Cpu Temp Too High?

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
So windows finished installing some updates,i needed to restart my pc.

After restarting it my cpu temp went from 30.0c Idle to 55.0c idle.

Are there some causes that makes the cpu heat too high?

any recommendations what to do?

Thanks

The cpu is intel core i7 950

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Utorrent is running,and nod32-5 but no the antivirus is not running a scan at the moment.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Well if a program is running, then the temps your looking at aren't "idle".

For an idle temperature reading your CPU usage should be at 0% with uTorrent running, I don't think this would be possible.

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Nothing is running man,only utorrent and the cpu temp is 47c at the moment.

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Alright,i just added some new thermal paste and it seems the cpu went to 29.5c at idle.

But sometimes even at idle it jumps from 30.0 to 35.0 and then imidietally after 2 seconds it returns to 30.0c is it normal?

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

I am using ALSUITE program from the asus motherboard disk,you make the fan noise lower,or you can turn it to "Turbo,standart etc"

currently its on turbo 50% fan speed.

Ill use your program,thanks.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
If the system is at idle, there's no way turbo should be kicking in.

HWMonitor is another great temp monitoring tool, it will show CPU/GPU temps and record the lowest, highest and current temperate while the application is running.

Use task manager to end all non-essential application processes in order to get a true idle reading.

28-33 degree's should be around the right mark depending upon ambient temperature. Based on that when you applied new thermal paste the temp dropped, it's likely the first application of paste just wasn't sufficient first time around.

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Thanks.