Image re-sizing

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 9:02:34 AM

Sorry for what might be an obvious question to most but I would
appreciate a little advice on re-sizing an image.
I currently have an image which is appreox 3.4 mb which I have been
asked to send via e-mail at 100k.
Using photoshop I go to Image size and adjust the pixel dimension to
340 x 252 and save the JPEG at highest quality (12) and 72 pixels/inch.
However although the image is very good when I send the image it
appears quite small. Saving the image at a lesser image quality for a
smaller file increases the size dispalyed but the image is noticeably
poorer when dispalyed.
I am a little confused however in that I have an e-mail which has been
sent to me which has various pictures attached.
These are reasonable quality (on monitor),display a larger image when
opened, yet are only 30-40k in size !
I would appreciate therefore any (easy) advice as to the best method to
produce a 100k image which is going to give the best quality but yet be
dispalyed at a reasonable size when sent.
( I understand quality v size is probably a trade off ) but your help
is appreciated as to date I havn't really had to bother in reducing
files for this purpose.

Rob.

More about : image sizing

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:26:18 PM

Eos wrote:
> Sorry for what might be an obvious question to most but I
> would
> appreciate a little advice on re-sizing an image.
> I currently have an image which is appreox 3.4 mb which I have
> been
> asked to send via e-mail at 100k.

This does seem to be a perennial question but I have found
Photoshop Elements "Save for web" and Microsoft's Resize to
produce results that most find acceptable in an e-mail. There
are many other program commands that people will mention.

Jim.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:07:56 PM

On 4/1/05 7:02 AM, in article
1112360554.105979.5510@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Eos"
<eos9@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for what might be an obvious question to most but I would
> appreciate a little advice on re-sizing an image.
> I currently have an image which is appreox 3.4 mb which I have been
> asked to send via e-mail at 100k.
> Using photoshop I go to Image size and adjust the pixel dimension to
> 340 x 252 and save the JPEG at highest quality (12) and 72 pixels/inch.
> However although the image is very good when I send the image it
> appears quite small. Saving the image at a lesser image quality for a
> smaller file increases the size dispalyed but the image is noticeably
> poorer when dispalyed.
> I am a little confused however in that I have an e-mail which has been
> sent to me which has various pictures attached.
> These are reasonable quality (on monitor),display a larger image when
> opened, yet are only 30-40k in size !
> I would appreciate therefore any (easy) advice as to the best method to
> produce a 100k image which is going to give the best quality but yet be
> dispalyed at a reasonable size when sent.
> ( I understand quality v size is probably a trade off ) but your help
> is appreciated as to date I havn't really had to bother in reducing
> files for this purpose.
>
> Rob.

Why a 340 x 252 image size? On a monitor that displays 96ppi (most monitors
today display more than 72ppi) your image will be only about 3.5 in. by 2.5
in. at full size. You don't say what lower compression quality you have
tried but a quality of 8 rather than 12 usually produces good results. I
would create an image of somewhat larger dimensions and use a higher
compression.
Chuck
Related resources
April 1, 2005 7:26:19 PM

Hi Rob,

Resize as you are doing to 800x? (? will depend on original image ratio).
DO NOT alter the pixel/inch setting from the original images value!
Save as JPEG quality 7
Hopefully this should give you roughly what you're after.

The constraint is the 100K size demand. To get a 1024 image to fit you'd
have to use level 5 compression on saving the JPEG which is a bit too much
for my liking.

What is the need for the 100K constraint? 175-180 would allow an image
1280x? at level 7 compression that (on screen) is almost indistinguishable
from original quality.

Regards

DM

"Eos" <eos9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for what might be an obvious question to most but I would
> appreciate a little advice on re-sizing an image.
> I currently have an image which is appreox 3.4 mb which I have been
> asked to send via e-mail at 100k.
> Using photoshop I go to Image size and adjust the pixel dimension to
> 340 x 252 and save the JPEG at highest quality (12) and 72 pixels/inch.
> However although the image is very good when I send the image it
> appears quite small. Saving the image at a lesser image quality for a
> smaller file increases the size dispalyed but the image is noticeably
> poorer when dispalyed.
> I am a little confused however in that I have an e-mail which has been
> sent to me which has various pictures attached.
> These are reasonable quality (on monitor),display a larger image when
> opened, yet are only 30-40k in size !
> I would appreciate therefore any (easy) advice as to the best method to
> produce a 100k image which is going to give the best quality but yet be
> dispalyed at a reasonable size when sent.
> ( I understand quality v size is probably a trade off ) but your help
> is appreciated as to date I havn't really had to bother in reducing
> files for this purpose.
>
> Rob.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:39:54 PM

"Eos" <eos9@hotmail.com> schrieb
> I would appreciate therefore any (easy) advice as to the best method to
> produce a 100k image which is going to give the best quality but yet be
> dispalyed at a reasonable size when sent.
With cPicture you can resize by file size.
There is the pixel size (480x320 for example), the file size and the JPEG
quality.
You can choose two of them and the 3rd is calculated.
For example you set 100KB and 480x320, you will probably end up with a very
good quality.
If you choose a larger picture size and still 100KB, you will end up with a
lower quality of course.
And if you strip the picture data before sending as EMail (picture meta data
like EXIF can be 20-30KB), you can also gain quality.
!