADS