Buy now or wait for ivy bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaiZack

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,
I am planning to get the ASUS ROG cg8565, and i now it runs on i7 2600k. so should I get it now or wait for the new ivy bridge processors? That is will the ivy bridge processors blow the i7 2600k out of the water?

Solution
i had the same question you ask and decided not to wait for ivy bridge now some z68 boards have pci-e 3.0--just put together a pc today with a 2600k in it

and a generation 3 z68 board and 16gb ram--this will take an ivybridge cpu when they come out as far as i know

and it has pci-e 3.0 support

so far really impressed with it--came from an i7-920 at 4.2ghz and this is faster and much cooler

idles at 19c with room temperature of 15c and highest temperature i have seen so far under normal use is 57c at 5ghz--i dont bother with prime95 if its stable during all the stuff i usually do then thats fine for me i dont need to torture test it

using a corsair h80 to cool it--and the asus ai auto tune on extreme set it at 4.80ghz with a click...

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
i7-2600k and i5-2500k are both solid processors. There's really not much reason to wait around for IvyBridge. While it will provide some performance gains (or at least it's supposed to), its not going to be a great deal, especially when used with a discrete GPU.

i had the same question you ask and decided not to wait for ivy bridge now some z68 boards have pci-e 3.0--just put together a pc today with a 2600k in it

and a generation 3 z68 board and 16gb ram--this will take an ivybridge cpu when they come out as far as i know

and it has pci-e 3.0 support

so far really impressed with it--came from an i7-920 at 4.2ghz and this is faster and much cooler

idles at 19c with room temperature of 15c and highest temperature i have seen so far under normal use is 57c at 5ghz--i dont bother with prime95 if its stable during all the stuff i usually do then thats fine for me i dont need to torture test it

using a corsair h80 to cool it--and the asus ai auto tune on extreme set it at 4.80ghz with a click of the mouse--10 minutes in the bios and its now at 5ghz

Solution

WaiZack

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
From what i understand is that IB will provide a great improvement in the integrated graphics area, but is that improvement relevant at all since i'm planning to use a discrete graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.