Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I've heard a lot of talk from a lot of people but is anyone here running an AMD FX-4100?
Don't just throw out a bunch of benchmarks. Is anyone actually running this processor?

Solution

Hello im a owner of a fx 4100 cpu i have a gpu radeon hd 6870 mobo asus m5a97 evo and 4gb ram, atleats for me, this cpu works great, im able 2 play games like skyrim, bf3, dead island, starcraft 2, all at max settings in 1920x1080 1080p with out any problems, i choose it for the am3 and the price, i was about 2 buy a phenom x4 965 be, but i choose this1.

i hope this help u on your desition. btw i didint OC my cpu

Ulkesh

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I actually built a rig yesterday running the FX4100, 9 series AM3+ Asus Motherboard and an Asus Radeon 6850. I havent had much time on it but I like everything I've experienced so far. I played a couple of games of Star Craft 2 at between 70-110 FPS and smooth play. Overall its a 7.2 on the WEI. Its a worthy upgrade to my Athlon II X4 620

I am pretty sure it runs things pretty well, the trouble starts when it turns into a "not as good as" debates. For its price it is a decent alternative to Intels lower end chips. It will be interesting to see how your experiences pan out.

AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

Your athlon II X4 620 is a few tiers higher than my dual core E6750 is (According to the Gaming cpu heirarchy chart). I'm just looking for some feedback from people who have actually used these. As sarinaide has stated all I have heard so far is "not as good as" but the price is cheap and the OC potential is high. Plus if you have an AM3+ board your set for a little while.

so you dont want factual information, you just want some random persons opinion. Because with a statement like that, its all your going to get. Benchmarks are the only factual way to measure a cpu's performance, and the FX 4100 performs worse than amd's previous generation Phenom II x4 line. Just because a couple of people are running them and they say they perform "fine" is just an opinion, not a fact.

AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

I suppose I could have phrased my first post a little differently. The point was that anyone can browse the charts and say this is the best or that is the best. I was merely asking those who have actually built a system with these chips to share their experiences, good or bad on how they perform in real gaming situations and so forth. Which is what Ulkesh has done. Apparently Ulkesh is the only person who has actually built a system with an FX-4100. If you are into gaming (as I am) and visit the pc gaming forum you'll see people are running BF3 / Skyrim / MW3 / SC2 and other of the latest games on some older hardware with minimal problems.

AtomicZ

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

So then the bottom line is what platform you want to invest in. 1155 or AM3+.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
My system:
FX-4100 OC'd to 4.7ghz
Corsair Air series A50
Corsair Vengeance OC'd to 1700mhz
Sapphire HD 5850 Crossfire, OC'd to 891/4700mhz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Antec Three hundred Case
Antec High current pro 850W

I love this CPU. Sure it doesn't win all the benchmarks, but it runs very fast. It overclocks amazing and stays cool. I can play all current games on Ultra with great frame rates. If you wanted opinions, then here is mine: This is a great CPU for the money! And the great thing about upgrading to this CPU is you will have an AM3+ board that will fit new CPU's down the road. For $130 you can't go wrong with this piece.

So you want to ignore benchmarks, test that prove how poor a performer the Bulldozer is...ok. In that case sure the Bulldozer is great, it destroys Intel and it's the greatest CPU ever.. :pfff: :pfff:

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

he is not interested in destroying intel bro, he just wants to know from personal experience if its a good chip

Obviously someone doesn't understand sacrasm. He wants to know if it's a good CPU or not the quick answer is no it's really not.

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Rds1220: That is such a garbage Intel fanboy response. The Bulldozer didn't live up to the hype, we get it. But the FX-4100 is a very nice upgrade and works very well. And overclocks amazing while staying cool. I have been running it for a couple months now and couldn't be happier. Get off your high horse and realize that just because it doesn't bench mark well doesn't mean it's not a good solution for a low cost gaming system.

And PS, for someone not looking to blow their whole wad on an expensive system. You can get a good Gigabyte board/FX-4100 combo for $240 at NCIX right now. That's almost the cost for one of your fancy holy-er than thou i5 CPUs alone.

Hype doesn't even begin to describe all the problems with the Bulldozer. It's slow, slower then the old phenom. Even when over clocked to it's max it can't beat the Phenom and doesn't even touch the I5. It's not a good chip it's poor at best. Look at the benchmarks the facts are right there. It's a piss poor chip and the fact that people still buy it is sad. You are obviously an AMD fanboy who lives in your AMD fantasy world. Keep telling yourself the Bulldozer isn't that bad if that's what helps you sleep at night and gives you relief from knowing you bought an over hyped CPU.

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I'm actually fairly new to AMD and like the fact that you don't have to change your board every time you want to upgrade a CPU. Junk? I don't think so. Not the greatest CPU out there, but good for the price. When the Piledriver comes out and if it's a worthwhile upgrade, I will buy it, swap it out, then fire up my machine and it will work without any screwing around. That's why I like AMD.

O and no I'm not an Intel fan boy Im an AMD hater. Everything I have owned by AMD has been nothing but Another Major Dissapointment. Phenom II had disappointing performance and IMO was noticeably slow especially now when compared to the I5. Cheap 5570 video card was junky but that's to be expected. That's not the problem the problem came with AMD's drivers. Radeon 6970 was good but I wasn't impressed, had problems with it and again had trouble with the latest drivers. So Im done with AMD and will never buy another AMD CPU or video card. If they go under I could really care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.