Sign in with
Your question

New PC's CPU Running At -52.8% Overclock

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2011 12:30:46 PM

I just bought a new PC, and found the graphics were running far below what they should be. Lots of pain and headscratching later, I found through CPU-Z and OCCT that my CPU might be the bottleneck - it's an AMD FX 4100 4 core @ 3.6GHz. OCCT tells me it's running at around -52.8% Overclock.

I'm not hugely familiar with BIOS and wondered if there was anything specific I want to be doing to sort this out.

Mobo is an MSI 720GM-P23FX.

Thank you!

More about : cpu running overclock

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 12:33:42 PM

It's pretty much impossible really for a quad-core CPU with that kind of frequency to bottleneck a GPU in games.

Unless your CPU is constantly showing 95%+ CPU utilization across 2+ cores, you should be fine.

Out of interest, what GPU are you using?
December 15, 2011 12:43:34 PM

It's a Radeon HD 6770.

Mostly I'm trying to run World of Warcraft with it, and the performance on it is...less than half of my old PC which is 3 years old. Every component in the new one is an upgrade. And it leaves WoW unplayable.

At first I thought it was WoW, but installing other games provides the same result. I ran benchmarks on it with Unigine Heaven - and the FPS is about 17, overall score 440. Really not up to par for what I think it should be pulling.

This is the new PC: http://www.dragoncomputers.nl/component/page,shop.produ...

The old one has an Intel Dual Core @ 3GHz, Radeon HD 4850, 4GB RAM. It's being replaced due to a faulty motherboard.

On WoW the new one does about 30fps normally, 1-5fps in a 25 man raid. Old one does 70fps normally, 20-40 in a 25 man raid environment.

The CPU is really the last thing that's been recommended to me that seems likely (and is not running as it should). Otherwise it's going to be pulling out components to swap around.

Finally yes, all the drivers are 100% up to date. I promise!
Related resources
December 15, 2011 1:13:00 PM

Open Catalyst, check card frequencies, if they are locked lower than the specified frequencies closed all applications and see if it changes the frequencies.

With youtube open and playing games my 5870 with drop to 900 MHz from 1250 MHz.
December 15, 2011 1:35:08 PM

joedjnpc said:
Open Catalyst, check card frequencies, if they are locked lower than the specified frequencies closed all applications and see if it changes the frequencies.

With youtube open and playing games my 5870 with drop to 900 MHz from 1250 MHz.

When I have everything idle it's well below max frequencies but as soon as I open a game it'll hit max. Opening Firefox etc also maxes it for a short time.

Honestly I'm not knowledgable enough on this to know whether that's right or no. :/ 
December 15, 2011 1:42:05 PM

There are different frequency settings for whatever task you are running, while doing nothing your GPU will idle at pretty low frequencies. I'd recommend getting GPU-Z, run it while playing WoW and make sure it's not your card that's the problem.
December 15, 2011 1:50:18 PM

Could also be some overly strict power management settings. Was having issues with my 1090t and 5770 on Win7 until I changed some of them from defaults. Otherwise really your new system is pretty well equal to your old one or slightly better so it shouldn't be performing that much worse. Clean install of windows and all that?
a c 80 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 1:58:00 PM

If you have just brought it, talk to your supplier, make them fix it, you have paid for that service.
Checl nothing has come loose, do you have power plugged into the card? What are the card temps?
December 15, 2011 1:58:36 PM

It seems to sit pretty steady at core 850 and memory 1200MHz while WoW is running. Temp being about 54C.
a c 80 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 2:06:35 PM

ok, so its not throttling because of high temps, and those clocks look about right, anyone else have an opinion on the clocks?

This is as close to a comparison that I can get, a 4850 will be a bit slower than the 4870, and the 6770 will be slower than the 6850.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=291
There should be some improvement but it'll be small-medium as you've dropped from high-end 48XX to mid range 67XX.

Is power plugged into the card?

How you spoken to your retailer?
December 15, 2011 2:14:14 PM

It's not a card problem at all I don't think judging by temps and clocks, WoW is pretty CPU intensive, you could perhaps have a faulty CPU that for whatever reason is running underclock.

Get CPU-Z and check the clocks of your cpu while running a game? Check your CPU temps aswell, maybe it wasn't properly installed and is trying to cool itself off by lowering clocks.
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2011 3:10:12 PM

Sounds like you're running at Max settings which the 6770 can't handle. Even the 6850 can't handle 60fps constant with max settings.

Also I've found if you have a web browser open which has something being GPU accelerated (Youtube or other flash) it can really bring down performance even when minimized. GPU-Z will show the card not going to idle when the browser is loaded.
December 15, 2011 3:18:39 PM

Cazalan said:
Sounds like you're running at Max settings which the 6770 can't handle. Even the 6850 can't handle 60fps constant with max settings.

Also I've found if you have a web browser open which has something being GPU accelerated (Youtube or other flash) it can really bring down performance even when minimized. GPU-Z will show the card not going to idle when the browser is loaded.

It does state in the thread I was running at low settings on the new PC, high/ultra on my old one. ;) 

That aside, I managed to fix the problem.

To whoever thought that it's impossible for a quad core to throttle that kind of GPU - afraid not, it's very possible. Some messing around with power settings in the BIOS and the CPU was restored to its factory clock speed. With that fixed, the graphics are now completely fine.

Mystery solved!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 4:08:40 PM

use hwinfo32 to check gpu and cpu usage

i think it is cpu which is holding you behind
do a bios update, this will solve the issue
my card is also sapphire radeon hd 6770 and it is better than 4850
850/1200 are the right working clocks for 6770, it idles at 157/300
what power supply you are using
December 15, 2011 4:13:09 PM

Also quite possible you had what would be called a false overclock on it. With AMD procs if it's not a black edition and you try and OC using the multiplier it'll let you raise it. And let you think you've OCed. But at the same time it will lower the base clock of the system to compensate for it, thus lowering ram, pci-e and hyper transport speed all at the same time. Learned about all this while playing around with a Phenom 9600be back in the day.
!