Sign in with
Your question

No power to PCI slot when GPU plugged in.

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2011 1:09:49 PM

Hello, I recently brought a ATi Radeon HD 6770 for my computer as an early christmas present.

My setup is:
M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard
CiT 550W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Asus ___ DVD Drive
6GB RAM
AMD Athlon II x4 640 3Ghz Processor

I opened the case, placed the card and screwed it in and connected the 6-pin connector to the graphics card and moved the wireless network card down to the second PCI slot as there would be no room with the ASUS fan being in the way from the graphics card.

When I boot my computer I installed the latest AMD drivers and there and behold I could play Skyrim in ultra settings at 60 FPS.

But.... No internet access. Windows Zero Configuration says there are no nearby connection points. The wireless card is registered in Device Manager with no exclamation marks etc and when I troubleshoot using windows 7s tool it says it is detected... I looked at the LED on the wireless card and it is off? which got me thinking no power is going to it?

So I unplugged the graphics card and booted and I have internet access! I want both at the same time and this is frustrating me. I will buy a stronger PSU is that is the issue but im not forking on money if it isnt.

I have tried flashing the BIOS to the most recent version and windows 7 repair and some other stuff but now im getting desperate and nothing I do fixes the issue.

Please help? :sweat: 
December 15, 2011 2:21:21 PM

thats strange, 550W should be well enough, but at this point i would say its coz of the psu (not enough)... do you have an integrated net adapter?

and when you unplug you 6770 do you move the net card at all?
December 15, 2011 2:21:53 PM

err and also have you tried reinstalling drivers if they came with
December 15, 2011 2:45:40 PM

SOLVED: I took the wireless network card out, booted without and then put it back and booted and hey presto its working.

So typical but thanks for your help anyway!
Related resources
!